Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I hate about diabetes! (in a funny way)

Options
  • 24-07-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Okay this is not ment too seriously, But what annoys you about having diabetes?!? any funny stories welcome!

Ill start the ball rolling I hate it when people give me nutritional advice, when they clearly know nothing about diatetes!!!!!! For example "eat a low carb diet to prevent insulin spikes" ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh diabetes = no insulin now give me that bread roll!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Being woken up if I fall asleep on the couch by concerned family thinking I might have slipped into a coma. That was annoying, everyone's relaxed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the way people fail to acknowledge the fact that I have diabetes 364 days of the year [which is fine], and then advise me against having a slice of cake on my birthday ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Being told that I only need to eat half the Mars bar.

I've opened it now, it tastes good, I'm getting into a nice chocolatey mess and it's fun. Now leave me alone whilst I "recover" from this hypo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The look on peoples face when I say that my son was born small as I am diabetic...they assume that all babies born to diabetic mothers are huge, not the case...will think of more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

having friends tell me not to drink red bull coz its full of sugar, but not worry about the pints of cider I just drank lol :rolleyes:

Oh for any pumpers out there, I had a shower this morning and went to work with out reinserting it!!! (this was the first time, I feel like iv been christened or something!)

• Advertisement

Just remembered this...my daddy used to say "are you high?" to me all the time, it was very embarasing in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Just remembered this...my daddy used to say "are you high?" to me all the time, it was very embarasing in public.

Thanks Cathy, that made me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The other day a women in work informed me that "alot of diabetics die in their sleep".

I barely know this women but I'm glad she told me. :rolleyes:

I hope *I* die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandad.

Not screaming in terror like the people on the bus he was driving

(c) 1968, Bob Monkhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Bringing a choc bar out with me and keeping it in my pocket just for me not to eat it and then find it melted in said pocket.

having to feck of to the bathroom to take my insulin.

trying to talk when im hypo just for absolute garbish to come out.

drinking coors light even thought I want a proper pint!

• Advertisement

Bringing a choc bar out with me and keeping it in my pocket just for me not to eat it and then find it melted in said pocket.

trying to talk when im hypo just for absolute garbish to come out.

drinking coors light even thought I want a proper pint!

lol very good!

Im currently working in a hospital and was told not to lock myself in the bathroom, when I said I was going to check my sugars!!!

Seriously what do people think of us!! lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you went to get your flu jab from the GP's and they took you to the toilets to give it to you would you think that appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Taking out a bag of sweets when i'm low and someone asking me for some..."eh, no, i'm not a bastard, i'm a diabetic!".

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

The amount of people who say I must have been very fat as a child and then inform me that diet coke will give me cancer.

You just have to laugh it off really.

eilo1 wrote: »
    lol very good!

Im currently working in a hospital and was told not to lock myself in the bathroom, when I said I was going to check my sugars!!!

Seriously what do people think of us!! lol

Sorry that wasnt very clear, I wastn even going to the toilet! she just threw this random it of advice at me!!! I found it a bit patronising as I have been dealing with this for 15 years, but to be fair her heart was in the right place.

ElBarco wrote: »
    The amount of people who say I must have been very fat as a child and then inform me that diet coke will give me cancer.

You just have to laugh it off really.

Ha! Very true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I love when nurses ask me am i a high blood sugar or a low blood sugar diabetic. As if both werent different halves of the same coin. And asking me again when i return a few months later for my check up. Ah, bless:rolleyes:

Do you mind if I ask, do you feel you have to go to the bathroom, is it something you have always done.

I'm fairly new to this, only diagnosed 18 months ago, and it never occurred to me to go to the bathroom. I inject into my stomach and found I can do it with out much fuss.

How do other diabetics deal with it.

Thanks

T

TishyO wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask, do you feel you have to go to the bathroom, is it something you have always done.

I'm fairly new to this, only diagnosed 18 months ago, and it never occurred to me to go to the bathroom. I inject into my stomach and found I can do it with out much fuss.

How do other diabetics deal with it.

Thanks

T

Another "jab it in, there and then" here! Have done it on flights, in restaurants, bars, theatres, etc etc for about ten years now. Never any hassle.

Don't go to the bathroom or anything myself either, just do what I need to do wherever I happen to be at the time, but certainly not anywhere near the loos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

If i have to test my blood i go to the loo to do it as apparently people get squeamish when they see blood at the table;). Other than that i sit down and inject as i talk at the table. Most of my friends remind me to take my shots as they havent seen me doing them. Makes you wonder if people see much around them at all

5live wrote: »
    If i have to test my blood i go to the loo to do it as apparently people get squeamish when they see blood at the table;). Other than that i sit down and inject as i talk at the table. Most of my friends remind me to take my shots as they havent seen me doing them. Makes you wonder if people see much around them at all
    Have had some people object - the way that I look at it, it is their problem not mine...I do blood tests wherever and the same with giving myself insulin - I have a medical condtion that needs medicine and monitoring.

They are really paying too much attention to something that doesn't concern them if they are getting squeamish about seeing a 3ul drop of blood on the end of someones finger across the table from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I usually just jab it in anywhere but I am a bit self consious around people I dont know. I hate when people at work arrange lunchtime meetings for me and i have to do the jab in front of lots of people I don't know. I usually end up having to go to the room, see if there is actually lunch provided like they said there would be, then go off and take jab and then go back to meeting room and hope that everyone else hasn't eaten the lunch!!!

About 5 years ago a dentist told me that because i was diabetic i'd need extra checkups due to all the extra sugar i'd be eating!!

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Hi TishyO

I got a pump back in May so im not injecting any more. However I did inject for 15 years and used to do it anywhere!
    On the tube in London, on flights, on the bus, in the car, on the back of a horse, in restaurants literally anywhere.

I take offence to anyone who doesnt like it. As far as I was concerned it is their problem and they are discriminating against you if they give you a hard time about it.

You have an illness and you need to take medicine for it. You should be able to do that any place any time.

PS so far iv only inserted the pump on the bus and in my car. Havnt had the need to do it on a horse yet! lol

Shooting up on a horse, now that's impressive. I thought I was taking risks doing it before on a ski lift, but I was only doing that when the risk of frostbite was minimal, a horse would be moving about too much for my liking I think. :D

ah you get used to it, I used to work with race horses so you end up spending the morning just jumping off one and onto another. So any time I would forget to take it, id just get someone to pass me my kit and take a quick little shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

tbh wrote: »
    Another "jab it in, there and then" here! Have done it on flights, in restaurants, bars, theatres, etc etc for about ten years now. Never any hassle.

I'm exactly the same. :D And to be perfectly honest, I'd actually be quite insulted if someone were to ask me to go to a bathroom to inject.

I'll admit that I have done so before but only because I find it a bit harder to do when I'm on my own and injecting in public.
    5live wrote: »
    I love when nurses ask me am i a high blood sugar or a low blood sugar diabetic.

What does this even mean? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

On the back of a horse, very impressive eilo1. The only time I've had a problem was when I went to a wedding earlier this year. I sat down for the meal and realised I'm wearing a dress how am I going to inject. I never wear dresses so I hadn't had that problem before. Thank goodness for very long tablecloths.:D

Advertisement