Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing culture

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not only can a person potentially die, but the stabber will go to jail (hopefully)

Only if the knife were unlawfully used. Self defence is an authorised usage.

I always have a knife with me, although granted it's actually a Leatherman so is kindof like a more solid/practical Swiss Army knife. Scissors, blade, screwdriver... Never know when you might want the tool.
    I don't carry it for defence, but still, it will cause someone quite a bit of damage if you need it to.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

iv a leatherman as well but i dont carry it around with me, granted you probably need it in ur line of duty.
    I wouldnt class it as a weapon tho.

imo anyone who carrys a knife is a pussy. Not that im advocating violence but if you have a score to settle then do it the old fashioned way.
    boxers3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Only if the knife were unlawfully used. Self defence is an authorised usage.

I always have a knife with me, although granted it's actually a Leatherman so is kindof like a more solid/practical Swiss Army knife. Scissors, blade, screwdriver... Never know when you might want the tool.:confused:
    I don't carry it for defence, but still, it will cause someone quite a bit of damage if you need it to.

NTM

But I was clearly talking about someone attacking someone else with a knife with intention of wounding or killing them.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

sligopark wrote: »
    unless of course you had some fight training requisite for children today - kick boxing toward krav maga and the moral, discipline and consequence training lacking today in inner cities because most parents are enslaved thanks to thier government.

Why do parents continue to live in these areas unless required so by addiction?

fought a few people with knives and yes got cut more then a few times (was London years ago) but always made sure to break their arms as I did when glassed

not sure where the answer is right now but society can have little faith in an understrength and unfairly paid police force/ social workers to fight the problem

we need more law and more pride and discipline institutionised into our social fabric

Pardon the pun but you strike me of being the argo head type. Knife fights getting glassed breaking arms, a good night out for you ends in a fight. I hope someone takes your blade off ya and shoves it up your hole wanker .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I've never carried a knife and I've never really lived in a dodgy area. But to be honest I can't help but thinking that if I did live in a dodgy area I wouldn't want a knife anyway, the thing about most knacks is they only attack you when there's a few of them.
    If you pulled a knife I could see them grabbing it off you and perhaps using it. I've been in plenty of scrapes and fought a few of them that I shouldnt have bothered (and have a shítty crooked nose to prove it) but I still think I'd prefer a fat lip and a nose bleed than getting into a sciffle with a knife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Get rid of parole officers, make prisoners do hard labour and build more prisons with the money saved.

Why would that be, because punishment without rehab works really well? The prison service is in a **** state? Yes we do need more prisons spaces, but without any investment in the rehabilitation aspect of it, you’re just wasting money.

I don't think there is any data on it, but I would suspect that more stabbings occur inside our prisons rather than outside of it. Most assaults than occur within the prisons do not make the papers.

Our jails are in a **** state, you want them to be made harder, well a lot of my clients are often caught in the revolving door syndrome, they do their time or in some cases only a portion of it, they are released, commit more crime and they are back in etc.

Now this tells me something about our services when people who have spent a significant amount of their adult life locked up, are afraid of going back inside because of the risk to their own safety. It's easy to say just don't engage in criminality then, but often there are deep rooted issues than punishment in and of itself won't address. I'm not saying people should not be punished, if they break the law they should be. However, when the State locks a person up, they also have a responsibility for their care. A person was murdered whilst on 23hr lock up/protection a number of years ago.

However, we have a responsibility to rehabilitate as well, and apart form that if we want to reduce recidivism we need to address that too. It won't work for everyone, but it would reduce the crime rate to a certain degree; which most people want. Investing in quality rehab programmes the same for probation services on the outside would save money in the longer term if it reduces the overall crime rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 southeast camping

bt most of the carriers wouldnt just run up and stab u would they??? i mean wouldnt it b better just 2 hand over 20 quid to them instead of bringing ur own knife because that way some1's gettin stabbed n maybe killed. Bt i know that doesnt slove the problem really like cause then people r more inclined 2 rob people using knifes if they fear no retaliation :(

On topic, most of the time I carry a knife. There can be rational reasons to be in possession of one. I always have a leatherman on my person, it has got me out of trouble on my bike loads of times, a very useful tool that also has a knife on it. I'm trained as a knife defence instructor, I have an interest in self defence, and it's also handy in my job to know you have good defence tactics training.

I'm also a member of the civil defense, so in addition to a knife I would generally have a small torche and small para-cord on me, also useful if I have problem whilst travelling on one of my bikes. I just mentioning this to show there can be many reasons to carry a knife.

However, taking all of that into account including my interest in self-defence I would never consider any knife I carry as a weapon. TBH the small torche I carry is a much better self-defence tool, and I would generally have easier access to it if I needed it for such a reason. It's like when I'm carrying one of my guns when I'm on my way to one of my hunting grounds, I'm not carrying a weapon as I have no intent to use it on another human, I'm in possession of a sporting firearm, in the same way someone on the way to a hurling match is not in possession of a weapon.

Most stab victims are stabbed with thier own knives FACT

Out of interest do you can any evidence for that fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I used to carry a Swiss Army knife with me. One day I got into a fight & pulled it out, but instead of pulling out one of the knives, I pulled out the tweezers by mistake.

