Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a boards-wide policy re inserting internet links?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No, there is generally no site policy on inserting links.

Apart from the obvious, such as NSFW and the like.

Having said that, context is king, so it all depends on what the context is, and if there is any particular history between the poster and the forum.

Is there a specific thread you are unhappy about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, there is generally no site policy on inserting links.

Apart from the obvious, such as NSFW and the like.

Having said that, context is king, so it all depends on what the context is, and if there is any particular history between the poster and the forum.

Is there a specific thread you are unhappy about?

Thanks Tom,

yes there is indeed a thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67083949

The post by the poster ( Scuzz, if I recall correctly) to which I replied (as I have lots of expertise and knowledge on the exact question he was asking about) had a site link in his post. He had posted a link to a chimney supplier.

As part of the answer I posted the search below

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=chimney+systems&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Subsequently a mod did a partial snip on the Scuzz post and snipped my search results link as well as removing some company names.

I queried the incomplete snipping of the OP's post, for which I got a 7 day ban.

The ban was reduced to 1 day on foot of my post re consistency in moderation.

Being banned or not is not the issue for me, the issue is trying to find out what is allowed.

It seems to me that the mods in C and P have gone for a easy approach which is no names whatsoever, largely as a result of litigation threats and experiences in other forums.

Anyone who is familiar with the case law here knows that it is when 'libelous' comments are posted and are allowed stand with no moderation policy thereon is when the trouble starts.

The position in C and P results in the following scenario:

OP: Can anyone tell me the name of a good locksmith in D14?

Reply: Try ABC Ltd who is in the Golden Pages

Mod: No names Try <SNIP> who is in the Golden pages

PM only

Similar issues arise with providing links to useful material.

For example on Solar Shading see
    http://www.buildup.eu/publications/9711

C and P wont allow that link to be posted

Keep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Being banned or not is not the issue for me, the issue is trying to find out what is allowed

Ok, it seems like you have learned the hard way what is not acceptable. :D

Now, if we can find out what is acceptable, you will be sorted.

First of all, I don't know what is/is not acceptable on most forums. The reason for this is that each forum is it's own little mini-community and as such, have their own local rules on what is and is not acceptable.

One example I always give is the Apple Media Devices forum, which as you can see, I mod. All over Boards.ie, advertising is not permitted, yet on that forum I actively encourage developers to advertise their software. Why? Because it adds to the forum and helps build a community.

So, what's my point, I hear you say? What is acceptable in one forum may not be acceptable in another.

The first port of call is the forum charter and just having a quick skim through the C & P I can see that it is highlighted in bold:
    Any threads naming specific companies/traders will be deleted. Exceptions to this will be at the moderators' discretion.

I honestly don't know the reason for that, but I am sure the mods have good reason. It may be as you say, to keep the legal people happy.

To cut to the chase, it is probably better that one of the forum mods answers your question directly on what is an is not acceptable, rather than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The following section of the Construction & Planning Forum Charter

Any threads naming specific companies/traders will be deleted. Exceptions to this will be at the moderators' discretion.

is there to stop threads being filled up with references to specific companies or traders or businesses or product manufacturers which would crowd the opinions and information otherwise being given by posters.

It makes for crisp, clear and precise opinion and information which is as un-biased as is possible to give on any thread, without cluttering up the posts with un-necessary advertising.

If any poster wants specific company names for any given works we encourage posters to PM any recommendations, again to keep threads uncluttered.

The exceptions mentioned above refer to the very large companies who would not benefit from being mentioned on any of the threads like, say, Velux, Kingspan, Tegral or Aerobord and where they are only used for comparison purposes.

The Construction and Planning forum is a very good and helpful site, and one of the best forums of its kind in the industry. It is also one of the best run forums (I am relatively new to moderating the forum, so am not taking any credit for the way it's run, but I am proud to be part of it...:))

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just to add a little to what Poor Uncle Tom has said.

At the outset I would like to briefly outline the history of the forum. A couple of years back we got the Construction & Planning forum set up. We battled hard to keep the shills and spammers away to ensure that it was a place where anyone with a related query or topic to debate could do so in the knowledge that they were getting free and independent advice.

In addition to what Poor Uncle Tom has stated Id like to point out that we, the moderators, take great pride in the fact that all the hard work (and it's ongoing) has left us with a forum where we know people can debate, seek advice, offer opinions etc free from those who would seek to promote their particular business/product and give a very biased opinion or offer advice that is nothing more than self pimpage.

Yes, we do have reps from various companies who post there but we have an agreement with them that they may post their comments and offer advice so long as they do not promote their particular business or product. I'm glad to say that these guys adhere to the agreement and are a real asset to the forum. As pointed out by Poor Uncle Tom we do allow the bigger companies to be named as they dont need the lugs. These would be the likes of Roadstone, Velux, Kingspan, Xtratherm Tegral etc.

As Tom Dunne has quite rightly pointed out there isn't a Boards.ie specific policy regarding the posting of links. However there is clear policy when it comes to compliance with the forum charter and the relevant part has been posted above.

Carlow52 please dont think you were treated in any way different to others who have posted the same comments. Like most forums you wont see the number of moderated posts and the list of people who have been banned/infracted for various breaches of the rules/charter. But trust me there are loads of posts that have to be moderated on a daily basis.

I trust this response combined with the posts above has clarified matters for you and we look forward to seeing you posting in the forum again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement