Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashes 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

mike65 wrote: »
    Why is this on SKY overnight??????????????! :mad:

Because they have the exclusive contract. Where did you expect it to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well dur! I'm just expressing my annoyance in comic book fashion - bloody Pay tv and on the wrong side of the planet. Though smashing the Aussies in their own grounds does have added value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Well dur! I'm just expressing my annoyance in comic book fashion - bloody Pay tv and on the wrong side of the planet. Though smashing the Aussies in their own grounds does have added value.

Oh, right, I thought it was a genuine question.

I agree, it's ridiculous playing a series in Australia in the middle of the night, do they not realise we can't be staying up until all hours watching? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

TrueDub wrote: »
    Oh, right, I thought it was a genuine question.

I agree, it's ridiculous playing a series in Australia in the middle of the night, do they not realise we can't be staying up until all hours watching? :D

Well we can - though it makes working that day a bit tough. Still, sleep in the office all day and watch the Australians crumble all night; it's not a bad life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

See Mitchell shootin his mouth off again.#
    You would think that someone who has basically been a joke all his Ashes career would shut up til he gets a wicket at least.
    Whats the deal w Haddin and Jimmy-just usual stuff or any particular incident?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well well well..

There's 4 of them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

harpsman wrote: »
    See Mitchell shootin his mouth off again.#
    You would think that someone who has basically been a joke all his Ashes career would shut up til he gets a wicket at least.
    Whats the deal w Haddin and Jimmy-just usual stuff or any particular incident?

Bit thin skinned for some chat? Its a part of the game and England have as big an history for sledging as anyone else. Anderson is just crap at it. Just comes out as one big moan.

Well bowled Mitch Johnson. Well bowled all four of the quickies actually. Good aggressive fast bowling and persisted with it all through the day.

I've had a night of 'one more over' and am now back at the office.
    Absolutely wrecked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

:D

Mitch is back I see.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Great bowling by Johnson, and abject failure by Englands middle order. Might just give England a bit of a wake up call, think they had delusions of wrapping up the series here.

To stand any chance of any kind of positive result here England need to bowl out Australia by lunch, (not going to happen I dont think!). History says England dont fare well at Perth and so its being proved.

So if Australia win this, its great for the series, wide open with 2 to play. A close series would be good for the Ashes, not so much for my blood pressure.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Bit thin skinned for some chat? Its a part of the game and England have as big an history for sledging as anyone else. Anderson is just crap at it. Just comes out as one big moan.

Well bowled Mitch Johnson. Well bowled all four of the quickies actually. Good aggressive fast bowling and persisted with it all through the day.

I've had a night of 'one more over' and am now back at the office.
    Absolutely wrecked!
    Na,love a bit of banter actually.just that johnson seems to be a bit of a prick. maybe he'd have a better chance of fulfillin his obvious talent if he gave his mouth a rest for a while.
    The only whinging i saw was from ponting-whats new-on way off at gabba? i think

• Advertisement

Whatever about mouthing.

Mitch's bowling was awesome.
    Vicious swing.

Very tired now, but Botham's silence on his next commentary stint after Johnson getting his first 4 wickets was great...and Atherton's facial expressions at lunch :)

Strauss looked very dodgy for his 52, he never really looked set. Hilfenhaus bowled very well for no reward. I was initially certain that the ball for Collingwood would go over the top, but then he does sit on the stumps.

Hopefully an Aussie win will keep the series a contest before England run riot again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

great to see a bit of fight from the Aussies at last!

wont mention the batting failures again, have my doubts about winning this test match as of yet but in a great position to push on and strike a blow

Siddle just gone.

As a slight aside, nobody anywhere seems to have noticed that Mitch Johnson although left-handed as a bowler, was signing autographs with his right hand yesterday. I found it interesting. Ambidexterity to that degree is quite rare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

As a slight aside, nobody anywhere seems to have noticed that Mitch Johnson although left-handed as a bowler, was signing autographs with his right hand yesterday. I found it interesting. Ambidexterity to that degree is quite rare

Wasim Akram was the same.....ambidextrous that is

England 3/59....

