Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashes 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd love to have seen Collingwood refer that wicket for a noball...:pac:
    crackit wrote: »
    Don't talk bollo*ks. I've seen far worse by far more experienced cricketers. It happend in a flash and the only man who knew for sure was Hughes.

Nah, even Haddin knew and he's the first to claim anything like Pietersen caught behind in Melbourne that got Ponting his fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

wheres healy when you nee him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Need a wicket before lunch, and then another 1 or 2 quickly after the new ball is taken

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

dfx- wrote: »
    Nah, even Haddin knew and he's the first to claim anything like Pietersen caught behind in Melbourne that got Ponting his fine.

Nah

Haddin had a fair idea but the only man who knew for sure was Hughes. Anyone who has ever fielded that close to the bat will tell you that. Haddin might have been 90% but he didn't know 100%.

Beer is about as average as I thought he'd be too. He dries Cook up for a few then thinks he needs to do something so throws one up a foot wide of the off.

100 overs before Smith is picked, Mike Hussey too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I don't see what the big fuss is here. Hughes said that he wasn't sure and asked the umpire to make a decision? When you look at the video in slow motion is is pretty easy to see what happened. When you look at it in real time, it could easily be out.

If the guy had claimed the catch then I would have an issue, but he said he wasn't sure and asked the umpire to make a decision using the available technology. What is wrong with that?

Same with regards to the Bell catch behind. He wasn't sure and asked for technology to be used. Hot Spot showed that there was no nick, even though snicko showed that there was a sound, but the umpire went with the approved technology and gave him not out.

If you allow players to question decisions, via the referral system, then surely players are entitled to ask the question when they are not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

mike65 wrote: »
    Aussies 1 England 3

From the 24/7/2010, Hope you had money on it:D looks like a very good prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Game over.
    Outplayed over about 80% of the series' sessions and simply not psychologically strong enough to withstand the growing pressure.

Amazed Strauss didn't declare when Bell was out. Plenty of room for wickets in a 200-run lead with two full days play to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

JustinDee wrote: »

Amazed Strauss didn't declare when Bell was out. Plenty of room for wickets in a 200-run lead with two full days play to go.

Just in case Australia put any sort of score together. The way that pitch is going to look on day 5, i wouldn't want to be chasing anything much over 100-150

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NWPat wrote: »
    From the 24/7/2010, Hope you had money on it:D looks like a very good prediction.

Did I ****! Hope the Aussies force a draw or it rains! :p

Just in case Australia put any sort of score together. The way that pitch is going to look on day 5, i wouldn't want to be chasing anything much over 100-150
    Two words for you, especially with day 4 in mind: Weather forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The only possible way England could draw this series now would be to declare, let Australia rack up a 150 or so lead in quick time and then collapse themselves on day 5. They have the series win as long as they don't do that.

I can see England batting on for another session if they can keep their wickets. Once the lead is up at over 300 the chances of the above scenario happening are extremely slim and they'd still have plenty of time to bowl Australia out for what could possibly be another innings defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think England will be quite happy to draw this and win series 2-1 rather than giving Aus a sniff at 2-2

But I think Prior and co will be bowled out in first hour....

Getting bowled out early tomorrow is England's best chance of winning this game. There is no chance of a declaration that gives Aus any opportunity to put pressure on England to save the game. Can you imagine the stick Straus would get if he put his team in that position.

of course-only a madman,or hansie cronje would declare on on day 3 with only 200 run lead on a pitch which will be turning alot on day 5.
    prior,bresnan and swann are all handy batsmen and are capable of putting on another hundred at least,and quick.

• Advertisement

Getting bowled out early tomorrow is England's best chance of winning this game. There is no chance of a declaration that gives Aus any opportunity to put pressure on England to save the game. Can you imagine the stick Straus would get if he put his team in that position.

It is a position that is impossible for England to end up in.

JustinDee wrote: »
    It is a position that is impossible for England to end up in.

Certainly not the case. Unlikely yes, given the form of both teams, but no where near impossible: eg. If Straus were to declare overnight Australia could get a lead of 150 to 200 with two sessions left. Lots of teams have been bowled out in two sessions.

NB: Everyone thought it was impossible for England to win the 1981 Headingly test (500/1). But it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Lads what you are preaching is cricket by the book and I know why Strauss is doing it that way but this is where he falls short for me.

Look at Australia's run of scores in the series

107/1

There is absolutely nothing there to make you think they can bat to a lead of more than maybe 50-100 if they can even get their noses it front at all. They have barely broken the 300 mark in the series.

If by some miracle they did get a 200 run lead why would anyone be afraid of a turning pitch with Beer and Smith bowling at them. Especially when all the England batsmen have scored runs during the series.

I completely understand what Strauss is doing but at some stage in his career he's going to have to be a bit bolder.

I completely understand what Strauss is doing but at some stage in his career he's going to have to be a bit bolder.

Yes, he can be over cautious, but of all times, this is not the time to be bold. A series win in Australia doesn't come along too often and Straus should not and will not do anything to allow Australia back into the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Yes, he can be over cautious, but of all times, this is not the time to be bold. A series win in Australia doesn't come along too often and Straus should not and will not do anything to allow Australia back into the game.

Agree 100%. 2-1 is good enough, 3-1 is a bonus but 2-2 would be a real downer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Interestingly Michael Vaughan was arguably very bold when winning the home series in 2005, but that's what he had to do to win the urn back.

Strauss has both won and successfully defended the Ashes. You really cannot ask of anything more of him than to win a series in Australia. Why be bold if it risks in any way not winning the series?

Beasty wrote: »
    Interestingly Michael Vaughan was arguably very bold when winning the home series in 2005, but that's what he had to do to win the urn back
    Its what he was told in the clubhouse during his umpteenth toilet break!

If my memory serves me right, it was the England bowlers taking toilet breaks in rotation, not Vaughan. Who can forget Gary Pratt(subbing for Jones I think) running out Ponting and the rant that followed.

If my memory serves me right, it was the England bowlers taking toilet breaks in rotation, not Vaughan. Who can forget Gary Pratt(subbing for Jones I think) running out Ponting and the rant that followed.

I was at Lords test. Vaughan was constantly 'in need' and off the oval.
    David Lloyd wasn't too impressed with it later on in the series in a newspaper column he wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Collingwood retiring from test cricket once this game is finished. Time for Morgan to step up and come in at 6 while Bell moves up to 5.

Puting us out of his misery! Though he will continue in the short forms of the game.

Mothman wrote: »

But I think Prior and co will be bowled out in first hour....
    Couldn't be more wrong :rolleyes:

Will stay up for Prior's century...
    and new ball may be of interest.

Prior's hundred - the fastest England Ashes century since Botham in 1981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

should they declare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nope, no panic in getting Australia in to bat. It's all in Englands hands at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Is there any way of listening to TMS in Ireland?

20 off the over-good man mitchell!
    anyone know the words to the song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

198 long wave on a radio, or - on a computer - install Expat Shield from the web & listen to 5 live Sports Extra on the BBC I-player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Happened to be looking at the BBC website and noticed that England just hit a milestone: 636/9 at lunch. The score equals England's 1928 record for a Test in Australia, and there's probably more to come. Swann (#10) & Tremlett (#11) made 20 off one over just before that . Rub it in, chaps? ;)

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

Watson again :pac:

It's not looking good........

If you have a Sky box you can add radio 4 LW through the add a channel process. The option gives crystal clear reception 198 Lw on a radio can be a bit hit and miss.

dfx- wrote: »
    Watson again :pac:

It's not looking good........

Oh yes it is!!!!!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you have a Sky box you can add radio 4 LW through the add a channel process. The option gives crystal clear reception 198 Lw on a radio can be a bit hit and miss.
    Radio 5 Live Sports Extra can also be added - they normally have the cricket on there even when not on Radio 4 Long wave (such as ODIs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Beasty wrote: »
    Radio 5 Live Sports Extra can also be added - they normally have the cricket on there even when not on Radio 4 Long wave (such as ODIs)

....or when the commentary on Radio 4 Long Wave is interrupted for the shipping forecast;)

• Advertisement

harpsman wrote: »
    20 off the over-good man mitchell!
    anyone know the words to the song?

He bowls to the left,
    He bowls to the right,
    Mitchell Johnson,
    Your bowling is shiiite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Maybe it's good thing Australia got beaten so badly, means they'll finally admit the side is gone to the wall and need to rejuvenate ASAP. Might make them a lot more better prepared next time, not saying they'll win because they don't have the players, but a competitive more organised Australia with proper bowling plans might make it closer next time.

I notice also the bookies have made England odds on to beat India this summer. India have just drawn for the first time in South Africa, they're not the pushovers away from home people they used to be, reckon that'll be close.

hope so.they are usually particularly **** in england-must be the weather

Free for all today. Just watching the highlights for yesterday Khawaja reminded me of David Gower. Seems to see the ball early and dispatch it gracefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Great way to finish the series, presentations a bit of a damp squib but nice to see England raise the tiny trophy. Some nice resistance by Smith and Siddle at the end but only delayed the inevitable.

Hopefully the one-dayers aren't a let down after the ashes, will be good to see Morgan get a run out after carrying the drinks for the Tests.

• Advertisement

Well done, at least the next Ashes will be at a decent hour! :p

Is it true that the next ashes series in Australia is 2013/14 a year earlier because of the CWC? So that means there will two ashes series one after the other?

Gnobe wrote: »
    Is it true that the next ashes series in Australia is 2013/14 a year earlier because of the CWC? So that means there will two ashes series one after the other?
    The 2013 Ashes is in England. This would finish in September if I'm correct. Are you saying that they're moving the next series back so that it takes place two months later?

Cant imagine that being true,

Well done to England, by far the superior team, Australia outplayed in all facets of the game as Clarke and others have said, but there have been some positives and plenty of work to do!

kryogen wrote: »
    Cant imagine that being true

It's being discussed about a lot.

http://story.irishsun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/15665b944045da4a/id/728471/cs/1/

BTW this story is in the times, telegraph and guardian so I'd imagine quite a few people are saying it now. Australia want it moved because of the 2015 CWC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement