Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashes 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

decies wrote: »
    Handy thanks,i see five live sports extra is blocked for tonight so its lw in the scratcher .

http://radiotime.com/program/p_224897/As_BBC_Radio_5_Live.aspx

You could try this, it's working for me. There's a few more radio stations listed on the site too

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Good bowling from England in the 2nd session but terrible batting. It will be a series of 3-4 day games if this keeps up.

Ponting gets out to a strangle down leg first ball after lunch. Given the circumstances it was an awful way to get out.
    Katich, who got himself in, gives it away then.
    Clarke was shocking and it was only a matter of time with him.
    North got a good one but it wasn't that good.

So there you go 3 of your 4 under pressure batsmen produce nothing.

Theres a long way to go and anything can happen and all that but it shows the Aussie selectors up for being pig headed and stupid. Hauritz with his 38 wickets at 27 in Australia is the only one who got the chop going in.

The flop squad middle order, who probably should have been changed somewhat at least, then choke/don't perform in a pressure situation. North will get the chop after this I'm pretty sure. Clarke should get the chop too but he won't. His form is horrific. However, you can't be dropping the next captain no matter how badly he's playing apparently.

Judging by what we've seen so far it's in Englands hands if they can step up the batting a bit. There bowling has been much better than Australias was and Australias batting has probably been marginally worse than Englands was.

If Australia don't pull themselves together and quickly in all aspects of the game this could be an ugly series for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The most intensly boring and tedious 10 seconds of my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

MUSEIST wrote: »
    The most intensly boring and tedious 10 seconds of my life

we're talking about the ashes here not you losing your virginity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

ok lads, i know nothin about cricket but paddy power gimme an enhanced odds bet on england winnin the 1st test (4/1) so do they have any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

ok lads, i know nothin about cricket but paddy power gimme an enhanced odds bet on england winnin the 1st test (4/1) so do they have any chance ?

I think it's a decent price, and England have every chance of winning this test, though it all depends on how England get on today, how much were you thinking of putting on it?, I wouldn't go mad on them myself :D...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I really hope you didn't get on that.

364/5 and Haddin just brought up his century with a belter of six.

Hussey on 137 n.o. Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

It appears that normal service has resumed as far as Ashes tests go in Australia

5/421 on a FLAT batting belter any Indian pitch curator would be proud of!!.....so much for Australian pitches being kind to the bowlers:(.....afraid more of the same to come in Adelaide

England being bowled out for 260 is a reflection on their batting than anything special about Australia's bowling....Siddle notwithstanding....If England are really as good as all the the pre-series tripe seemed to suggest and don't panic like they usually do in Australia they should be able to bat this one out to safety

Hats off to Mr.Cricket.....173 and going strong....didn't think he still had it in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

crackit wrote: »
    If Australia don't pull themselves together and quickly in all aspects of the game this could be an ugly series for them
    One-eyed diatribe and nothing but.
    Cricket is a squad game. Some perform when others fail. That's the beauty of the sport. Bottom line is Aussie are in the driving seat and the pressure is on England.
    Its actually okay to give credit where credit is due.

JustinDee wrote: »
    One-eyed diatribe and nothing but.
    Cricket is a squad game. Some perform when others fail. That's the beauty of the sport. Bottom line is Aussie are in the driving seat and the pressure is on England.
    Its actually okay to give credit where credit is due.

Hopefully nobody's giving any credit to Movember Johnson for the position Australia find themselves in......we all knew the pie chucker couldn't bowl.....he's proved today he can't bat either

• Advertisement

Deep insight there.

wow....equally thought provoking comeback there

Hope you didn't put any money on England

One eyed diatribe? I don't fcuking think so. I'll give Hussey and Haddin all the credit in the world for getting stuck in, riding their luck in parts (new ball) and then making hay. It was a pleasure to watch but there are still big question marks.

Whether you like to acknowledge the fact, the other 8 wickets outside of that pair went for 150 runs. A good opening partnership was followed by a flurry of wickets then an amazing partnership was followed by a flurry of wickets. Minus the 1st and 5th wicket stands Australia made 100. If you think that problem with the batting will disappear for the series because of a couple of players making huge scores in a single innings then you haven't a clue.

Ponting, Clarke and North are all under huge amounts of pressure to score runs (althought North is the only one with much to worry about IMO). They can't rely on Haddin and Hussey to score 300 between them every time to bail them out if they fail

The bowling was much better in the pressure spell with the new ball before the close but there are still 10 England wickets to take.

All in all the pressure has been lifted somewhat by 2 mens performance. It doesn't make all Aussies problems go away with the wave of a wand. I'm more than aware that a couple of players can change a game (just as it has) but it doesn't magically make all the other issues a team has go away.

booth70 wrote: »
    Hope you didn't put any money on England

just 20 quid, im still in the dark as to whos winnin, is it over? can england still win the 1st test :confused:

excuse my ignorance, i just dont follow cricket (prob the only sport i lack any knowledge in) :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

just 20 quid, im still in the dark as to whos winnin, is it over? can england still win the 1st test :confused:

excuse my ignorance, i just dont follow cricket (prob the only sport i lack any knowledge in) :o

Not over yet, England unlikely to win.

My opinion: not a good idea to bet on something you've no idea about. I don't bet on horses for that exact reason.

Calm down lol.
    If they win tests all the angry-dude-on-the-net 'analysis' becomes even more irrelevant.
    So long as there are standout innings from some of the batting lineup, any team can do well. Aussie's weakness is their bowling and most definitely not the lineup of blades. Maybe North will get the nudge but there's talent waiting in the wings.
    England are now under the cosh thanks to the batting. Baggy Greens have two days with a weaker attack to ensure the win.
    Try not to blow a gasket if they manage it ;)

TrueDub wrote: »
    Not over yet, England unlikely to win.

My opinion: not a good idea to bet on something you've no idea about. I don't bet on horses for that exact reason.

well they were 15/8 on the exchange and i got enhanced odds of 4/1 , regardless of whether or not i know anything about cricket, its a good bet just based on the odds im getting ye know?? its a no-brainer really !

so england still have a chance? thats good C`MON ENGLAND !! (thats the 1st time ive ever said that! ) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

It could have been oh so different if England had got that wicket that they deserved. Australia got lucky but didn't let their opportunity out of their grasp.

Stuart Broad is an ineffective opening bowler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Lovely batting from Strauss and Cook. A lot of time left in the test but pitch a bit dull at the moment

• Advertisement

What???
    Days 4 and 5 on the Gabba, at MCG and the SCG are consistently perfect for a good turner of the ball with nice bounce to boot.
    Flat batting tracks indeed . . .

1/309 on a day 4 pitch...:(

1/309 on a day 4 pitch...:(
    Hasn't exactly been a typical Gabba track, fella.

They batted well. Strauss is class and Cook has been on the end of some unfair stick in the gutter press.
    Good comeback by England.
    As said earlier, problem is the Aussie attack.

Hasn't exactly been a typical Gabba track, fella.

They batted well. Strauss is class and Cook has been on the end of some unfair stick in the gutter press.
    Good comeback by England.
    As said earlier, problem is the Aussie attack.

Problem is both the attacks now!!....after watching Australia in England and India this year I seriously had my doubts about how they were going to take 20 wickets but having watched England struggle on what is easily the best bowling wicket in Australia not sure about them too now....

With the batting belter that is Adelaide coming up next this series could end up being the most boring Ashes ever...here's hoping it isn't!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Wow knew the Australia attack was average didn't realize it was completely hopeless. Watched the first session and expected to get up to a score like that. The spinner pick is looking more baffling Doherty is about as threatening as a bag of kittens. But its the quicks who i'm surprised by. Johnson is in the team on reputation, Hilfenhous doesn't look like he'll get a wicket if he's there for a fortnight, Siddle is a trier but his 6 first innings wicket hide the fact he's just not very good and Watson is a part timer at best. If England can't win this series they should just give up!!

