Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low budget machine build

Options
  • 24-07-2010 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to build a machine within reason for as little as possible, ideally not over €250 delivered. It will be used day to day for web browsing and office, no gaming at all. To keep costs low I intend to run Linux Mint on it.

I have attached a build from hardwareversand. I'd appreciate if someone could have a look at it and tell me how bad it is as I am not sure of the differences in CPUs! I already have an IDE DVD-rom, keyboard and mouse that I can reuse.

Are there any upgrades that I should make within the €50 I have left over. The motherboard must have a Parallel port in order to connect to a laser printer. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I love the irony that your chosen cackcase has cable routing and most Antec cases four times its price... don't :pac:

Nothing wrong with that build really, at least for an entry-level Linbox (and in that regard it beats the snot out of a nettop! :p). Surprised at the 2.5GHz speed of that Celeron C2D! :D Half the cache of an E5200 but otherwise the same for a good €15 less :)

No recommendations other than: you do know that your proposed system could run Win7 in a trice? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You could consider getting something second hand on adverts? I just sold a desktop on there (so i aint pimping this time!) for €150 which would be at least equivalent to what you put up, plus it had vista ultimate on it.

Just throwing it up as another option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You could consider getting something second hand on adverts? I just sold a desktop on there (so i aint pimping this time!) for €150 which would be at least equivalent to what you put up, plus it had vista ultimate on it.

Just throwing it up as another option

Thanks for the idea but it will be my first time building a PC and that's part of the reason why I want to do it this way.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    I love the irony that your chosen cackcase has cable routing and most Antec cases four times its price... don't :pac:

Nothing wrong with that build really, at least for an entry-level Linbox (and in that regard it beats the snot out of a nettop! :p). Surprised at the 2.5GHz speed of that Celeron C2D! :D Half the cache of an E5200 but otherwise the same for a good €15 less :)

No recommendations other than: you do know that your proposed system could run Win7 in a trice? ;)

The only problem is that Win7 blows the budget out of the water! I've actually found Ebuyer to be cheaper for the same parts. I have one more question about cases. On Ebuyer some cases come with 80mm fans and some don't. Is it worth getting a case with a fan as they are roughly the same price as those that have none?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are you taking currency conversion into account on eBuyer?

And the case on HWVS is probably a smidgen better than the sub-€30 (<£25) models on eBuyer. It can take a 120mm front fan for starters, something that can cost as little as €2 on HWVS....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Solitaire wrote: »
    Are you taking currency conversion into account on eBuyer?

And the case on HWVS is probably a smidgen better than the sub-€30 (<£25) models on eBuyer. It can take a 120mm front fan for starters, something that can cost as little as €2 on HWVS....

Yeah I'm taking it into consideration. The Ebuyer build works out at £169.28 (~ €204) delivered while the HWVS is €224.50 delivered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement