Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashes 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Katich ruled out of rest of series. Phil Hughes should be a cert for Perth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

That was yyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaahhhh, amazing!!:D:D:D Just wanted to come and do a little victory dance as my housemates are German and have no idea about cricket so yayayayayay:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Big trouble for Australia now compounded by the Katich injury. It hinders them in the reshuffle that is needed. Katich could have gone back to 6 with Hughes opening (just saying it was an option) but now they need to have a good hard think about what to do.

Ponting was talking about not needing to change personnel in his post match interview. I wouldn't expect him to bash anyone but if he seriously thinks Australias don't have a problem with the players they have he's mad. He kept saying it was just a case of them not executing plans. Fair enough just one minor point, though, Ricky. The players you have in the side aren't good enough to execute the plans.

Katich is injured, North will surely go now?, Doherty must go and Bollinger is likely to lose his place after being out bowled by Harris.

Australia Team for 3rd Test

1) Shane Watson
    2) Philip Hughes
    3) Ricky Ponting
    4) Michael Clarke
    5) Mike Hussey
    6) Steve Smith
    7) Brad Haddin
    8) Mitchell Johnson
    9) Nathan Hauritz
    10) Ryan Harris
    11) Peter Siddle

Those in green I'm pretty certain about. Hughes seems a no brainer (Jacques the only other candidate) and I reckon Johnson takes his place back because they are so keen on him.

I'm not sure if they will drop North. If they do I expect Haddin to move up one and Smith to come in. I think he'll just shade Ferguson and Khawaja to a place in the side because he bowls reasonable leggies. He's at least as good a bowler as Doherty who got picked purely for his bowling but Smith has added value with the bat.

Speaking of Doherty he has to go. I'll say it again Hauritz is their #1 spinner whether they like it or not. The 7 wickets he got in the shield after being dropped was a good enough response for me regardless of how he goes against SA over the next few days.

Last one, I reckon Siddle is on the bubble now. If Bollinger hadn't been rubbish I reckon he'd definitely be out. Would Hilfenhaus come back? Or would a form bowler like Mark Cameron be called up. Or maybe yet another recall for Stuart Clark?

I know the Aussie selectors aren't adventurous but they have to make changes now. If they send the same team out again in Perth they will lose again and thats the bottom line.

As for England. Stick Tremlett in for Broad and and carry on as you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Terrific result, apparently Englands biggest win in Aus since 1966. Not bad at all considering England were a bowler light.

Australia have some real work to do. Despite the first two tests not reflecting well on them, I still wouldn't write them off completely. They are making it hard on themselves if they want to win the ashes back mind.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's another match between now and the third Test, and they will give Bresnan, Tremlett and almost certainly Shahzad (who is not officially in the squad, yet!) a run-out. They clearly will not take a decision on Broad's replacement before that match, but I would not be surprised is Shahzad gets the nod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

England throughly deserved it. Outplayed Aussie on almost every front.
    Magnamous interview from Strauss afterwards too. Always liked him regardless.
    Sky Sports definitely to be ignored over the next week or so, in particular that unqualified obnoxious idiot, Colville.

Aussie have some serious thinking to do over the next few days before Perth. Even a draw there would be a moral victory on an already confident English side. Has to be a win in whatever manner of speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

JustinDee wrote: »
    Sky Sports definitely to be ignored over the next week or so, in particular that unqualified obnoxious idiot, Colville.

An English writer, some years ago, referred to Charles Colvile as the man who put the "W" into TV anchorman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Love it! Good work England!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

If I was an Aussie selector my team would be
    Watson
    Hughes
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Ferguson
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Hauritz
    Harris
    George

I'd make an attempt to get Tait to play the last 3 tests. Bowl him in 4, 4 over spells and give Watson more overs to cover his load. Doubt he'll play but worth a shot.

Johnson is a match winner, if he gets it right (big if) and Aus need to win. Hauritz should have been number one spinner. Harris was ok in the last test. George would be a risky pick but his height on bouncy WACCA track might cause problems, plus he's not scarred from two maulings this series!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Australia have lost 4 of their last 5 tests.......can't see them winning 2 of the next 3 to regain the Ashes

The end is nigh for Ponting both as a player and as a captain.....If Australia don't regain the Ashes I can't see him captaining Australia again in a test match....and if I am not mistaken Australian captains generally lose their place in the team when they lose the captaincy

it's such a pity bcos while I don't think much of him as a captain he certainly still is among the best 2 or 3 players in the world......here's hoping he bats to his true potential in the next 3 tests and his teammates rally around him cos he deserves a better send of!!

The world of cricket does not need a 3-0 win to England.....we will never hear the end of it from Colville and co if that happens!!!.....

Come on you Aussies.....come out and support your team......seemed like a home match for England today watching the Barmy Army!!!

