Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gmail: Delete email addresses that appear in dropdown in to box when writing new mail

• 24-07-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi
    In Gmail when composing a new email and i start typing an address in the To field, i get a listing appearing with email aliases in it automatically

This list contains email alias for people who i dont have contact with anymore or are old email alias

How do i delete these old email alias and ones i dont use from the dropdown that appears in the To line automatically when i start typeing

THanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

when you email someone in gmail they are automatically added to your contacts list.

Click on the contacts option on the left and delete the person from there.
    they will then stop showing in the automatic dropdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Passport1

Thanks for the reply
    I am not sure if that will solve the issue
    You see for example i had a contact in my contacts list who changed their email address. I have updated their details in my contacts to edit their email address to list the new email address and have got rid of the old email address. Note: I have not created a new contact but editted the existing one so have just 1 address for the person

Now however when i go to compose a new email and go to the To section and start typing a email address the To dropdown is showing but it is showing the old address AND the new address for the person in question

How do i delete the old address from the To dropdown list so that only the new and relevant one is appearing

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Passport1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    I am not sure if that will solve the issue
    You see for example i had a contact in my contacts list who changed their email address. I have updated their details in my contacts to edit their email address to list the new email address and have got rid of the old email address. Note: I have not created a new contact but editted the existing one so have just 1 address for the person

Now however when i go to compose a new email and go to the To section and start typing a email address the To dropdown is showing but it is showing the old address AND the new address for the person in question

How do i delete the old address from the To dropdown list so that only the new and relevant one is appearing

Thanks

if you go into your contacts all you have to do is delete the relevant contact and they no longer show in your list or the auto complete list for email recipient.. you can then create new contact.. i just tried it there as a test and it works for me

Thanks for the reply

Is deleting the contact and re-creating it the only option
    Thats a bit of a pain

All that has changed for the contact is their email address - everything else is the same - their mobile, etc so having to delete the exisitng contact and re-create it just to change the email addess and get the old entry to appear from the autocomplete list is a big pain

Is there no way to just clear entres from the To autocomplete list withouth having to delete contacts and re-create

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Try another browser to rule out a contact issue.
    I'm guessing it's the autocomplete function of the browser that's storing the details of the older contact email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

it takes 30 seconds tops to delete and re create so I dont see the problem..

Thats true but surely there must be a way in Gmail to delete an old contact entry from the To autocomplete list without having to delete the contact and re-create

Like i said ive updated the original contact to just change their email address to the new email address - all other info in terms of mobile number etc stays the same so just want to get the old email address to stop appearing in the To... autocomplete list

Is there another way to do this without deleting the contact and re-creating

Thanks

I deleted the old contact from the contacts list and created the new one with the new email address but when composing and email now both the old and new addresses are appearing in the To autocomplete list with the old one appearing near the top of the list

So deleting the old account and creating new one doesnt seem to resolve issue of the old address appearing in the To... autocomplete list

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Check your browsers auto complete function isnt doing it

Advertisement