Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turn my road bike into touring?

Options
  • 24-07-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I'm in a bind. i have an entry level TREK 1000, about 5 years old, which suits me just find for my daily 30kms return commute.

I'd love to buy a Touring bike but can't afford to. My TREK can't take panniers. Could I buy a bike trailer like this one (but cheaper!) and use it to carry my touring stuff? I use slightly larger tyres than the standard issue.

I don't plan any fully loaded touring but rather a few days worth of gear, tent food, spares, etc.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've got a child trailer rather like that. A bit better, if anything.

I think it would be ok for touring, but no off-road stuff.

I also have a bike-hod, which is hitched under the seat post and is a more upright design. I use it for transporting guitars and doing the shopping. I've carried pretty heavy loads up to about 30km on it, so it's grand for on-road, but again, probably not great for any off-road stuff.

I think the axle-mounted trailers might be ok for poorer roads.

Many people recommend one-wheel trailers for touring, because they affect your speed and handling less. You really have to ride differently with a two-wheel trailer, because you have tree wheel-lines instead of one. A bit like an articulated tricycle or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Are you sure it won't take a rack? Every Trek 1000 I have seen has the holes for mounting one. I have a trailer myself but panniers are far preferable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

blorg wrote: »
    Are you sure it won't take a rack? Every Trek 1000 I have seen has the holes for mounting one. I have a trailer myself but panniers are far preferable IMO.

aw jeez, just checked again. they do take panniers, so, do you think it's a reasonable bike for some light touring with 700* 28 wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I threw my thoughts into this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055978706

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

justo wrote: »
    aw jeez, just checked again. they do take panniers, so, do you think it's a reasonable bike for some light touring with 700* 28 wheels.
    Yes, I think it would be fine for light touring with 28s. You would probably want mudguards as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

I use an Axiom Streamliner on my Trek Madone and it works a treat. They're great for racers as you don't need eyelets on the frame and most of the load is on the rear wheel because the rack attaches through the rear scewer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You could also try a large saddle bag like a carradice and a handlebar bag. Should cover you for most modest tours (5 days anyway)

Advertisement