Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Rural Ireland

• 24-07-2010 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wonder does anyone know of an ISP in rural places that isn't limited

I currently have 3g 15GB limit and it just isn't working. I'm half way through my 30 days and only have 5GB's left and this has been the trend since i got it.

Is there any better ISP in rural Leitrim to be specific that has a better limit or even and unlimited service???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just wonder does anyone know of an ISP in rural places that isn't limited

I currently have 3g 15GB limit and it just isn't working. I'm half way through my 30 days and only have 5GB's left and this has been the trend since i got it.

Is there any better ISP in rural Leitrim to be specific that has a better limit or even and unlimited service???

go to the comreg website and find your location on the map and it should give you a list of possible providers.. it sounds like you are unable to get DSL due to location so you need to look at FWA (fixed wireless access) broadband.. satellite is just too expensive and unreliable (latency) imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your in a National Broadband Area your allowance in now 25GB, if your not in an NBS area you can upgrade to the 30GB plan for 26 euro per month.
    Go into your local store and ask them to sort it out for your, you may be due an upgrade and can do it at the same time the new b260a router is pretty quick if your sticking with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However that will increase contention and thus decrease speed and incidence of not connecting.

If you have NBS you are legally untitled to

Minimum 1.2Mbps (not Up To 7.2Mbps) downlink speed
    120ms Max latency
    Always On. (not dropping connections or refusing to connect).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Try www.getbroadband.ie

Tells you whats available in your area plus what is the best deal.

not very accurately though.

Almost any fixed Wireless Broadband will be better than NBS or "Mobile"/3G dongle.

Are you sure you can't get DSL by phone line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

I am in a NBS area...So i should be updated to 25GB???and i think we are too far from a transformer or something for DSL..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rural citizen

Hi
    I live in a rural area and cannot access satelite broadband or wireless broadband, as my house is surrounded by huge trees. However, I do live close to a DSL enabled telephone exchange and having talked to my neighbours on both sides of my house, I found that they are all able to access eircom broadband through their telephone lines, and are happy with the speeds and service.

I have contacted eircom four times in the last five years and each time they have told me that my line has not been updated and that I can't receive broadband. I have been doing some research and think that I may be on a "carrier line" but am not sure if I can get off this. It seems really strange to me that most of my close neighbours are able to access broadband but I can't. If anyone has any advice on this, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you

Contact Comreg, Eircom your TD. eircom should take the carrier (pair gain) off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rural citizen

watty wrote: »
    watty wrote: »

I contacted ComReg and all my TDs already and have been doing so for the last year. Here is ComReg's response regarding carrier lines.

"The document you refer to below is about Local Loop Unbundling, and is only relevant to the use of the Eircom network to facilitate the provision of broadband by other service providers in the market. It’s an industry document.
    It does not refer to or apply to Eircom’s obligations to customers.
    No service provider is obliged to provide broadband on the retail level.
    The designated Universal Service Provider – currently Eircom – has an obligation to ‘fulfil every reasonable request for a telephone service’ up to a cost of €7,000.
    This obligation does not extend to broadband.

Eircom’s Universal Service Obligation allows Eircom to provide a telephone service via a carrier line.

From time to time people on carrier lines can be taken off them, if there is spare capacity at the exchange, due to customers discontinuing landline service.
    If a line tests ‘red’ for broadband, that means that nothing can be done at that time.
    If there’s a possibility of taking a particular number off a carrier line, if there may be a spare cable at the exchange, the line will test ‘amber.’

The line tests are updated every 6-8 weeks so it might be worthwhile to contact Eircom at intervals to see if you can be taken off the carrier line.

Otherwise you might like to check out the ComReg price comparison website www.callcosts.ie , which shows details of broadband services which do not require a landline, such as cable satellite etc."

I contacted the very helpful and prompt Ireland Offline website and they advised me to order a completely new line from Eircom with the understanding that the order would be cancelled if it was found that broadband could not be carried on that line. The technician came out and the line set up and when I called eircom to order the broadband, the line was found to be suitable, which was of course, a huge relief and i am delighted.

I just want to put on the record though, that from start to finish I have found Eircom a thoroughly inefficient and horrible company to deal with. Every time I called to inquire if I could get broadband, they told me "no" and did not once mention that I should try ordering a completely new line. The technician did not turn up on the day he was supposed to. When I called Eircom in the afternoon, I was told he would definitely be there at the end of the day, but when I phoned again at half four, I was told the technician had called in sick and wouldn't be coming at all.

I made a complaint to customer complaints, but when I called again, there was no record of this complaint having been lodged. A manager said she would call me back within the hour, no call was made.

I had the line and contract in my name for the purposes of getting broadband for tenants, and when I called this morning, i was told that I could transfer the line into my tenants name, but he would have to begin a new contract, and I would be considered to be breaking my contract and have to pay £18 euro per month left on the contract (six months).

I feel like Eircom have turned what should have been a very simple procedure into a complete nightmare. Their service lacks any kind of coherence or transparency. Why should it be such a lottery to get broadband? ComReg have been fine in returning emails with information, but unfortunately, all their information basically says the same thing - "sorry - we have no muscle to deal with this company".

The whole experience has been exhausting, confusing and has made me SO angry. Good luck to anyone who has to deal with Eircom. Horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Hi
    I live in a rural area and cannot access satelite broadband or wireless broadband, as my house is surrounded by huge trees. However, I do live close to a DSL enabled telephone exchange and having talked to my neighbours on both sides of my house, I found that they are all able to access eircom broadband through their telephone lines, and are happy with the speeds and service.

Thank you
    My parents were getting this from eircom as well, houses on either side had dsl.
    they wrote to the head of eircom, (Rex Comb , couple of years ago now) , 2 weeks later they had broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Hi

I have contacted eircom four times in the last five years and each time they have told me that my line has not been updated and that I can't receive broadband. I have been doing some research and think that I may be on a "carrier line" but am not sure if I can get off this. It seems really strange to me that most of my close neighbours are able to access broadband but I can't. If anyone has any advice on this, I would really appreciate hearing from you.
    Thank you

Im in the same situation as well. I got a phone line installed with Eircom last year on the understanding that I would get broadband. I wasnt there when the line was installed and then found out that I want getting broadband as I on a carrier line. Been onto tons of different people in Eircom and Comreg but they keep telling me the same thing. "Eircom are only obliged to give you a phone line, they are not obliged to give you broadband".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've had the same experience with no success - yet. I was also advised to order a new line from Eircom, which I did. The technician came out and he started asking why I wanted a new line when I already have a line. So, I told him why I had ordered the new line (broadband) and he got kind of annoyed at me and said that I should have ordered unbundling of my existing line. So, I told him to go ahead with the unbundling of my existing line and he told me that there are two poles on my road which are scheduled to be moved first, and they need to get planning permission first and why knows how long that'll take. So, I'm still exactly where I was before I started, with no idea how long it'll be before my line is worked on. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I went online to Eircoms site yesterday and booked a broadband package. I did it in my partners name and mentioned nothing about the existing line. If the technician says anything we are going to say that we are looking for broabband as we are going to be e-working and wanted a seperate line for it. If they cant provide it I will tell them not to bother installing a new line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't let the tech inside the house if the new line is split/pairgained/carrier , then he can't install the socket and therefore you cannot be charged for a substandard bodge job because a properly installe dline must have a socket.

In fairness most techs will not mess you around with a split line when they know you want it for broadband ...but it is very important to talk to the tech as soon as you get the chance.

Advertisement