Yeah looks like my 'one eyed diatribe' was miles off now doesn't it. As I said, If Australia don't get their act together this series could get ugly for them. Also, I presume you thought I was supporting England in the series? For the record, I'm not.

Australia have to contend with 3-4 batsmen completely out of nick and a bowling attack that looks like it lacks any bite whatsoever. Sure the pitch isn't the best to bowl on but they have done nothing with 2 new balls now and it doesn't look to get much better. Doherty is okay and he tries hard enough but has done absolutely nothing to warrant his selection. North has been the better bowler out of the two.

The worst thing from their perespective is how to rememdy the problem mid-series if the trends continue. If the players didn't find their form, and if Australia go behind and something has to change, then mid-series and a game down wouldn't exactly be ideal.

Personally I think North is probably the only one destined for the chop. However, Johnson should go as well IMO. I'm well aware of what his potential for being a match winner is but how long is it since he bowled like that? The first test against NZ in March is the last time I remember him being that kind of bowler but there's been little either side of that performance. Last time he was really, really in form (for me at least) was that back to back series against South Africa and how long ago is that? End of 2008/Start of 2009? I mean he's been okay since then but he's no longer deserving of an unquestioned selection IMO.

It's early in the series but the signs, IMO, are very, very ominious if you're an Aussie fan. Who knows, maybe all the batsmen will find touch in the next test and the bowlers will all turn it on starting tonight but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

March 09 for Johnson, but Phillip Hughes was outstanding in that series too and he's out of favour a long time..who comes in for North?

Good for Siddle to get six wickets, but he needs the others to help get the other 14 to win and none look likely to get them. Would've enjoyed the channel9 commentary for last night's coverage...:pac:

They might recover in the series, but Australia have been a sorry sight this morning so far. A real low...

From Johnson bowling a Harmison-esque wide, Clarke dropping the ball, numerous mis-fields, Doherty ineffective..you could almost feel sorry for the likes of Watson and Ponting, 400-1 :eek:

Botham and his "spot-the-Aussie" competition in the crowd:D

Absolutely shocking. I won't go into the why and whats again but as I said Australia are in big, big trouble if they don't turn it around quickly. How three days off is going to be enough to turn this around without at least a couple of changes to the lineup is beyond me.

I'd like to see Bollinger back in (and a pissed off Bollinger I'd say) for Johnson and Hauritz back in for Doherty. I'd get rid of North too but I don't really fancy Kahwaja or Smith yet. If I was an Australian selector I'd be ringing up Brad Hodge begging him to save the day or Andrew Blizzard telling him he has nothing to lose.

As excited as people on here got about Hussey and Haddin putting on 303 in a total of 481 just take a look at England. 400/1 on a more worn (albeit still flat) pitch.

If this trend continues in the series England will hammer Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think it will be a close series, hopefully one where England retain the ashes. Really disappointing crowd in, previous days not sold out either.

Recession must be keeping people away.

• Advertisement

:D Nothing to do with the recession. It's to do with it being a Monday morning and no Aussie in their right mind going to take a day off work to go and watch this sh*t.

Sorry to post again so soon after another but...

Botham just mentioned murmurs of Johnson and North being dropped amongst the Aussie press. That's fair enough.

Riddle me this boards.ie cricket posters.

Does Doherty deserve to keep his place and, if so, why?

In my book he didn't deserve his shot in the first place. He hasn't done anything with it (even though conditions are tough) so why should he be kept on for another test. Why keep the training wheels on for a newbie when you are under pressure when you can have a bowler who has been in the team for the last 18 months and bowled against England plenty of times back in your XI.

Hauritz should definitely not have been dropped, but I don't think you can hunt after Doherty for this 'effort'. Bollinger has to come in. I'd also still throw in Stuart Clark. For who? No real batsmen I think would oust the ones in, so bowling changes as far as I'm concerned..

For North and Johnson probably. Hilfenhaus maybe? Hauritz is not really threatening, but he can bat - I think he has a test 100 and you've worked through his initial problems...and then dropped from the series you've been working towards..:confused:

I'm not 'hunting' Doherty. I feel sorry for the guy. He's not good enough to play test cricket (yet) and he's been pitched into a tough situation. I'm just saying why play a novice when you can play a lad with experience. Aussie will be under the pump going into the next game. It's not an indictment of Doherty who has played okay (but who I think is a very average player at best) but rather a question about Aussie logic.

Let me put it this way. If Haurtiz had played this test (on the back of 18 good months and 38 wickets @ 27 in Australia) and finished with Dohertys current figures of 45-8-136-2 then I guarantee you he would have been hammered from all quarters and he would have been the first man for the chop.

So a guy who is embedded in the team (Hauritz) and played fairly well but who got dropped (stay with me here people!) would have in all likelihood been dropped had he returned Dohertys figures for this game.
    Instead he was replaced by a novice (Doherty) who has produced of performance that would have in all likelihood got the established man (Haurtiz) dropped (had he played) but will probably be enough to get the novice (Doherty) a place in the next test.

This is my problem with Aussie selector logic. They are so pig headed it beggars belief

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Pardon my ignorance but why did the match end in a draw when england were belting two shades of grey out of the aussies!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jank wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but why did the match end in a draw when england were belting two shades of grey out of the aussies!
    Because there is a finite time in which to gain victory - in the case of a Test Match it's 5 days - if no positive result at the end of 5 days, it's a draw, regardless of how dominant one team has been.

It's back to square one in terms of the series, with each team heading into the next match even. However given England hold the Ashes, the onus is more on the Aussies to get a positive result, as they need to win the series to regain them.

• Advertisement

Have to say, disappointed in that boring track. Was similar to that in the equivalent test in the '98 Ashes.
    Adelaide will probably be a draw too. Only a spinner can unlock that one and I haven't seen any decent spin so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

crackit wrote: »
    Botham just mentioned murmurs of Johnson and North being dropped amongst the Aussie press. That's fair enough.

Ryan Harris and Doug Bollinger added to the Aussie squad this morning, test match special were spot on with reporting this 30mins before Botham. Both players were not considered for the 1st test as the selectors felt they needed more game time. Hilfenhaus and Johnson to be dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Once heck of an innings to save a match. Some here appear to think test matches should be played like a 20/20 judging from some comments. Every pitch provides its own
    challanges and opportunities.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Ryan Harris and Doug Bollinger added to the Aussie squad this morning, test match special were spot on with reporting this 30mins before Botham. Both players were not considered for the 1st test as the selectors felt they needed more game time. Hilfenhaus and Johnson to be dropped.
    Dropping Hilfenhaus would be a touch too drastic, in my opinion. The pitch was mince. Not his fault. He was unlucky on some chances too. They need a tight seamer to support a quickie or a spinner.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Aussie just said 'bugger it' and went for five bowlers. Personally I'd like to see Smith put in for North, moving Haddin up the order one place and Smith going 7. He's got heaps of talent and can bowl a bit too.
    Risky move admittedly though.

After watching the pie chuckers from both teams I doubt whether we'll have a result in any of the 5 tests......quality of the pitches notwithstanding!!

Tedious draws coming up in Adelaide and Melbourne....Australia to win in Perth with England to square the series in Sydney;)

Just about reflects the current rankings of both these sides

• Advertisement

Here's an interesting stat I read somewhere on on North....

When the Australian score is less than 150 upon his arrival at the crease, he averages 6

What a man to have for a crisis!!;)

Tedious draws coming up in Adelaide and Melbourne....Australia to win in Perth with England to square the series in Sydney;)

Just about reflects the current rankings of both these sides
    What makes you think the MCG will be a draw?? It rarely hosts anything but a result.
    England's history at the SCG usually entailed winning a test after the series was already decided. Given this series being most likely a close one, I wouldn't see similar circumstances arising in January so it would be a hard one to predict.
    Perth can go either way truth be told.

"Rankings" are utterly meaningless.

What makes you think the MCG will be a draw?? It rarely hosts anything but a result

Well... seeing as you are an expert on Australian pitches I'll take your word for it....wasn't it you who said something about the Gabba and it being a bowlers paradise:(

The quality of bowling on both sides is such that I dont see how either side is going to take 20 wickets to win a test.

Well... seeing as you are an expert on Australian pitches I'll take your word for it....wasn't it you who said something about the Gabba and it being a bowlers paradise:(
    Well I've lived in Australia long enough to know a thing or two about them, particularly The Gabba (my local test ground though I was in NSW) which is generally a good result wicket. This year it hasn't been though.
    By the way, what I said was that the Gabba, SCG and MCG usually produced some turn on days 4 and 5. You lumped all the test ovals except Brisbane as flat-tracks. This to anyone who knows a bit about Aussie cricket, is incorrect.
    The quality of bowling on both sides is such that I dont see how either side is going to take 20 wickets to win a test.
    England have the better attack. They have the best spinner in the world at the moment (since you love rankings ;)) and thats the difference between the sides bowling-wise. The hope for Australia regarding Swann is that he hasn't found any form, length or luck yet. They went after him and he wilted a little.

Well I've lived in Australia long enough to know a thing or two about them, particularly The Gabba (my local test ground though I was in NSW) which is generally a good result wicket. This year it hasn't been though.
    By the way, what I said was that the Gabba, SCG and MCG usually produced some turn on days 4 and 5. You lumped all the test ovals except Brisbane as flat-tracks. This to anyone who knows a bit about Aussie cricket, is incorrect.
    England have the better attack. They have the best spinner in the world at the moment (since you love rankings ;)) and thats the difference between the sides bowling-wise. The hope for Australia regarding Swann is that he hasn't found any form, length or luck yet. They went after him and he wilted a little.

Nobody's the best spinner in the world until they have performed well against the best players of spin bowling....ie...the Indians.....Even Warney's and Murali's record against India is rubbish compared to their career averages.....Despite the usual British media hype about his quality I always thought Swann's true test would be against the Indians in England next summer....therefore quite surprised at the way he struggled here

I take on board your comments about the pitches but still can't see Melbourne and Adelaide producing results given what we saw at the Gabba....we shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I'm guessing Lee can't be called up at this stage?, he's just got a five Wicket haul against Western Australia, sure I can dream :)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

they can call him alright but considering his retirement from test cricket i doubt it will happen

It would look bad also

I take on board your comments about the pitches but still can't see Melbourne and Adelaide producing results given what we saw at the Gabba....we shall see!
    In twenty years of tests at the MCG, I can think of one, maybe two, draws there. It is a result wicket.
    Warnie and Muralidaran have far better records against India (who you subjectively build up far too much) by the way.

Warnie and Muralidaran have far better records against India (who you subjectively build up far too much) by the way.

I happen to be from India....so if its ok with you my loyalties lie with India....as far as building them up goes I have acknowledged elsewhere in this forum that the no: 1 ranking that they hold at present is kinda meaningless if they don't beat Australia and South Africa AWAY from home

With regards to the two 'best' spin bowlers this world has ever seen....

Warney

Career 708 at 25.41
    v India 43 in 14 matches at 47.18

Murali

Career 800 at 22.72
    v India 105 in 22 matches at 32.61

Yep....I agree both Warney and Murali have great records against India!!!:(

I happen to be from India...
    Quelle surprise . . .

• Advertisement