Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band Vs Band thread

Options
  • 24-07-2010 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Rules of said thread are as follows…..

Name two bands/artists, one of which you must like.

Post a you tube video/song of each band, briefly describing why you like/dislike the songs. The two songs should be close to each other in terms of when they were released, keep it to within two years of each other ie 2010 - 2012. You must name the albums that the songs are from and the year released.

Compare the two songs/albums and bands and briefly describe the sound and why you prefer one over the other.

The layout of your posts should be similar to mine below...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

an obvious but controversial one :)

Slayer Vs Metallica

Slayer – South of Heaven (1988)

Song - Behind the Crooked Cross

This song in terms of lyrics is classic Slayer, more atheist and agnostic than anti-christian with the questioning of why powerful influences force people into fighting wars. Araya’s vocals, unlike death metal, are comprehensible and deliver the message! The bass/guitar solos and rifts are most definitely thrash metal backed up with the best drumming techniques ever produced.

Song Rating 9/10.

Metallica – And Justice for All…

Song – Eye of the Beholder (1988)

Lyrically this song and the album in question as a whole have never been surpassed. The questioning of the individuals role in society and how we are coerced by external forces. Ulrich’s drums here are simply outstanding, combined with distinct vocals and backed up with incredible guitar solos, the sound produced is simply described in one word….Metal!

Song Rating 8/10.

Song V Song
    For me Slayer are the superior band to Metallica, mainly because they never drifted from their style of music. And Justice for All I would say is the better album to South of Heaven, however the songs are to long and lose their way in parts. I prefer the Slayer song above as its sound is very catchy and keeps you listening to the end, whereas I lose interest in Metallicas song half way through.

So to summarise……….****ing Slayer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

:rolleyes:

This is just a small bit pointless and is probably not gonna end well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Song V Song
    For me Slayer are the superior band to Metallica, mainly because they never drifted from their style of music. And Justice for All I would say is the better album to South of Heaven, however the songs are to long and lose their way in parts. I prefer the Slayer song above as its sound is very catchy and keeps you listening to the end, whereas I lose interest in Metallicas song half way through.

So to summarise……….****ing Slayer!!!

You say its a song vs song comparison yet to open your deciding paragraph by saying you prefer Slayer because Metallica drifted way from Thrash Metal after this song was released, and then you also compare the albums as well; and presumably use both of them as reasons for favouring the Slayer song (otherwise why would you mention), And if you lose interest in that song halfway through, then why didn't you choose a Metallica song you prefer. For all we know you could have chosen your favourite Slayer song and your least favourite Metallica song (from the album) which makes the thread even more pointless.

Lets just say I was expecting a more in-depth analysis of the songs themselves, which would also be silly but maybe make you look a little more like you know what you are talking about. :P

You say its a song vs song comparison yet to open your deciding paragraph by saying you prefer Slayer because Metallica drifted way from Thrash Metal after this song was released, and then you also compare the albums as well; and presumably use both of them as reasons for favouring the Slayer song (otherwise why would you mention), And if you lose interest in that song halfway through, then why didn't you choose a Metallica song you prefer. For all we know you could have chosen your favourite Slayer song and your least favourite Metallica song (from the album) which makes the thread even more pointless.

Lets just say I was expecting a more in-depth analysis of the songs themselves, which would also be silly but maybe make you look a little more like you know what you are talking about. :P

The point of the thread was comparing to bands with two pieces of music they created! I deleberately chose two underated songs from both bands. If your just going to make trollish posts then thats even more pointless than my crap thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Its obviously not underrated if you lose interest halfway through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My head hurts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

My head hurts...
    I dont get it either :confused:

Perhaps if we had it so the OP posts two songs, and the next poster picks their favourite and says why - then takes the song they have chosen and puts in another song and the next poster picks their fav and so on....

..... that sounds confusing too though :p

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I dont get it either :confused:

Perhaps if we had it so the OP posts two songs, and the next poster picks their favourite and says why - then takes the song they have chosen and puts in another song and the next poster picks their fav and so on....

..... that sounds confusing too though :p

Like winner stays on?! Cool! Rock & Metal forums quest to find The Ultimate Song!

Or put up an original & a cover version and the next poster has to pick their fave & say why and then put up their original & cover of choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Like winner stays on?! Cool! Rock & Metal forums quest to find The Ultimate Song!

Or put up an original & a cover version and the next poster has to pick their fave & say why and then put up their original & cover of choice.

If we do this, I call dibs on using Children of Bodom's cover of "Oops I did it again"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Metallica own Slayer because they were more musically adventurous, say what you will about load and reload but they weren't boxed by the expectations of fans about being tr00 metal or whatever you want to call it, they didn't bargain with their music, they just released it, that to me isn't selling out, selling out involves writing music you don't want to produce just to keep everyone happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Metallica own Slayer because they were more musically adventurous, say what you will about load and reload but they weren't boxed by the expectations of fans about being tr00 metal or whatever you want to call it, they didn't bargain with their music, they just released it, that to me isn't selling out, selling out involves writing music you don't want to produce just to keep everyone happy.

Great point. They may have had misfires, but they tried to diversify, and didn't stagnate.

Slayer's misfires maybe came later, but they did come, and it was cause they didn't change.

im a big Metallica fan they are great live but really what album apart from Death Magnetic have they made in the last 20 years that’s actually heavy/thrash metal? Great band, Slayer are better though for the METAL!

seeing as nobody has bothered trying to grasp the thread ill make it easier, post a you tube video of a band you like, the next poster responding posts another video from a similar band! Others can debate which is better if you like!

Sooooo, you post one video, the next poster responding posts a similar video, done, …easy yeah??

Cannibal Corpse sux dogs balls xxx Deicide the true Death Metal Gods!! Best opening to a metal song ever :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I liked how, for me anyway, the Google ad on the bottom of the Slayer clip was for bible cds!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

seeing as nobody has bothered trying to grasp the thread ill make it easier, post a you tube video of a band you like, the next poster responding posts another video from a similar band! Others can debate which is better if you like!

Sooooo, you post one video, the next poster responding posts a similar video, done, …easy yeah??
    There's already a thread for that sort of thing so if this thread does just turn into a succession of video posts with no discussion then this thread will be closed.

Malice_ wrote: »
    There's already a thread for that sort of thing so if this thread does just turn into a succession of video posts with no discussion then this thread will be closed.

may as well close it, no one seems arsed discussing just abusing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

may as well close it, no one seems arsed discussing just abusing :confused:

Come play SongTitle or BandConnection promise we'll be sweet and gentle :rolleyes:

Jemmaa wrote: »
    Come play SongTitle or BandConnection promise we'll be sweet and gentle :rolleyes:
    See, we are nice on here :).

In the words of Monica Geller: "rules help control the fun!" :p

no shortage of humour on said thread here kisses xxx

Applause plzzz for Malevolent Creation! epic band from a period long since forgotten! Jurassic period. When they came on the scene Death metal was just about roar for the first time! Had Retribution on vinyl with that big beast below all over it, scared the bjebus out of me ¬

Bass drums are so fookin awesome on these albums! Seriously, Death Metal except no subs!

• Advertisement

Jemmaa wrote: »
    Band connection?

I think we should give the winners medal to Dazmarz on that one, its been over 2 months and no replies to his answer!

Band connection?

I think we should give the winners medal to Dazmarz on that one, its been over 2 months and no replies to his answer!
    Fixed.

Thanks to Wikipedia

Malice_ wrote: »
    Fixed.

Thanks to Wikipedia

Cheater cheater pumpkin eater! :mad: :D

Did I say Wikipedia? I meant my encyclopediac knowledge of Rock/Metal side-projects.

hey there my on topic friends :pac:

hey there my on topic friends :pac:

Happy back there??

RearSeat2.jpg

Happy back there??

RearSeat2.jpg

is that really the best you can do??? i thought most spammers or trolls dont get fed here?

is that really the best you can do??? i thought most spammers or trolls dont get fed here?
    Max isn't a spammer or a troll (or if he is he's doing a bad job of it ;)). He was just pointing out that you were doing a bit of back seat moderating which isnt' generally tolerated.

Anyhow, I don't think this thread is going to go anywhere so let's just accept that the winner is mid to late eighties-era Metallica and leave it at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement