Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac addresses?

• 24-07-2010 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Just on a website going loads of people exchanging their Mac's. What exactly does that do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

A Mac address is the address (I.D) of your NIC, example 00:0C:1F:54:88:76, it can be used to identify/communicate with other computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

I don't get it.

So if I swap a MAC address for another whats the benifit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I don't get it.

So if I swap a MAC address for another whats the benifit?
    you get their traffic

r they on a lan? your question is a bit vague tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A MAC address is just the hardware address used for systems to communicate with each other in a local network. Giving anyone outside of your private network your MAC address is of no use to them whatsoever. The only way it could ever possibly be used, is if someone wished to spoof your MAC address to bypass hardware address filtering, like on wireless routers.

In summary - it's of no use to them.

Just on a website going loads of people exchanging their Mac's. What exactly does that do?

Link please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

depending on your local area network setup if you know someones mac address you can snoop their network traffic.

Its very easy to do which is always a worry.

i dont see why people would be exchanging their mac addresses on a website.

depending on your local area network setup if you know someones mac address you can snoop their network traffic.

Its very easy to do which is always a worry.

i dont see why people would be exchanging their mac addresses on a website.

No, you cannot. You need to be connected directly to the LAN, or through a tunnel to the LAN. In which case, a simple ARP request would reveal the hardware address of every system on the LAN.

There is very little danger for someone to put their MAC address on a website. It has no significance outside the scope of a local area network, and inside the scope of that network - anyone can view the MAC address of any machine anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Link please.

+1 I dont get it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Well from my knowledge, this would be only important at a LAN level, so you would not be able to snoop somebody else's Internet traffic... All the routing of packets outside of your own LAN is done on the IP level, and has nothing to do with MAC addresses..

Once IP has finished routing and the packet has found it's way to the right IP network, the local server/router then carries out an ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) request to resolve the IP to MAC address..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, you cannot. You need to be connected directly to the LAN, or through a tunnel to the LAN. In which case, a simple ARP request would reveal the hardware address of every system on the LAN.

There is very little danger for someone to put their MAC address on a website. It has no significance outside the scope of a local area network, and inside the scope of that network - anyone can view the MAC address of any machine anyway.

read my post again. i said on the local area network.

• Advertisement

read my post again. i said on the local area network.

Of which a random poster on a website would not be apart of.

Advertisement