Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian having a go at Tallaght

Options
  • 24-07-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/23/the-fiver-fulham-sven-goran-eriksson
    "We do not know Shamrock Rovers and therefore we have to study them through videos" - Juventus forward David Lanzafame looks forward to next week's Big Vase third round qualifier against Irish side Shamrock Rovers in Robbie Keane's hometown of Tallaght. If Juventus lose, they won't be the first Old Lady to have been mugged in the notoriously rough Dublin village.

Saw this the other day, I was a little offended.
    Tallaght is only considered a village?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/23/the-fiver-fulham-sven-goran-eriksson

Saw this the other day, I was a little offended.
    Tallaght is only considered a village?

lol :D

it could have said a lot worse which would have been true tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

brilliant...in fairness he's not wrong. hope rovers do the buisness. i'll be getting my tickets on monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yes when my office was in Tallaght Village that was the address and correct term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tallaght was always a village.

And a lot of well established businesses like pubs will have Tallaght Village in their address

Quick google search shows Foxes Covert
    The origins of the pub go back to 1933 when Martin Molloy purchased The Foxes Covert Licensed and Grocery business in Tallaght village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

I don't think anywhere in the UK with 100,000 people would be considered a village. On the rough point.... ah hem!!...... they could be right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

the term village means former village. Islington has been called a village. Westminister. People call Raheny a village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

changes wrote: »
    I don't think anywhere in the UK with 100,000 people would be considered a village.
    Yet there is a place in Florida that I know of in detail called "Rockledge" that has a population of 20,000 and thats called a city!
    Strange... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

We're not rough, just don't approach us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

City is unrelated to size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tallaght was always a village.

And a lot of well established businesses like pubs will have Tallaght Village in their address

You mean like Molloys or Macari's or something, which happens to be in Tallaght Village?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

To be fair. I wouldn't consider Tallaght a village. Just a cancerous limb that makes up one part of one big stinking ****hole. I've nothing against Tallaght on it's own. I just think Dublin ruins Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Tallaght is a village yep. Also, like nearly every other place, Tallaght has it's good and bad spots. It's not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A city is a legal/administrative entity not a size of place.

mike65 wrote: »
    A city is a legal/administrative entity not a size of place.
    I won't disagree with you in that respect - just as the example I gave though above, Rockledge is neither!
    Its just something I have yet to get my head around in understanding sometimes. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Terry wrote: »

Lol ya fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I don't know about over there, but over here AFAIK the one thing that makes a place a city is that it has a cathedral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Biggins wrote: »
    I won't disagree with you in that respect - just as the example I gave though above, Rockledge is neither!
    Its just something I have yet to get my head around in understanding sometimes. :)

http://www.drumcouracity.ie/
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

to be a city you need,a catherdal,a lord mayor,and a city hall
    i think there is 11 city's in the ireland
    city's are unrealted to population size

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

we dont only mug old ladys in tallaght well mug anyone we do not discriminate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

i think there is 11 city's in the ireland
    city's are unrealted to population size
    The definition of a city also varies from country to country.

Wrong wrong and wrong! You don't need a Lord Mayor, just any old Mayor. A Cathedral is not required for a city, Birmingham in England does not have one for example. A city hall will only be found in a city ipso-facto!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Wrong wrong and wrong! You don't need a Lord Mayor, just any old Mayor. A Cathedral is not required for a city, Birmingham in England does not have one for example. A city hall will only be found in a city ipso-facto!
    Birmingham doesn't have one mike, it's got two :pac:

St Philips, the CofE one; and St Chad's, the RC one

Cheers, it didn't have one when it was made a city. (1889)

Ok, now I'm just twice as confused! :D

Whip me ass and just call me dopey! :pac:

Oh and KILKENNY IS NOT A REAL CITY!

/runs and hides.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Tallaght is whopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Tallaght Village refers to the area of what used to be Tallaght Village, consisting of Main Street and a few other streets around there, not the whole of Tallaght.

I think with the high population living there its nearly city status.

There is one in Birmingham, St Philips

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Oh and KILKENNY IS NOT A REAL CITY!

/runs and hides.

It really isn't, it's completely farcical to be calling that place a city, it's a medium sized town at best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Ok, now I'm just twice as confused! :D

Whip me ass and just call me dopey! :pac:

To complicate things further, Brighton and Hove, Sunderland and Wolverhampton have no cathedral but do have city status.

And Rochester used to be a city but now isn't.

Advertisement