Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peru Emergency over cold weather

Options
  • 24-07-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

So I see that Peru is having a similar winter experience to what we experienced ourselves 6 months ago.
    BBC News wrote:
    The Peruvian government has declared a state of emergency in more than half the country due to cold weather.
    Most of the areas affected are in the south, where temperatures regularly drop below zero centigrade at this time of year.
    However, this time temperatures have dropped to as low as -24C.
    The state of emergency means regional authorities can dip into emergency funds to provide medicine, blankets and shelter to those most affected.
    Seasonal deaths The state of emergency was declared in 16 of Peru's 24 regions.
    This week Peru's capital, Lima, recorded its lowest temperatures in 46 years at 8C, and the emergency measures apply to several of its outlying districts.
    In Peru's hot and humid Amazon region, temperatures dropped as low as 9C. The jungle region has recorded five cold spells this year.
    Hundreds of people - nearly half of them very young children - have died of cold-related diseases, such as pneumonia, in Peru's mountainous south where temperatures can plummet at night to -20C.
    Poor rural populations living at more than 3,000m above sea level are the most affected.
    Doctors say malnutrition, extreme poverty and poor living conditions are major contributing factors to the seasonal deaths.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10749124

Ok I know nothing about weather let me state first, but I'm wondering what you weatherites interpret from this ? Is it mere chance that they have colder winter same year northern hemisphere does ? Is it just a cold year globablly ? Or is it more than that ? Does it have implications for our next winter ?

Anyhow - just wondering what you who know think

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Are they foreal releasing a state of emergency with 9c temps i had colder than that 2 nights ago, get over it like 9c can do anything to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

owenc wrote: »
    Are they foreal releasing a state of emergency with 9c temps i had colder than that 2 nights ago, get over it like 9c can do anything to you..

Have you even read the whole thing or did you just look at one of the figures and ignore the rest of it?

Try saying "get over it" to the
    hundreds of people - nearly half of them very young children - have died of cold-related diseases, such as pneumonia, in Peru's mountainous south where temperatures can plummet at night to -20C.

Your attitude is disgusting and very, very annoying Owen. I honestly cannot stand to see one more thing you post on this forum. It's one thing to be annoying when it comes to harmless weather chat here, but your ignorant attitude towards the deaths of those poor people is almost sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I was in Guangzhou China last winter. Guangzhou is in the sub tropics and normally never gets cold. They don't have any heating at all, just aircon that cools.
    I have never ever been so cold and sick in my life for the week they had an unseasonably cold spell. The constant damp cold winds, with nothing but summer clothes to wear, you go indoors and there is no respite, the hotel room is freezing, the windows dont shut because they are not designed to be shut ever, your bed has a thin blanket because it "never" gets cold there. You live from one warm meal to the next. Temperatures there were similar with 9°C by day and around 8°C at night.

I thought coming from Ireland that these temps would be easy to cope with...I was wrong, try it with no heating, no warm clothes and living conditions that don't even allow you to close the windows indoors (you might as well be outdoors all the time)and see how you fare.
    It was constantly overcast ..not even the suns rays to warm you up outside.

I can easily see how temperatures of 8°C could be life threatening for the old and the sick and young.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Have you even read the whole thing or did you just look at one of the figures and ignore the rest of it?

Try saying "get over it" to the

Your attitude is disgusting and very, very annoying Owen. I honestly cannot stand to see one more thing you post on this forum. It's one thing to be annoying when it comes to harmless weather chat here, but your ignorant attitude towards the deaths of those poor people is almost sickening.

Well have you seen them releaseing a state of emergency for the uk when we were far colder, and incase you haven't noticed thousands die in the uk everyday and you don't see them releasing a state of emergency then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

In the tropics or sub tropics, it must be like us getting -16C which did feel extreme while -2C or -3C felt alright.
    Whatever you are use to is acceptable, anything outside the accepted norm for any region is just a huge shock to the system.

Like in France in 2003 when thousands of people died from the heat, there are lots of people who died from the cold across Europe last winter.
    If it is outside the normal conditions for an area then it is a risk to life.

To answer OP's question, some weather people are predicting another very cold winter for us again.
    It might be a trend, 2008/2009 winter was a cold winter and as we know 2009/2010 left the previous winter in the shade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Well have you seen them releaseing a state of emergency for the uk when we were far colder, and incase you haven't noticed thousands die in the uk everyday and you don't see them releasing a state of emergency then.

You really don't have a clue about the world. Try substituting the time you spend making silly posts with reading about the subject. These are real people that you are dismissing. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Seriously guys just ignore the bridge dweller

Seriously guys just ignore the bridge dweller

Added to ignore list i don't have to listen to that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

another topic derailed !!!! are there mods on this forum. every topic is being hijacked. i dont care what ye say he is not for real

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Try sleeping outside in a t-shirt owen, see how well you fare. Now imagine your immune system is used to operating at a tropical temperature, the shock to the system is big enough to cause respiratory problems, especially in countries where they don't have sufficient medical care and lack basic facilities or have underlying health issues in the first place. Don't be so ignorant, you have no idea how the human body reacts to temperature fluctuations, you are acclimatised to this weather, they are not. It is not comparable, and if you say it is, you are severely ignorant. You can stay inside with a radiator and a wooly jumper if need be. The level of stupidity and ignorance displayed in your posts is astounding. Grow up, you really have no clue.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    another topic derailed !!!! are there mods on this forum. every topic is being hijacked. i dont care what ye say he is not for real

Goodbye i'm sick of people running me down and not beleiving me they aren't here they haven't got a clue. I will not be posting here agian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Added to ignore list i don't have to listen to that crap.

Sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Would the areas where it usually falls to 0c not be somewhat prepared? Then again I doubt many would have particularly high building specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Goodbye i'm sick of people running me down and not beleiving me they aren't here they haven't got a clue. I will not be posting here agian.

Why because I got a lower temperature than you a few nights ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Sweet

AHAHAHAHA , post of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Australlia is also getting a cold winter... it seems to be round the SH also.

Did I read somewhere that Antarctic ice is also on the high side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Ah no Owen , we can change , we swear , if ya come back it will be different.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

km79 wrote: »

Actually, I find Owen very real.

Owen, don't be silly and stay with us! :(

back on topic!
    I get the impression weather patterns are getting more extreme at the moment, hotter than usual in parts of the northern hemisphere and colder in the south.

Could it be the El Nino effect, or some other factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 19VanD87

The weather this year has been nuts all over the world tbh..thats very sad though whats happening to all those people especially in a place that is so warm most of the time..just makes you think what is actually happening with the weather this year

• Advertisement
Advertisement