Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chainset maintenance

• 24-07-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

hi, does anyone have any advice on cleaning a chainset? i have a creaking sound every time i rotate the chainset. creaks where the crank arm joins the bottom bracket which is really annoying.

can i use a chain degreaser here and chain lube ? or should i use a different type of product? any help much appreciate, all i can seem to find is how to clean a chain but nothing on this.

cheers......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

First thing to do is to put a little grease on your QR Skewers, remove your pedals and grease the threads, then see if the creak is still there, and also check your headset and lube if necessary. There is a 70% chance your 'creaking BB' is actually coming from one of those.

If the creak is still there, chances are its from the non DS crank where it joins the axle or from the cups. If its a Campag chainset, it more than likely will be the wavy washer that just needs some greasing. You shouldn't need degreaser to clean it up, a rag should do fine. Take the non DS arm off first and give it a good wipe until clean and clean the bearing cups, check that the cups are not loose also check the bearings to make sure they dont need replacing, then put on some grease ( lithium or suchlike ) and re-assemble.

I usually just do this much first as its always done the trick, I've never had the DS make a creak ( Yet ! ), however if you powerwash the bike, it has high mileage or seen a lot of wet winters it makes sense to remove the DS side as well.

There are tons of various bicycle greases out there but I just use a ' High Performance Bearing Grease ' by Comma which you can get in Halfords auto section for € 7.

Advertisement