Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q: Visiting Pyrenees: Rent bike near Tourmalet?

• 23-07-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    I'm heading to the Basque country very soon for about a week (sister's wedding), and will be heading towards the Pyrenees for approx 4 days afterwards.

Unfortunately, I can't bring my bike over with me this time - but would love to rent a road-bike out so I tackle a few of the Pyrenees climbs we've been seeing over the past week on Le Tour! (Tourmalet in particular). :eek:

Has anyone been to that region before & are you aware of any bike rental shops in the viscinity? I'll bring my pedals, shoes etc...

I've been to the Basque country several times & am sorted for a bike there. Unfortunately however, I know nowt about the Pyrenees & a steer from any cycling boardsies who know the area, would be appreciated!

Also - any recommendations on wee gems of villages to stay or places to see in the Pyrenees? I am being given a lend of a camper van - so am free to roam!

Cheers

The Don

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There is a guy who posts here, Velopeloton, who is based there, Paddy from Navan, despite that a very nice guy... www.velopeloton.com highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

blorg wrote: »
    There is a guy who posts here, Velopeloton, who is based there, Paddy from Navan, despite that a very nice guy... www.velopeloton.com highly recommended.

Nice one Blorg. Thanks for that.

Vinny from "Drawda" will give Paddy from "Neeeavan" a shout then!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

You can rent a bike from Hubert Arbes Bike Shop in Lourdes.
    http://www.cycles-arbes.com/
    Lourdes is about 30km from the start of the Tourmalet climb. Hautacam, Luz Ardiden, Soulor, Aubisque are all in that area.
    There is also a bike shop in Argeles Gazost which is nearer again to the Tourmalet but not sure if they rent bikes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

While most people go to the iconic climbs in the Pyrenees I would highly highly recommend the Bagnere de Bigorres to Argeles Gazost via Junclas and Ger. There is one absolute bitch of a climb (Col de Courette? about 6km averaging 10-11%, with max in the 20%), but most of the cycle is thro amazing forest. One of the most spectacular cycles that I have ever done, despite the pain of of the first climb. Once over that it is rolling all the way the base of the Hautacam (which is a bit tough).
    This valley alone was nicer than some of the iconic climbs that we did IMO.
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/127245

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Haldir wrote: »
    You can rent a bike from Hubert Arbes Bike Shop in Lourdes.
    http://www.cycles-arbes.com/

I was over in the Pyrenees a short while ago and rent a bike from them (rather it was organised for me). I wouldn't go near them again, would prefer to run it!! Seriously I paid €100 for a "decent" racer and I got a Giant Defy that must be 10 years old - you would be pushed to buy it for €100!! I weighted the bike and it was 11kg. We got loads of punctures, the rim tape was very poor quality, we had to buy new rim tape from the bike shop in Argeles Gazost and put new ones on them. I would strongly recommend to hire your bike elsewhere if possible.

There is also a bike shop in Argeles Gazost which is nearer again to the Tourmalet but not sure if they rent bikes there.

I think I know the bike shop that Haldir is referring to, I was in here buying rim tape for the bike above. The French wouldn't be great but I'm pretty sure there was a notice on the door saying bikes for hire. You could give them a call, one fella behind the counter had decent English. You could ask them what bikes they have for hire, but they can't be worse than the ones hired by the bike shop in Lourdes.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »

I'm wary of disagreeing with Blorg on the basis he knows and have done waaaaay more than I ever will do on a bike, but I wouldn't highly recommend him. He's grand but I'd be surprised if you didn't get a lot better value in a 3 star hotel, rather than sharing a room with 3 others!!

Other than having your gear washed, I don't know what else Paddy offers extra for cyclists that a normal hotel wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Toblerone1978 sounds like the poor quality rented bike soured your holiday experience somewhat. Paddy does say on his site that he "strongly recommend you take your own. The riding here is very hard and your own bike will be most comfortable". http://www.velopeloton.com/

Myself and everyone else from Naas CC took our own bikes and had a brilliant cycling holiday in La Lanterne Rouge in early June. Some were back for their second year. Paddy and Olive looked after us very well and the biggest problem we will have next year is trying to get a vacant week as word spreads about the 'good value' and views of The Tourmalet from the bedroom windows :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

Thanks guys

I might play it by ear whether or not to rent. I'll be in the Basque country for a week before I hit the Pyrenees. My sister lives over there & her local Basque pals are cycling daft and a few have offered to lend me a bike. There are a number of pro & semi-pro teams around where she lives & all her cycling pals have bought 2nd hand pro bikes at knock down prices - so if I borrowed one, it'd be top kit!! :cool:

Was a bit wary of borrowing someone else's pride & joy & sticking it on the back of a camper to head to the mountains. But - if its on offer & the only alternative is renting an 11kg auld Giant, I might just take them up on the offer!!

Thanks for the steer on those other climbs - I'll defo look to take a few of those on!

Cheers
    The Don

Toblerone1978 sounds like the poor quality rented bike soured your holiday experience somewhat. Paddy does say on his site that he "strongly recommend you take your own. The riding here is very hard and your own bike will be most comfortable". http://www.velopeloton.com/

Not at all, I loved it over there. The scenery is breath-taking (hikers would love the Pyrenees), the climbs were great fun and I didn't get sunburned - brilliant!! I would recommend a cycling holiday to the Pyrenees to anyone, particularly if they like climbing. The bike didn't dampen the spirit one bit (well perhaps when I got the 8 puntures in 6 days)!, but that aside, I'm a poor climber anyway :D.

I'm just pointing out faults with an hiring a bike from the particular shop mentioined. The punctures were mostly due to poor rim and tyres - leaving a side the terrible quality and weight of the bike, that is something that could have been avoided. But yeah, I was expecting to get a bike a bit better than a 11kg too. From my very recent experience, I would advise that if there's an alternative access to a bike, take it!

I don't lay the fault with Paddy for the bike hire. Velo Petelon is grand, but unlike Blorg I wouldn't highly recommend it. If I was to go back again, I'd probably get a hotel with leisure facilities and I would be only sharing the room with one person rather than three - I don't think there would be a huge different in price. It's just my honest opinion.

Advertisement