Simply can't believe this is more or less the same Australian side of the first 2 tests....didn't think they had it in them....so fair play to the Aussies for coming back.....sets up a fascinating finish to the series at the MCG and SCG

5 down for sweet eff all. Collingwood slipped off last ball of day.
    Well done Aussie. A proud comeback.
    Groundsmen at MCG and SCG now know which kind of pitches to prepare.
    Aussie spin option still unproven.

Ian Bell to stand for two days and force a heroic draw! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Ian Bell to stand for two days and force a heroic draw! ;)
    He'll be standing on his own after a session though ;)

• Advertisement

Siddle just gone.

Not really.
    Lots of people throw with one arm,write with the other.
    Just look at the amount of cricketers who bowl and bat with different arms.

Mothman wrote: »
    He'll be standing on his own after a session though ;)

That's where the masterplan falls down I admit.

Not really.
    Lots of people throw with one arm,write with the other
    I don't think so. Throwing arm is usually the same as writing hand. Its not like kicking a ball.
    Just look at the amount of cricketers who bowl and bat with different arms.
    Thats different. A two-handed action.
    I played field hockey (right-handed game) yet bat left-handed in cricket.

doesnt prove anythig-i throw w left,write w right.
    but ill look up whether throwing and writing are normally done w same hnd. didnt think so but if it is fair enough

Siddle just gone.

In reference to this post I feel that I must point out that Sachin can indeed bowl with both hands and can bowl both off spin and leg spin passibly. This is important.

Just watching the highlights now.

Get off the Pitch Watson you cocky little prick.
    My goat has been well got.

Picked this up on Cricinfo commentary...... anyone notice Jimmy Anderson turning down a chance of a single of the 5th ball of the last over leaving Colly to face the last ball to which he got out.....defeats the purpose of being sent in as night watchman!!

Colly will be playing for his career come the MCG.....he's made about 90 runs in his last 9 innings...Englands recent success has meant he's stayed under the radar but not anymore

• Advertisement

booth70 wrote: »
    England 3/59....

Simply can't believe this is more or less the same Australian side of the first 2 tests....didn't think they had it in them....so fair play to the Aussies for coming back.....sets up a fascinating finish to the series at the MCG and SCG

Almost changing half the team from the last test though and a wicket with some help to the bowlers..

dfx- wrote: »
    Almost changing half the team from the last test though and a wicket with some help to the bowlers..
    England also bowling on the same track. Aussie just did it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Has anybody been watching "An Aussie Goes Barmy" on ESPN Classic. It is the following the Barmy Army on the Ashes Tour 2006/07. Well worth a watch...

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Has anybody been watching "An Aussie Goes Barmy" on ESPN Classic. It is the following the Barmy Army on the Ashes Tour 2006/07. Well worth a watch...

Saw it when it came out. Was good show.
    All I can say is that guy had the patience of Job.
    They do my head in.

England also bowling on the same track. Aussie just did it better

I don't doubt that, but it is very different circumstances to the previous two tests.

Also, you could say that on flat tracks, Australian bowlers don't cut it. With a track offering something, they're a different proposition. I'd say England won't mind being asked to have a bowl on similar tracks of they appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

1-1 , Ponting really needs to hit batting form in the next Test even with a fractured finger. Still not sure about Hughes as a Test player just yet, he hasnt exactly proven his selection in this test.

There is a dilemma of sorts for the final two tests now. Regardless of how quick or seamer-friendly the respective ground staff make the tracks, the final four or five sessions will provide big help to spin.

Do selectors stick with the same team thus piling on the pressure on Steve Smith to be the frontline spinner?
    Or do they drop one of the seamers who performed so well and have their tails up? If so, who to drop? Siddle is a dead cert for the Boxing Day test. Its his home ground and his aggression is needed. The pace of Johnson and Harris is required. Hilfenhaus was threatening every spell and was tight as.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Same 12 picked for the MCG. Not too shocking in itself. However, Beer's continued selection ahead of Hauritz is baffling all the moreso since Haurtiz just chalked up another century posting 110* last night. He managed to nip out one of the openers in the Queenslad reply too.

Ponting was asked about Beer's selection he said he was selected for the WACA because of his excellent (non existent) knowledge of the WACA conditions and he's been picked for the MCG because he's the best spinner in the country :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think Australias prime concern is their batting rather than bowling. If Johnson and Harris fire they are genuine wicket takers. Hilfenhaus has bowled well without much reward all series. Siddle, for me, is the weak link.

But with the bat Hughes, Ponting, Clarke and Smith are all serious concerns. that's #2,#3,#4 and #6 that are a big concern. It should be very interesting to say the least. England are still in the box seat. They know they have two bites of the cherry to retain the Ashes.

crackit wrote: »
    Same 12 picked for the MCG. Not too shocking in itself. However, Beer's continued selection ahead of Hauritz is baffling all the moreso since Haurtiz just chalked up another century posting 110* last night. He managed to nip out one of the openers in the Queenslad reply too

Ponting was asked about Beer's selection he said he was selected for the WACA because of his excellent (non existent) knowledge of the WACA conditions and he's been picked for the MCG because he's the best spinner in the country :rolleyes:
    I know the Hauritz omission is baffling etc but the only plus that people keep throwing out there for the selectors to take notice of is that he is getting runs in the domestic comps. Is he getting bagloads of wickets?
    Anyway, I think Australias prime concern is their batting rather than bowling. If Johnson and Harris fire they are genuine wicket takers. Hilfenhaus has bowled well without much reward all series. Siddle, for me, is the weak link
    Siddle especially at home in Melbourne will be a vital bowler.
    But with the bat Hughes, Ponting, Clarke and Smith are all serious concerns. that's #2,#3,#4 and #6 that are a big concern. It should be very interesting to say the least. England are still in the box seat. They know they have two bites of the cherry to retain the Ashes.
    England's confidence will definitely have taken a knock down and rightly so. Their batsmen capitulated and this will be at the back of their minds during the Boxing Day and Sydney tests. This is what Aussie will be honing in on. If Melbourne goes their way, sit back and watch the English media turn on their national team as per norm.

Since getting dropped he's got a 5 for bowling in the final innings of the match to take his team to victory and got MotM.
    He followed that up in the next match with a century and then 3 wickets in the final innings to take his team to victory and got MotM.
    He's now followed that up with another centruy and whatever else he can do in this match in what looks likely to be another victory in no small part due to him taking his side from 270/6 when he came in up to 460/9 declared.

He's tied for 7th on the wicket takers list and is the top spinner in Sheffield Shield cricket at the minute ahead of both Doherty and Beer. Throw in the 18 months of solid performances at test match level that he has and he's clearly the #1 spin option. And yes I know the batting obviously isn't the major thing with him but it can't hurt to score back to back hundreds while taking wickets at the same time surely?

Having 2 poor games in India doesn't justify ending a players international career. Stuart MacGill was interviewed and said he thinks Hauritz omission at the expense of Doherty and Beer, and despite his excellent shield form, is a signal from the selectors that his international test career is over.

If they want to go with 4 quicks by all means do. If they want to use Smith and Clarke as their spin option rather than a frontliner then by all means do. Just can this bullsh*t about Doherty being the best available and Beer being the best available. It's just completely untrue. The selectors and Ponting can repeat the mantra all they like it's still not going to make it true.

They got the knives out for Haurtiz for whatever reason and are willing to pick no hopers with no form and no proven track record ahead of him. They got shown up with Doherty and I've no doubt they will get shown up with Beer.

As for what you said about them getting stuck into England. I'm sure that's the plan. England are there for the taking now. It doesn't change the fact that 4 of the top 6 aren't firing. If they can get runs from even 2 of those 4 then I think they will be in business. However, there's not been much sign of big runs from any of those in question.

Actually let me frame it another way for you so we can take Hauritz and perceptions about him and attitudes towards him out of the picture.

Hauritz gets dropped and replaced by Doherty who does nothing for the first 2 tests then Beer who doesn't play the 3rd test.