• Advertisement

Anyone knows what happened to that spinner Jason Krejza.....did he not take 8 wickwts on debut against India not too long ago.....If the series is still alive going to Sydney Australia may have to play 2 spinners there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Excellent performance from England, and they thoroughly desrve a 1-0 lead in the series. Pietersen taking the wicket of Clarke to end Day 4 was crucial.

Australia now need to win 2 of the remaining tests to regain the Ashes - that looks like a tall order at this stage. England have bowled, batted and fielded better, and they look the more confident and unified side.

booth70 wrote: »
    Anyone knows what happened to that spinner Jason Krejza.....did he not take 8 wickwts on debut against India not too long ago.....If the series is still alive going to Sydney Australia may have to play 2 spinners there

I know Krezja dirtied his bib years ago with a drink driving conviction. Not enough in itself to have such a bad knock on effect. However, a friend of mine who lives in Sydney and is involved in cricket over there, as well as being good friends with the curator at the SCG, said Krezja was a well known heavy drinker and generally not fully committed to those 'in the know' with state cricket.

Now I've no idea if this is why he's never come back on the radar for Australia. All I know is my mate would have no reason to make anything up. So that's my best guess as to why he's never been recalled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Is this a real shot of a few hours after they left the pitch?

Adelaide-rain---Australia-004.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sure is

crackit wrote: »
    I know Krezja dirtied his bib years ago with a drink driving conviction. Not enough in itself to have such a bad knock on effect. However, a friend of mine who lives in Sydney and is involved in cricket over there, as well as being good friends with the curator at the SCG, said Krezja was a well known heavy drinker and generally not fully committed to those 'in the know' with state cricket.

Now I've no idea if this is why he's never come back on the radar for Australia. All I know is my mate would have no reason to make anything up. So that's my best guess as to why he's never been recalled.

It could be that, it could also be that his 8 wickets against India cost him 215 runs and in his second test he went for match figures of 1 for 204 while bowling on a crumbling 5th day pitch!!

True enough. I'd say it's a bit of both. Aussie selectors have no patience. 8 wickets against India would be enough to win a handful of apperances to test him out. 1 good game, 1 bad game does not = being dropped forever in my book. I'd have given him a handful.

Doherty doesn't qualify for that rule, though, because he never deserved a shot in the first place and hasn't played well to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Why the hell don't they just pick Hauritz? It seems pretty simple to me. He is Australia's best spinner and he took 7 wickets on the WACA last week.

Fast bowlers: Copeland, Siddle and Harris.

Hughes to open and DHussey in for North.

I know it will never happen (and it's debatable whether it should or not) but I'm loving all this talk of Warne being recalled.

The Aussie selectors barely had the balls to drop Johnson after 18 months of non performance so they would never go for a bold move like that whether it had merit or not.

If you are a cricket fan, though, there has to be part of you that finds the idea of Warne riding in on his white horse for one last hurrah with his team with their backs to the wall as a fantastic idea.

Dear Santa,

What I want for Christmas this year .......

• Advertisement

Just up for another early start and checked the usual bookmarks.

Hauritz follows up 7 wickets and a Man of the Match performance last week with a maiden first class century (after being stuck in as a nightwatchman) tonight/today.

If they don't pick him then it's a travesty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I know it will never happen (and it's debatable whether it should or not) but I'm loving all this talk of Warne being recalled.

The Aussie selectors barely had the balls to drop Johnson after 18 months of non performance so they would never go for a bold move like that whether it had merit or not.

If you are a cricket fan, though, there has to be part of you that finds the idea of Warne riding in on his white horse for one last hurrah with his team with their backs to the wall as a fantastic idea.

Dear Santa,

What I want for Christmas this year .......

It would be the most astonishingly retrograde step. It wont make up for the fragility of the other bowlers, or the batting, and all it would do would tarnish his reputation. Not to mention the message it would send to every other spinner in Australia.

Cricket is about more than 1 series - if Oz get hammered in this one, they'll bounce back eventually. Sometimes you have the players, sometimes you don't.

TrueDub wrote: »
    Cricket is about more than 1 series - if Oz get hammered in this one, they'll bounce back eventually. Sometimes you have the players, sometimes you don't.
    As far as the Aussie team is concerned and as long as the series is alive, it currently goes as far as the Ashes and no further.
    They are not doing this for development of players. It is a launch pad for what follows.
    If they win, there'll be some changes.
    If they lose, there'll be sea changes from management, captaincy then right down to the last man in the squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

As far as the Aussie team is concerned and as long as the series is alive, it currently goes as far as the Ashes and no further.
    They are not doing this for development of players. It is a launch pad for what follows.
    If they win, there'll be some changes.
    If they lose, there'll be sea changes from management, captaincy then right down to the last man in the squad.

I understand and appreciate all that. My point is that taking an enormous leap backward like begging Warne to come out of retirement will, at the absolute best, be nothing more than a plaster on a gaping wound. It solves none of the core issues of the team.

He was a magnificent player, but I don't think he could turn the Aussie team around all by himself, and ultimately recalling him could do more harm than good.

I understand and appreciate all that. My point is that taking an enormous leap backward like begging Warne to come out of retirement will, at the absolute best, be nothing more than a plaster on a gaping wound. It solves none of the core issues of the team.

He was a magnificent player, but I don't think he could turn the Aussie team around all by himself, and ultimately recalling him could do more harm than good.
    Its only media fluff though. I can't see the likes of Punter or Tim Nielsen wanting anything of a kind to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Even as an England fan, I'd LOVE to see Warney out there and I'm sure he'd still be the most potent threat at Ponting's disposal.

It'll never happen of course.

Its only media fluff though. I can't see the likes of Punter or Tim Nielsen wanting anything of a kind to happen.

Agreed - it's more the press that's panicking.

Mind you, my comment above about "it's only 1 series" does not apply to the press of either side! :D

Can the Aussies cope with 1100/6 for much longer to not have him sew an end up at least?

In this series, Australia need players for the now, when if they go on to lose the series, it'll always be nagging away..what if

Jesus lads where is your imagination. A retrograde step? Give me a break.

It would be for 3 tests and no more. Even at that we all know it's never going to happen. All I said was that it fires the imagination. It would certainly light a fire under a series that, while no doubt satisfying for England fans, is heading towards being hideously lopsided and uncompetitive.

Of course it's not going to happen. No one is suggesting even if it did that it would cover up Australias long term concerns.

But sure lets all sit around stroking our chins, cluck our tongues and talk about backward steps and be pragmatic about something we know will never happen.

• Advertisement

You're right, it's debatable whether it should or not. That's what we're doing - debating.
    But sure lets all sit around stroking our chins, cluck our tongues and talk about backward steps and be pragmatic about something we know will never happen.

What's wrong with being pragmatic about something that will never happen? It's called living in the real world.

I am thinking they will pick Smith as the spinner over Hauritz, which would be, as someone else already pointed out, a travesty. Any other country would be happy to have a spinner/No8 like him and it's not as if Australia have an embarrassment of riches in that dept right now.

I am now officially Hauritz's no1 super fan.

The pragmatic argument would be ok, if Australia were currently working towards something or someone or some cohesive plan...but it's a scattergun at the minute and they're not. Would the re-selection of Doherty be any less crazy?

Australia at the minute are as backward as they can get, there's not many more steps backwards to go

A superb article on the UDRS.......

http://blogs.espncricinfo.com/diffstrokes/archives/2010/12/the_use_and_abuse_of_the_udrs.php

Unless the ICC make it mandatory in all test matches can't see it being effective in the long term......while it's in use in the Ashes next weeks series against the 2 best teams in the world will not see it being used!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The Wags in Australian were talking about appointing him as Australia coach to stop him revealing any more goings on in the Australian team camp.

Lads lads lads can we get some perspective. Shane Warne, the greatest spin bowler of all time is 41 years old, hasn't played a test in 4 years or a first class game since Sept 07. The only cricket Warnie plays is the IPL. Lets face it bowling 4 overs a game for 3 weeks once a year in T20 cricket is hardly good preparation for the biggest series in test cricket is it? I doubt Warne has bowled a ball since April.

Anyone who thinks Shane Warne can rock up to the MCG and roll England out is crazy. Spin bowling may not be as tiring as fast bowling but I guarantee you after a 6 over spell he'd be knackered and his shoulder and wrist pretty sore.

He won't come back and if he did the English would smash him around. It has to be Hauritz for Perth!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lads lads lads can we get some perspective. Shane Warne, the greatest spin bowler of all time is 41 years old, hasn't played a test in 4 years or a first class game since Sept 07. The only cricket Warnie plays is the IPL. Lets face it bowling 4 overs a game for 3 weeks once a year in T20 cricket is hardly good preparation for the biggest series in test cricket is it? I doubt Warne has bowled a ball since April.

Anyone who thinks Shane Warne can rock up to the MCG and roll England out is crazy. Spin bowling may not be as tiring as fast bowling but I guarantee you after a 6 over spell he'd be knackered and his shoulder and wrist pretty sore.

He won't come back and if he did the English would smash him around. It has to be Hauritz for Perth!!!!

Anyone who thinks Hauritz or Doherty are better than a 41yo Warne playing 3 weeks a year is crazy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

DHussey in for North.

That would be a great move by the selectors, he is a very solid player and would immediately bring stability to the side...

If I was the Aussies, I'd run with:

Watson
    Hughes
    Ponting
    Clarke
    MHussey
    DHussey
    Haddin
    Hauritz
    Harris
    Siddle
    Copeland

Perhaps Hilfy instead of Copeland, but I reckon he deserves a shot.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Hauritz or Doherty are better than a 41yo Warne playing 3 weeks a year is crazy! ;)

No bigger fan of Shane Warne then me but the fact is he's retired. There is no chance of him returning nor should he. The last thing I'd want to see happen is Warnes legacy ruined by playing 3 tests and taking 6 at a average of 95. Warne at the top of his game would struggle to turn around a very very average Australian side.

Hauritz strengthens his case for selection... not with a five for but with a century for NSW....146 n.o....highest ever by a night watchman in Shield cricket

• Advertisement

If I was the Aussies, I'd run with:

Watson
    Hughes
    Ponting
    Clarke
    MHussey
    DHussey
    Haddin
    Hauritz
    Harris
    Siddle
    Copeland

Perhaps Hilfy instead of Copeland, but I reckon he deserves a shot.

Same as above except Ferguson in for D Hussey and Johnson in for Copeland....if there's one pitch in Australia Johnson's going to effective on surely it has to be at the WACA

Got this on Twitter today:

"K Pietersen c Police b Warne 121"

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

booth70 wrote: »
    Same as above except Ferguson in for D Hussey and Johnson in for Copeland....if there's one pitch in Australia Johnson's going to effective on surely it has to be at the WACA

Ferguson's form has been poor recently, and I think its a shame that Hussey has never been given a shot despite his superb first class record.

Cameron White is someone they should consider but they won't for silly reasons.
    He has averaged 50 + in his last 4 years playing first class cricket. He's a smart captain who they should really be considering for the future. I know they love Clarke but its madness to dismiss White though.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Ferguson's form has been poor recently, and I think its a shame that Hussey has never been given a shot despite his superb first class record.

Cameron White is someone they should consider but they won't for silly reasons.
    He has averaged 50 + in his last 4 years playing first class cricket. He's a smart captain who they should really be considering for the future. I know they love Clarke but its madness to dismiss White though.

White , like Micheal Bevan all those years ago , seems to have been branded a ODI/T20 player only by the powers to be that run Australian cricket but I agree...he is a good player who deserves a chance to play at the highest level

Another early start and I am incredulous.

Hauritz with his 18 months as frontline spinner gets dropped. He then responds with 7 at the WACA. Followed by 3 in the final innings of his next game. Throw in 200+ runs in those 2 first class games.

That's not a good enough response though. They would rather have another novice.

This is the pig headed ignorance I have been talking about with the Aussie selectors. They cannot accept they are wrong in some cases.

I'm an Aussie fan but I really hope this particular brand of ignorance bites them in the arse.

They are so stubborn they are ridiculous. 1-0 and backs against the wall in an Ashes home series. THey have tried an untested spinner and got burned. So whats the plan? Try another one? Ridiculous Hilditch. You're a muppet

I hope Beer doesn't bottle it.

I'll get my coat ...

Unbelievable!!! I thought after the Doherty pick the Australian selectors couldn't get any worse, so what do they do pick an even poorer spinner :eek::eek: Smith is gonna have to bat at 7:eek: Hauritz must have slept with a selectors wife, he's no Murali or Warne but he is still Australia's best slow bowler. Another squad that baffles me!!!

I'm puzzled too - Hauritz isn't a world-beater but he's a good performer who has performed at the highest level and is a good run of form.

English-style selection from the Aussie selectors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Warney mentioned this the other day.

As he put it, "Horses for Courses".
    Beer will know the WACA wicket.
    Seeing as Aussie aren't have so much with the slow bowlers these days, maybe their thinking is he will most likely get something out of the wicket.

A plan which I expect will fall flat on it face.
    But what can you do when your only Test class bowler is in the worst form of his career?

I'm puzzled too - Hauritz isn't a world-beater but he's a good performer who has performed at the highest level and is a good run of form.

English-style selection from the Aussie selectors...
    I don't think its "English-style" quite yet but there are obviously issues on the selection panel (of which not one is a former bowler). I don't understand this insistance on leaving Hauritz out.

Smith is a positive selection and I would have had him in there for series start myself. He's a class bat.
    Hughes was a no-brainer as replacement for Katich.
    Had a feeling Johnson would be back.
    They couldn't have picked North again.
    Doherty was a mistake. Feel for the guy though. He did his best regardless of being a bad call.

My other batting option would have been calling Paine in again but as batsman and not keeper.
    The Ashes is not a time for bringing in 'cold' players such as Beer. If he's to be their spinner, then he needs support from another so this might mean Smith is a definite pick.
    I've always been keen on picking five bowlers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement