Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit limit increase

Options
  • 24-07-2010 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

My credit card has a credit limit of €800 and that's *after* I've gotten an increase a few months ago. I have over €15,000 in deposits and no debt (I've always saved up instead of taking out a loan/debt of any kind, which ironically is probably the reason for my low credit limit). I can't request a credit limit increase online because I've done so within the last 6 months.

Is it worth ringing up AIB or will it simply be a case of 'computer says no'! I want to order a laptop online and I will have to ask the parents to borrow their credit card and pay them back, which is a bit embarrassing at 24 years of age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DEposit money on the card, but lap top. Its a credit limit, not a transaction limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Victor wrote: »
    DEposit money on the card, but lap top. Its a credit limit, not a transaction limit.
    A friend told me to never put a credit card in credit because then your purchases wont be protected like they normally are with a credit card. Can I assume that he is talking out of his hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The cash deposited isn't protected in the same way, but I don't see why the product isn't.

Now if you had €500 on depoit on the CC and bought something for €300, sure the CC company are less pushed about getting the money back, but if you've added €500 and buy something for €1,300, the CC company sees that €800 as their and if the product isn't delived, the computer supplier isn't getting paid.

Product protection may also be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A friend told me to never put a credit card in credit because then your purchases wont be protected like they normally are with a credit card. Can I assume that he is talking out of his hat?

Your purchases would be covered as normal. It sound's like he's mixing up the scenario with when you top up your card like so and it's stolen. Then the extra cash isn't covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I tried to get a limit increase myself from boi, but I had one within the last 6 months. They would not budge even though I keep my account in good order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement