Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dame St. Dublin tonite 22:50ish almost got knocked down

• 23-07-2010 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I was cyclin along and some idiot decides to turn without using his indicators, at the traffic lights past Ulster bank, I had to speed up or I was gone, he clipped my back wheel but I managed to control the bike, stopped about 15meters after and looked back, there were a couple of witnesses and he hadnt fully turned- his indicators weren on that time so I'm 100% he didnt indicate as I was coming, because thats why I didnt see him coming in the first place!

I'm always aware of traffic around me, always wear a high vis jacket, front and rear lights and I now have a bell too. what can I do, would the Gardai bother looking thru CCTV footage? I couldnt go back to him as I had to get to Tesco before 11pm. I dont know what I would have done if I had gone back, when I looked back I just shouted back "Indicators!!!", amazing it wasnt something else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think that if no-one is actually injured, there's no chance of the Gardai looking into it in any shape or form.

Was the car turning left across you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

That turn at the Ulster Bank is a no left turn. Unless you are talking about the next turn i.e. to go up Trinity St.

And this is probably a good reminder that you should always take the lane in city centre traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

penexpers wrote: »
    That turn at the Ulster Bank is a no left turn. Unless you are talking about the next turn i.e. to go up Trinity St.

And this is probably a good reminder that you should always take the lane in city centre traffic.

trinity street that goes by the tommy hilfiger shop? ye the one after ulster bank, almost across from the central bank.

I thought the gardai could do him for dangerous driving? Ive had cars knock me down in the past with witnesses that took my side, had falls with them but luckily no major damage was done, but I'm fed up with it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

penexpers is right that taking the lane would largely prevent these "left hooks".

kumate_champ07, if you haven't already, take a look at the book Cyclecraft by John Franklin. It sounds as left hooks are happening to you a lot; slightly altering the way you position yourself as you approach junctions might work wonders.

I have a scan of a leaflet by the Galway Cycling Campaign that is essentially a very condensed version of Cyclecraft. PM me if you want a copy.

Advertisement