Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck lockring on rear cassette.

• 24-07-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to remove my rear cassette on my mountain bike but it is right stuck.

I've tried myself and gotten an extra pain of hands to get some extra force on it. I'm going to get some WD40 next to see if it will make help any.

If all else fails I heard you can dremmel it off if necessary. Is this difficult to do or would you say to let the LBS do it. If it's not too hard how would I go about this?

I have a new cassette to go on so I'm not worried about damaging it.

Cheers,

Wayne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

IS the tool slipping off or is it just genuinely stuck? have you tried putting a lever on the end of the wrench or something for more leverage. You are turning it the right way i presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

abcdggs wrote: »
    IS the tool slipping off or is it just genuinely stuck? have you tried putting a lever on the end of the wrench or something for more leverage. You are turning it the right way i presume.

The tools are indeed staying in place. I should be turning it the right way, I'm going to feel pretty stupid if I'm not :).

So looking at the cassette (from the cassette side of the wheel), clockwise is the drive direction (cassette won't rotate that way independently from the wheel) and anti-clockwise is the freewheel direction. I'm using the chain whip to hold the cassette and stop it from turning in the freewheel direction and trying to turn the lockring tool in the anti-clockwise direction. The lockring itself has an arrow pointing in the other direction from which I'm trying to turn the lockring tool anyway which says "lock" so this should be right.

I've done my best to get it to move, I also got another guy to push on the chain whip tool so I could use all my force on the lock ring tool but no go. Tried some impact with a mallet but no luck either.

The bike was one I got about 3 years ago from Halfords, they must have really overtightened it. I'm not sure but isn't the underside of the lockring knurled to ensure it doesn't come off?

Sounds like you're doing everything right, i'd suggest trying to get a pole or something to effectively lengthen the spanner. In most cases this should sort you out. if that doesnt work bring it down to your lbs. dremmeling it off sounds unnecessary

abcdggs wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing everything right, i'd suggest trying to get a pole or something to effectively lengthen the spanner. In most cases this should sort you out. if that doesnt work bring it down to your lbs. dremmeling it off sounds unnecessary

I'd say I'll probably have to drop it in, I couldn't find anything to lengthen it earlier. Might ask the neighbours.

Just out of interest, what causes them to get so tight? Does this happen through normal use? or is it just who ever put it on originally in the factory or halfords used too much torque? I heard of some people using locktite.

Not sure, possibly put on very tight. it's designed to tighten when the cassette is turned . ie when you pedal the cassette may rub against the lockring and so tighten it. it could just be age or a lack of grease on initial installation

• Advertisement

Grand stuff, thanks a million for the help with this! Hopefully the other jobs I have to do on the bike wont be this much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I'd say I'll probably have to drop it in, I couldn't find anything to lengthen it earlier. Might ask the neighbours.
    I've had success with a seatpost in the past, presume you have one of them :)

blorg wrote: »
    I've had success with a seatpost in the past, presume you have one of them :)

Never even thought of using it :) heading for the shed now to give it a go.

Edit: The seat tube fitted but alas it didn't make any difference, I found an old iron pipe with large enough of a diameter to fit around the lockring tool but it wouldn't budge. Should be able to get it into the shop early next week hopefully.

Advertisement