I didn't win the fight, but man, did I leave the other guys eyebrows in some state.

• Advertisement

I used to carry a Swiss Army knife with me. One day I got into a fight & pulled it out, but instead of pulling out one of the knives, I pulled out the tweezers by mistake.

I didn't win the fight, but man, did I leave the other guys eyebrows in some state.

I hope you left him looking like a bad transvestite;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Pardon the pun but you strike me of being the argo head type. Knife fights getting glassed breaking arms, a good night out for you ends in a fight. I hope someone takes your blade off ya and shoves it up your hole wanker .
    A fight breaks out a knife is pulled the knife is taken off him or her and stuck in thier face. your the fcuking dick if you cant see this.

minister poxbottle.

Take some time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I've never carried a knife and I've never really lived in a dodgy area.

Your user-name gives a different mental image. :p

These days it's better to learn to run than to learn to fight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

But I was clearly talking about someone attacking someone else with a knife with intention of wounding or killing them

With respect, there is nothing wrong with wounding or killing someone if it is appropriate to do so.

There are three obvious reasons to carry a knife around with you, maybe a few less obvious ones.

1) To cut things you discover during the day may need cutting. Paper, cord, plastic shrink-wrap, whatever.
    2) To defend yourself or others if attacked. Carrying a knife exclusively for that purpose is questionable under Irish law, and it helps to know how to actually use it for that purpose if you choose to do so.
    3) To attack others without legitimate cause.

Only one of those three purposes is immoral. Not everyone who goes back into the house because they forgot their knife is doing so for Option #3.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

minister poxbottle.

Take some time off.

Oh no, i love reading AH on Saturday and Sunday mornings for the drunken responses and he has some rippers, besides i half agree with his sentiments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    One tends to find that those who advocate national "service" are well above the age it would be likely to be applied to were it to be introduced

well that's because children don't generally participate in debates. the type of cnut that carries a knife should be whipped on the middle strip of o'connell st. see how fcuking hard he is in front of his mates then.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

genericguy wrote: »
    well that's because children don't generally participate in debates. the type of cnut that carries a knife should be whipped on the middle strip of o'connell st. see how fcuking hard he is in front of his mates then.

I thought you said stripped in the middle of o'connell st.
    I agree with both ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gkelly19

Not being funny but in some areas it's kill or be killed!!!!

If you don't carry a knife your at a distinct disadvantage if some scum targets you

Not saying it's right but I can understand why some lads/girls would carry
    to be quite honest if u think carrying a knife it the rway to go u need ur head checked wat if someone close to u was attacked by someone with a knife youd change ur mind big time, Anyone who carry's knife or anything like that are scum full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I've carried a hatchet when i was younger..the train station near where i lived was getting to be a no-go area with people getting mugged and beaten up on a daily basis,usually by gangs of scrotes who were making life hell for ordinary users of the station.

I needed to get my train from there and i'd been attacked by groups several times,a few people i knew had gotten bad beatings there.

A couple of times i pulled the hatchet out and once i chased a bloke with it after he tried to kick me in the head as i walked down the steps.

I disagree with carrying weapons but the fact is that sometimes without one you just dont have a prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Degsy wrote: »
    I've carried a hatchet when i was younger...

:eek:

How did you get onto the train with it?

• Advertisement

:eek:

How did you get onto the train with it?

Same way as i walked down the street,zipped up inside my jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I've contemplated carrying a knife but the nearest I have come to it is carrying a Leatherman. Even a Leatherman might not be a good idea as it could take up to 30 seconds to get the blade out and by that time it could be too late. A spray can of WD-40 would be a better option. No major harm would be done and it would leave you with sufficient time in which to escape. Better against multiple attackers as well. However, legally I think even this is still not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

If any scumbag attacked me with a knife I would sort him out..

If it went too court. I would put a nice suit on and just say I was defending myself.
    9/10 I would walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I've contemplated carrying a knife but the nearest I have come to it is carrying a Leatherman. Even a Leatherman might not be a good idea as it could take up to 30 seconds to get the blade out and by that time it could be too late. A spray can of WD-40 would be a better option. No major harm would be done and it would leave you with sufficient time in which to escape. Better against multiple attackers as well. However, legally I think even this is still not allowed.
    Work in a trade that uses a given tool and you have a carte blanche to be walking around with it, during the day at least.

Wanna carry a very dangerous weapon thats totally legal?

Try a leather belt..it works with a bit of practice and is also usefull against dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Wanna carry a very dangerous weapon thats totally legal?

Try a leather belt..it works with a bit of practice and is also usefull against dogs!

You'd be surprised how tough and effective a very tightly rolled magazine is...perhaps not against dogs though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

zuroph wrote: »
    Call a place Swords and what do you expect?
    Little scumbags running around with knives shouting "Sawwwwwwdsssss"?

Then falling on them and killing themselves. The balance is restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

For people who aren't going to cause trouble but bring a knife just in case I think should join a martial arts group. At least there they teach you how to disarm another person who is in possession of a weapon and to generally protect yourself if you are really worried about your safety.

Advertisement