Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and fastest broadband?

• 24-07-2010 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Is UPC the fastest broadband? Will faster ones be coming out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no, but often the fastest you can get.

Above 6Mbps, the Cap may be more important.

Not likely. Up to 100Mbps or even 120Mbps is possible in some locations.

Main things needed are:
    1) Getting people with no Broadband a Broadband option (Imagine Wimax, Clearwire, NBS, Mobile are not proper Broadband. Satellite is in a special category, because although it can be always on and be fast enough if you pay enough, the latency is minimum 790ms)

2) Original ADSL (many eircom exchanges) is now essentially obsolete as Average speed is 3Mbps, i.e. many people the line is too long or two poor to have more than 1Mbps. ADSL2+ can be 6Mbps to 8MBps average. At extreme of line length the speed is only 1Mbps.

3) Eircom and some others need substantial more backhaul/Backbone to support even the users and speed they have.

4) Any new Broadband rollout should be aiming at approx
    8Mbps to 10Mbps Minimum Rural
    10Mbps to 20Mbps Minimum Suburban
    20Mbps to 100MBps Urban.

Currently about 10% to 20% can't get "proper broadband".
    Currently about 20% of xDSL (phone line) Broadband might be limited to 1Mbps to 2Mbps

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58604214&postcount=1
    also http://irelandoffline.org/

Advertising of unlimited (unless it really is) or Up to speeds should be illegal and this enforced.
    Adverts & T&C should not refer to a FUP (Fair Use Policy). Such documents should not exist. Instead a clear minimum peak time speed, average off peak speed, max latency & jitter and clear limits of traffic and other limitations.
    There should be severe financial penalties for breach of limits and lack of service. These should be shared 30% to injured party and 70% to Regulator.

All providers should be licensed and lose licence for repeated breaches or if they lose more than 3 cases they bring against Regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

So what should I get? Im in Galway. UPC 30MB seems good? I want it for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i have upcs 15mb and play live fine.

online gaming isnt really about the speed its about the ping the lower your ping the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC usually is OK for gaming (latency) unless you are in an area that had Chorus or NTL early on and hasn't been upgraded by UPC yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

So can anyone recommend the best for gaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I play online regularly and have UPC.
    Never had a problem.
    As said earlier the speed isn't important, you can play online fine on a 3-5MB connection, it's the ping that matters.

My UPC ping is about 12-20 MS which is perfect.

As for future speeds, UPc currently has the monopoly on that, with 100MB speeds announced, and 120MB speeds currently in operation across Europe.

But who knows what the future holds.

Advertisement