Meanwhile back in domestic cricket....

Unheralded spinner Justin Dee takes 5 wickets in the final innings (and 7 in the match) to bowl his state to victory in a Shield match. Mystery spinner Dee also collects the Man of the Match Award.

Hot on the heels of his impressive performance Justin Dee then blasts a maiden first class century posting 146 as a nightwatchman (a Sheffield Shield record) before nipping out 3 wickets in the final innings to lead his side to yet another victory. Once again Dee, who is in superb all round form, picks up the Man of the Match award.

Following in from that Justin Dee comes out all guns blazing, with his side tottering at 270/6 and smashes an unbeaten 110 to help his side declare their innings on an imposing 480/9. Dee then goes out and bowls 13 economical overs before nipping out the oposition opener to put his side in an excellent position to make it 3 wins on the bounce.

With 2 vital Ashes Tests just around the corner, despite and admittedly slow start to the season, Justin Dee lies j7th in Shield bowling with 15 wickets @ 25.8 and an excellent batting performance of 332 runs @ 47.42

In this scenario the Australian selectors are absolutely creaming themselves over this spinner who is taking regular wickets (and regular final innings wickets) as well as showing he's no mug with the bat. They would be frothing at the mouth over someone in such good form and would have him in the squad in a flash. Doherty and Beer wouldn't garner a second thought. The selectors would be absolutely delerious about this 28 year old spinner who has a bright future in international cricket. I have no doubt about that.

However, it isn't the unheralded Justin Dee doing all these things. It's the axed Nathan Hauritz. And because it's a selection issue that they've gotten wrong they are totally unwilling to backtrack. Instead they would rather ignore all form (both recent and over his international career). It's a real shame for the lad.

So he hasn't been getting bagloads then.
    Ok doke.

Look, I don't know why he got the arse and neither do you or anyone else outside the box.
    Its all very Lote Tuquiri.
    Even the apparently outraged Hauritz has kept schtum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

There is a dilemma of sorts for the final two tests now. Regardless of how quick or seamer-friendly the respective ground staff make the tracks, the final four or five sessions will provide big help to spin.

Do selectors stick with the same team thus piling on the pressure on Steve Smith to be the frontline spinner?
    Or do they drop one of the seamers who performed so well and have their tails up? If so, who to drop? Siddle is a dead cert for the Boxing Day test. Its his home ground and his aggression is needed. The pace of Johnson and Harris is required. Hilfenhaus was threatening every spell and was tight as.

Smith will get smashed if he is the frontline spinner, he's not good enough really. He's also a rubbish number 6 as well. :pac:
    His inclusion is quite baffling and pointless. :confused:

Phil Hughes been retained is hilarious as well. :o

Smith will be a good player given time, i have every faith in that, he is actually pretty handy with the bat if you look at his career to this point and could go on to be a very good all rounder with hard work and luck

People shouldnt be so quick to dismiss young talent

The world and its mother know Hauritz should be the spin option in this squad but for whatever reason he isnt in the squad, this is a mystery, I figure Hauritz is keeping quiet cause he still wants to play for his country and he has no chance for sure if he bad mouths the selectors publicly but this has got to be tearing him up inside.

Im sure the WC is on his mind and he has wrote the Ashes off as a loss unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

kryogen wrote: »
    Smith will be a good player given time, i have every faith in that, he is actually pretty handy with the bat if you look at his career to this point and could go on to be a very good all rounder with hard work and luck

People shouldnt be so quick to dismiss young talent

The world and its mother know Hauritz should be the spin option in this squad but for whatever reason he isnt in the squad, this is a mystery, I figure Hauritz is keeping quiet cause he still wants to play for his country and he has no chance for sure if he bad mouths the selectors publicly but this has got to be tearing him up inside.

Im sure the WC is on his mind and he has wrote the Ashes off as a loss unfortunately

Aye I remember that knock against Pakistan when he smashed 77 against a bloody good attack, it was good indeed. I just thought he was horrible in the last Test really and right now I don't think he is good enough to bat at number 6. He will be some day but like Raina with India its all about the moment and neither of them should be where they are in the team.

I think Hauritz is finished as an international player sadly, their was rumors he feel out with Ponting in India.

Doherty bowled well against Sri Lanka in his ODI debut so he will probably have the containing tole when the World Cup comes around. O' Keefe is probably the most likely to unsurp him not Hauritz sadly.

• Advertisement

I would agree that it doesnt look good at all for his international future. Really is a shame

Another 5 wickets in the match and another Man of the Match award.

The more I think about it the more I would really love to know whats actually happened, Hauritz has been in and out of the team before, but when performing to a good level as he is right now, to be totally black listed is unbelievable considering this is the Ashes we are talking about

Shane Warne has also come out in support of Hauritz

taken from skysports.com
    Shane Warne has called for spinner Nathan Hauritz to be recalled for the final two Tests of the Ashes series.

Hauritz has found himself in the international wilderness, with Xavier Doherty, Michael Beer and Stephen Smith all being included in Australia's squads so far.

Xavier Doherty played in the opening two Tests of the series but he was axed after failing to impress, with Smith providing the spinning options in Perth.

The uncapped Beer, though, was a surprise inclusion in the 12-man squad for the WACA - with Hauritz once again overlooked.

However Warne has insisted that Hauritz should be handed his chance in Melbourne and Sydney.

"I think Beer was a horses for courses selection (in Perth)," Warne wrote in a blog for the Australian Daily Telegraph.

"What has impressed me about Hauritz, he's gone back and taken wickets and made runs.

"As I said before the Test series, I think Hauritz deserves first chance and if he didn't work out, try the next in line.
    Chance

"So I think it still stands that Hauritz deserves a chance for Melbourne and Sydney."

Hauritz has taken 19 wickets at 26.78 in six Sheffield Shield games this season for the NSW Blues, while he has also recorded two centuries.

And Warne believes Australia need to include a specialist spinner at the MCG despite going for pace in the victory in Perth.

"Historically, (the) Melbourne Test match has always needed a spinner, as you don't always pick a team for the first innings," he explained.

"It's hard to change a winning team but I think a spinner will play.

"The only reason a spinner won't play is if Australia want to go with five seamers, including [Shane] Watson, and bowl lots of chin music at our beloved, friendly Poms.

"Remember we have Watson to bowl quick as well when conditions suit, so if we play four quicks and Watson we have five seamers."

There is also word that Katich may be fit for the final test which would be a good thing, and on the lighter side, Siddle has hit back at Prior complaining about sledging. Prior was whinging about it in some article

kryogen wrote: »
    There is also word that Katich may be fit for the final test which would be a good thing, and on the lighter side, Siddle has hit back at Prior complaining about sledging. Prior was whinging about it in some article

Link for the "whinging"?

This was Priors quote after dismissal: "There are not many boxing matches when a guy knocks someone out and then kicks him when him while he's on the floor"

He has changed his views on sledging since the India series a couple of years ago when England were made to look like mugs with jelly beans etc.

Did I say Prior said the word whinging? I was fairly sure that was a personal observation by me, I can of course quote myself if you want?

Prior likened sledging to a boxer kicking an opponent when he is down, to me thats having a whinge. Certain English players are well able to give and take without whinging about it. Prior obviously isnt, seems he can only give and not take.

Er, ok, so I was looking for a quote of the whinging, found the quote of the whinging and edited my post to put it on my post about the whinging also explained why Prior felt the urge to whinge, and the series in which he became "enlightened". By all means if you want to quote yourself work away.

Yup, but id posted my reply before i saw your edit....so.....meh!

• Advertisement

Concern from England camp about Andersons fitness, official line "some stiffness in his side, but is available for selection on sunday". Talk that Brigadier Block might get dropped for another bowler.

Now, from the BBC cricket blog website some reasons for England fans to be cheerful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2010/12/reasons_to_be_cheerful.html

Have watched England enough to believe otherwise, as suggested by "The Audience", A pessimist is never disappointed.

Advertisement