Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attack in Corbally

• 24-07-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Heard on the radio that the kid attacked by the Applegreen Service Station yesterday is still in a very bad way and is in a critical condition with serious head injuries.

Hopefully there will be an improvement in the kid's condition soon, and the scumbag who did it gets convicted and put away for it, as I would imagine that there should be plenty of faces on the camera footage from the forecourt as to who was there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What happened?
    Someone told me last night that the ERU were called out to Corbally but i didnt know what had happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Some kid had seven bells knocked out of him and suffered some serious head injuries. Was taken to the hospital in a very bad way, and the radio reports today are not good so far, all saying he is in a critical condition. Think the kid is only 15 or 16 years of age.

Just realised I put no link up to keep the mods happy.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/18270486/

A teenager is in a critical condition after a serious assault in Limerick last night.

Another teenager has been arrested in connection with the incident.

The assault happened just before 10pm last night in Corbally on the Limerick/Clare border.

The 16-year-old male sustained head injuries during a row at The Apple Green petrol station.

He was rushed to Limerick Regional Hospital where he is currently being treated. His condition is being described as serious.

Gardaí arrested a 17-year-old male shortly after the incident.

He is currently being questioned in connection with the assault.

A technical examination has been carried out at the scene and gardaí are appealing for witnesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

check www.limerickleader.ie

dirty little scumbags, it always raises the question if you were driving past what would you do?

Yeah cowardly scum attacking in numbers. It is being reported as an unprovoked attack so that just shows up the animals that did it even further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Had posted this last night - and it was moved to the Clare forum?! While technically Clare (by a few metres) - we all know this is a Limerick incident and probably a Limerick knacker who did this.
    I am sick of the thick ignorant cap wearing halfway up their head, tracksuit tucked into white sock little fcukheads wrecking this city of ours!! They honestly think they are in an episode of the Wire

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Absolute Scum is all these people are,lost a friend/team mate of mine 2 years to a fairly similar incident.thankfully justice was done last week when his killers where put behind bars.I know this lad to see and he is harmless,the scum in this city is getting out of control,and the victims are becoming younger and younger.

is it time for us all to dress as batman and reclaim the city ?

seriously though i hope the little scumbags that did get a few slaps off the guards or send them to st pats where they will get a few slaps.

When will people get it, you dont kick people in the head. Scumbags !

kilburn wrote: »
    is it time for us all to dress as batman and reclaim the city ?

seriously though i hope the little scumbags that did get a few slaps off the guards or send them to st pats where they will get a few slaps.

When will people get it, you dont kick people in the head. Scumbags !

I would be expecting the usual pattern of people being arrested and questioned, then released. Followed by the "cannot be named for legal reasons" due to their age.

If the scum are old enough to commit adult crimes then they should get an adult punishment, otherwise we just get the next generation of the type of waster who was before the courts during the week.

He was in court on three seperate charges, he got three sentences that were allowed to run concurrently, so he only serves one, and he has 161 previous convictions. 161!!!

Just mindboggling that a criminal can be convicted 161 times and somehow be out on the streets with regular people. So in a few months at max, he will be released and will now have 164 convictions to his name.

I totally agree with you if you have 161 convictions you should be locked up for a long time.
    Dont they have a 3 strike rule in the states?
    Need more community service and a proper fine system to be set up for just a start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Im a big fan of the 3 strikes your out approach.
    3 crimes and your not entitled to social welfare. You can earn your entillements back by working for 3 consecutive years and paying tax without commiting any crimes.
    If you keep fcking up and commiting crimes then we just call it a day with you and put u down like a sick dog.
    Who could be the person capable of putting these halfwits down? .... meeeee:D
    Drove up hyde rd lasy night. The kids had built a lovely fire in the street out of there own rubbish. They had a nice seat that they built out of a stolen shopping trolley. As i drove past 1 of the little b*stards launched a rock at me, just missed the car.
    If i could get away with it, i wouldve exterminated the lot them. A flamethrower is what those little b*stards deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I hate the way they have to bring Limerick into this even though the attack happened in Clare!

Berty wrote: »
    My RTE App on the iPhone says

Why mention Limerick at all?

Well the attacker is thought to be from Limerick, so there is one reason straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

One post removed for charter violation, and a number of others removed for quoting the offending post.

please do not post details that will be likely to identify individuals. As the person arrested is 17 it is pretty much a certainty that his identity will be concealed by the courts.

also the injured party is entitled to his privacy.

Lads lets stop nit-picking. This was an attack on a Limerick youth, by a Limerick scumbag in a Limerick petrol station. I live in Westbury and dont class myself as living in Clare. My post gets delivered to Corbally, Limerick.

Yet Melion you live in Knockballynameath, Parteen, Co Clare.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

Well people can nit pick over whether Limerick should or should not be in the title. The only real issue is that a piece of scum and his fellow scumbags have put a young kid in hospital, and in a position where his life is at risk.

My previous post may have been deleted because it quoted another guy's post, but I still stand by my comment that there is no valid excuse for people who do things like the assault last night. They are totally to blame for their actions and if they want to commit adult crimes, they should be tried as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

My RTE App on the iPhone says

Why mention Limerick at all?

Seriously? If it was a positive news story you'd probably be complaining if Limerick wasn't mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Following a very abusive PM I received(about this thread) I have decided not to participate in this thread anymore and have deleted all my posts although quotations of my posts will still exist.

Said PM has been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Following a very abusive PM I received(about this thread) I have decided not to participate in this thread anymore although quotations of my post will still exist.

You weren't contributing to the thread anyway.
    Good riddance.

• Advertisement

Following a very abusive PM I received(about this thread) I have decided not to participate in this thread anymore and have deleted all my posts although quotations of my posts will still exist.

Bang out of order if you received abuse over this thread. I mean there are a few differences in opinion over location and the like, but if you got nasty stick over that then I hope it gets jumped on by a mod.

gihj wrote: »
    Good riddance.

No need for that mate. He was not being offensive to anyone.

Kess73 wrote: »
    No need for that mate. He was not being offensive to anyone.

I agree yes but he could be a little more sensitive considering a young lad is fighting for his life in hospital.
    This dude is only interested in a silly debate regarding the location of the incident.
    Heard the same argument time and again so why bother with it again now.
    Very immature behaviour if you ask me.

I agree yes but he could be a little more sensitive considering a young lad is fighting for his life in hospital.
    This dude is only interested in a silly debate regarding the location of the incident.
    Heard the same argument time and again so why bother with it again now.
    Very immature behaviour if you ask me.

I disagree with the whole nit picking over location that went on in the thread, but at the same time Berty did not deserve to get abuse PM'd to him by whoever took it upon themselves to do so.

If a person disagreed with him they should either say why in public or just ignore his comments, sending an abusive PM is not the next step.

Personally I think the mods should just delete every post in this thread back as far as post 12, and leave the thread on topic, and then I would love for the mods to root out the coward sending abuse by PM.

I disagree with the whole nit picking over location that went on in the thread, but at the same time Berty did not deserve to get abuse PM'd to him by whoever took it upon themselves to do so.

If a person disagreed with him they should either say why in public or just ignore his comments, sending an abusive PM is not the next step.

Personally I think the mods should just delete every post in this thread back as far as post 12, and leave the thread on topic, and then I would love for the mods to root out the coward sending abuse by PM.

Oh yes you're right.
    At the same time his posts contributed nothing to the thread.
    He didn't even state what his problem was with the reporting of the location.
    Came across as very smug in his last post i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Good riddance.

Banned - One month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Girlfriends father was walking his dog when a lad ran up to him and told him what was happening , he was 2 mins away, when he got there the attacker was handcuffed in the back of a guards car being led away smiling!!

At least they caught him.

I know the motive but won`t put it online --- young lads are out of control and their parents need to give them a good F**king hiding!!

They were jumping on the poor lads head, animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Crime has long been out of control in this city. Incidents like this go unreported week in week out. Only the ones where serious injuries occur, such as this incident, come to our attention.

While yesterdays incident technically happened in Clare, lets not kid ourselves. There are many areas in Clare that are effectively suburbs of the city, with many Limerick people living in them.

The reality is that this is a violent city to live in, with massive social problems that are increasingly widespread, no longer confined to "problem" areas. The ONLY solution to this is a three strikes rule brought in by the courts.

There should be mandatory hefty prison sentences for violent crime.

If somebody commits a third offence they should lose all entitlements such as social welfare, housing, rent allowance etc until they have proven that they have reformed. Entitlements could be restored after working a set number of weeks - say 52.

Loitering should also be considered an offence, especially in the vicinity of business premises.

Unless something such as the above is implemented, then we can forget about this city or our country changing anytime soon. It will only get worse.

Of course no politician has the balls to propose the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Poor lad, hope he pulls through. I can only imagine what his family are going though right now.

On the location thing......... If someone wins the lotto it's "westbury, co. clare", if someone is mugged "wesbury, near limerick", if it's about extending the limerick boundery it's " wesbury Co CLare"....... can't have it everyway lads!!!! BUt thats probably for another thread........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭phog

baza1976 wrote: »
    Poor lad, hope he pulls through. I can only imagine what his family are going though right now.

On the location thing......... If someone wins the lotto it's "westbury, co. clare", if someone is mugged "wesbury, near limerick", if it's about extending the limerick boundery it's " wesbury Co CLare"....... can't have it everyway lads!!!! BUt thats probably for another thread........

On the location thing, RTE did state county Clare, near Limerick city, which is factual.

BTW ....do posters realise that we're discussing this incident on a "Limerick City Forum" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Some people just get hung up about an imaginary line that they think makes a difference about where they live. Crime has no regard for boundaries and whether it is Clare or Limerick it affects both communities regardless of petty arguments about what side of the sod you live on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mods close this thread as I think its incentive by Clare people (sad I know) to further drag Limericks name into the gutter.

The fact remains, regardless of where the people involved are from, it happened in County Clare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Mods close this thread as I think its incentive by Clare people (sad I know) to further drag Limericks name into the gutter.

The fact remains, regardless of where the people involved are from, it happened in County Clare!

Yes, but it also happened in Limerick city or more precisely the Limerick urban area. A sizeable portion of the University of Limerick is also in County Clare, is everything occurring there separate to UL or Limerick city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Mc Love wrote: »

Pedantic pat, this is indeed a Limerick crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 WoodView

country is in a desperate state

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jesus Christ people, there's been a serious crime just out the road. A young person is in a critical condition. I will delete posts if you don't grow up, stop being so petty and start discussing this like the adults you are. Put things into perspective and stop using this incident as an excuse for childish council-bashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Todays irish times website.

16 year old is still in critical condition in regional hospital. Gardai are appealing for witnesses.

Hope he gets better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I passed the section they had taped off on Friday night. They should have this all on Apple greens camera's.

The arrested scumbag is in court this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Hope he pulls through and this scumbag gets a serious amount of time in prison.Unlikely though he will talk about family issues etc...the usually crap to get off a long sentence.Also hearing that there is a vid on phones of this assault and it is brutal to say the least.The lad just gets out of a car/van and busts the innocent young fella with a kick to the head.Disgusting that people can be like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The arrested scumbag is in court this evening.

The irish legal system works on sundays?:eek:

wonders never cease..

krudler wrote: »

wonders never cease..

Not an uncommon thing at the Limerick court house to have a special sitting on a Sunday.

hope he pulls through thats all that counts here !

hope justice runs its course !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

wonders never cease..

You obviously don't watch the news regularly. There's not a weekend that goes by that the court doesn't sit somewhere in the country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

If this guy really has 161 previous convictions, Then this guy is a good customer of the judiciary. He is the type of repeat customer that keeps the revolving door revolving and the solicitors/barristers till ching chinging.

They will look after a good customer like him.

If you commit a one off crime due to stupidity you are likely to be punished severly as you are unlikely to be a repeat customer.

Sad but true.

If judges/solicitors/barristers locked tugs/animals like this up for life then they would be out of business within a year.
    Crime pays

niallers1 wrote: »
    If this guy really has 161 previous convictions, Then this guy is a good customer of the judiciary. He is the type of repeat customer that keeps the revolving door revolving and the solicitors/barristers till ching chinging.

They will look after a good customer like him.

If you commit a one off crime due to stupidity you are likely to be punished severly as you are unlikely to be a repeat customer.

Sad but true.

If judges/solicitors/barristers locked tugs/animals like this up for life then they would be out of business within a year.
    Crime pays

The 17 year in court now is not the one with the 161 convictions (actually now it is 164 after last week's court date), I was using the guy with the huge amount of convictions as an example of what the young guys are turning into.

I think the guy with 164 convictions to his name is 30 now.

Seems the kid in hospital is still listed as critical, but at least now he is said to be stable. It is still hit and miss as to whether he survives and does not have serious brain damage, but it would seem there is a glimmer of hope for him.

Am hoping this kid can beat the odds and make a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

445279.ie wrote: »
    You obviously don't watch the news regularly. There's not a weekend that goes by that the court doesn't sit somewhere in the country :rolleyes:

Nope, no tv stations. I has internet, gets all news from that.

It was a joke btw, relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

It was a joke btw, relax.

My bad :P thought you were serious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

These people never have less that 10 previous convictions. Let's face it, the guards love em. Think back to when you wre in secondary school. Whose names did your teacher remember? Chances are it was the only names they hd to keep shouting, the messers. While the rest of the class would be getting put to the side while this messer was 'dealt' with, you can definitely see the similarity in society today.

150+ convictions should send the ****ing alarm bells off the walls screaming "I think it is obvious that what we are doing is not stopping what they are doing at all!".

• Advertisement
Advertisement