Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polaroid

• 24-07-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi peeps!

I'm looking to buy a polaroid camera but not really sure what to look for.

Should I go for the 600 or a newer style?
    A friend has the 600 and I love the pictures from it but am aware they have discontinued the film.

Should I just buy the 600 or are the newer ones just as nice?

Anyone buy any from ebay? I'll probably buy from there unless otherwise advised.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I have a friend that has a good few of them, brand new and unused. They are one600. I'll see how much he wants for one if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Don't bother with a 600 or spectra. The film has been discontinued, and expired film will set you back 40 euros or more for a pack of 10 on ebay. There is a company, the aptly named impossible project that set out to recreate the film, but their efforts so far have been a miserable failure.
    If you're dead set on instant look into fuji Instax instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Steve Reddin

Don't bother with a 600 or spectra. The film has been discontinued, and expired film will set you back 40 euros or more for a pack of 10 on ebay. There is a company, the aptly named impossible project that set out to recreate the film, but their efforts so far have been a miserable failure.

I have to agree, it's one of the issues with Polaroid's older cameras, as they are mainly a consumer targeted company they pull the production of film that's not selling in droves. I'd love to get a Polaroid back for my Bronica but they stopped producing the film for this as well. The last thing you want to do is get a camera you can't use.

On a side note, has anyone used the Polaroid Pogo? It looks like a fun thing to have and is fairly cheap too.

Steve

I have to agree, it's one of the issues with Polaroid's older cameras, as they are mainly a consumer targeted company they pull the production of film that's not selling in droves. I'd love to get a Polaroid back for my Bronica but they stopped producing the film for this as well. The last thing you want to do is get a camera you can't use.

Actually any pola back that I'm aware of for the bronica (mine included) takes type 100. Any of the fuji peel apart films are compatible. I'm just finishing up a pack of fuji 3000b in my back ATM. There might be a type 80 back for the bronica which would be icompatible with the fuji type 100 films but if there is I've never heard of it.
    The real drawback of course is that you still only use a fraction of the film depending on which bronnie you hve. IE I'm shooting with an sq so I get 6x6 cm.

Here's the most recent I've shot on the 3000b. This is the 6x6 crop from the full frame.

4765996592_8beb53becb.jpg

Here's an example of what the full frame looks like (this is fuji 100c)

4234117089_2d0a84096b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Steve Reddin

Actually any pola back that I'm aware of for the bronica (mine included) takes type 100. Any of the fuji peel apart films are compatible. I'm just finishing up a pack of fuji 3000b in my back ATM. There might be a type 80 back for the bronica which would be icompatible with the fuji type 100 films but if there is I've never heard of it.
    The real drawback of course is that you still only use a fraction of the film depending on which bronnie you hve. IE I'm shooting with an sq so I get 6x6 cm.

I must look into that, I didn't realise there was compatible film, tbh I never looked in great detail after Polaroid stopped making it.

I'd not be fussed on the amount of film used, I'd only want it to see the image before I use my film up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's pretty pricey for the film. The one he gave me has a full pack in it but I don't think the battery has enough power in it to take a shot. He managed to get the cameras and about 100 packs of film for free where he worked. He's down to just two packs of film left.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Regina Phalange

Cheers folks, so its not really recommended so?

I might have a look into the Fuji Instax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have two 600s that I haven't taken a shot with in years. Go with the Fuji..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

are there any alternatives to the fuji instax? I've been looking to buy a poloroid type camera. Im looking for something that will give me a polaroidy look...? Make sense? Ive seen some of the instax pictures but they're a little clean for me.

Is there any other suggestions... something maybe older but with film still available for it... at a reasonable price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

101001 wrote: »
    Is there any other suggestions... something maybe older but with film still available for it... at a reasonable price

I can't find that, but here's a holy grail i've got here, that was easy to track down...

If only :( The reason people are paying through the nose for expired polaroid film and the new decidedly 'quirky' impossible film is because there's no easy, cheap alternative. I have a polaroid 440 which also takes the new fuji peel apart stuff, but as you said it's still quite 'clean', it's and it's kind of clunky to use, also nearly as expensive as all the other options too.

If you want to get your hands dirty and don't mind a bit of diy though.... ;)

http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2009/09/hot-on-heelsthe-banner-instax.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah god dammit! Now I want one of those..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have a polaroid pogo, and I bought it straight after they came out so I was ROBBED BLIND, I've only really used it to put momento books together, it's poor quality (or maybe that's my photos).

I have the instant back for the Diana F+, that's a really lovely lovely thing :)
    Here's some test photos I took with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Been thinking of getting one of the Pogos, for when traveling and I want to take a picture of a person or a persons shop. So, I can leave them with at least a copy of the photo.
    Would love it if you could post a scan of one of the prints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

elven wrote: »

If you want to get your hands dirty and don't mind a bit of diy though.... ;)

http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2009/09/hot-on-heelsthe-banner-instax.html

That is just about crazy enough for me to try... Cheers for that very interesting
    Silverfish wrote: »
    I have a polaroid pogo, and I bought it straight after they came out so I was ROBBED BLIND.

NIce one... what is getting film for it like? I assume you cropped the images that are at that link? Or does it not have one of those tasty white borders?

101001 wrote: »

NIce one... what is getting film for it like? I assume you cropped the images that are at that link? Or does it not have one of those tasty white borders?

Film is easy to get, it takes the Fuji instax mini film, which is pricey enough but kinda worth it when you hear the 'Squidge...whirrrrr....' noise and you have your photo there and then. It does have the white border, I think you can see it in some of the shots there if you squint, my crappy scanner doesn't always pick them up.
    Been thinking of getting one of the Pogos, for when traveling and I want to take a picture of a person or a persons shop. So, I can leave them with at least a copy of the photo.
    Would love it if you could post a scan of one of the prints.
    I'll get some scans of the Pogo shots and stick them up with the original photo for comparison.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Film is easy to get, it takes the Fuji instax mini film, which is pricey enough but kinda worth it when you hear the 'Squidge...whirrrrr....' noise and you have your photo there and then.

Unless I'm not following the thread correctly here, the pogo printer doesn't take instax film. It takes some polaroid specific 'pogo' paper. If you want a pogo you can buy them for next to nothing on amazon. I wouldn't say they'll last particularly long product wise though, and once the paper isn't made any more they're useless.

Just to muddy the waters here, there is a new polaroid camera with readily available film, but it's just a rebranded (and inexplicably more expensive) fuji instax mini. The film is compatible as well.

Unless I'm not following the thread correctly here, the pogo printer doesn't take instax film. It takes some polaroid specific 'pogo' paper. If you want a pogo you can buy them for next to nothing on amazon. I wouldn't say they'll last particularly long product wise though, and once the paper isn't made any more they're useless.

Just to muddy the waters here, there is a new polaroid camera with readily available film, but it's just a rebranded (and inexplicably more expensive) fuji instax mini. The film is compatible as well.

No, I was talking about the Diana F+ with the instant back there.

EDIT: oh sorry yes, I see where the confusion is. The link I posted was to some Diana F+ test shots, not a Pogo.

Advertisement