Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing a heavy bag to a stud wall/ceiling

• 24-07-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm doing Muay Thai 3 months now and decided its time to invest in a bag. Problem is i live in a rented timber frame house. I'd like to mount the bag to the ceiling but I'm afraid of causing some structural damage. Most of the brackets i've seen online don't look to be suitable for a stud wall. The bag in question will be about 45-50kg (I hope) A free standing unit could be an option, although an expensive one. All in i'd like to keep it under the €150 mark if possible. But I'm open to suggestions.

Anybody had similar trouble/experiences? I don't mind making a few holes here and there, I'm a plasterer so patching up to get my deposit back from the landlord is no problem :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DamoUp

Not a great idea to go into the walls on a timber framed house. You would need to try to locate the vertical frame members and the spacing is unlikely to suit any wall bracket and stud fixings are not going to be heavy enough to support the bag.

A better idea would be to go into the ceiling. Although I wouldn't go straight in to one joist. I would spread the load over a number of floor joists. Get a steel box section and fix it into 3 or 4 joists and you'll have no problems. Floor joists are generally at 400mm centres so you would need a steel box section about 1 - 1.5m long.

Fix your bag hanger to the box section, hang the chains and get the bag up. Ready to go!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Go Rocky on it and hang it in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

Go Rocky on it and hang a frozen cow in the back garden.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Dioza wrote: »
    I'm doing Muay Thai 3 months now and decided its time to invest in a bag. Problem is i live in a rented timber frame house. I'd like to mount the bag to the ceiling but I'm afraid of causing some structural damage. Most of the brackets i've seen online don't look to be suitable for a stud wall. The bag in question will be about 45-50kg (I hope) A free standing unit could be an option, although an expensive one. All in i'd like to keep it under the €150 mark if possible. But I'm open to suggestions.

Anybody had similar trouble/experiences? I don't mind making a few holes here and there, I'm a plasterer so patching up to get my deposit back from the landlord is no problem :pac:

As you are renting, you can say goodbye to a portion of your deposit if you don't get the landlords approval before drilling into his walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

Thanks for the input guys. Think i'll go for the ceiling option. The back garden would be good only the dog would use it more than i would :rolleyes:

Any holes i make with screws etc i can always patch in. Providing the joists don't fall ontop of me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 DamoUp

As long as you spread the load over a few joists you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

Would a length of 2x4 do the job? I have a few 6 foot lengths out the back so would save me buying box section. Are you talking about the kind of stuff used to make gates?

Advertisement