Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped Licence

• 24-07-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently 15, will be 16 soon and I'm interested in obtaining a moped licence.

I was just wondering, what is required to obtain one? I don't really have much interest in driving a moped in Ireland and will get a car when I'm 17 it's really just for the experience and being able to drive one abroad on holidays (much cheaper rental)

How do I go about getting a provisional, where can I get a full/costs ect.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

1) apply for and pass a theory test

2) go to motor tax office and get learners permit
    you will need the relevant fee, two photos, completed form and eyesight test.

the learners permit is only valid in ireland, and will be of no use if you go on holidays abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

pa990 wrote: »

the learners permit is only valid in ireland, and will be of no use if you go on holidays abroad

That depends where you go on holiday. In Europe,US, Australia & NZ a learners permit won't be any use to hire a moped. But in many parts of Asia, Central and South America and the Middle East a license isn't usually a problem for the person hiring the bike. Its only a problem if you have an accident or get pulled over by the cops and don't have a license. Then its your problem, not the dude who hired the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is a really, really, REALLY bad idea OP.

Many of the 50ccs for rental in Spain or Greece are in bits, never mind further afield in effectively third world countries.

With zero experience on a bike you won't have any idea whether the bike is safe, or any idea what you're doing. No reputable company would rent to a 16 year old in the first place (most won't even rent a car to under 25's, and cars don't fall over) so that makes the chances of getting hold of a bike that's not a death trap pretty slim.

In Spain, Greece etc. they will rent to you without a bike licence, but only if you have a full car licence. Irish learner permit is a worthless piece of paper over there and it's hard to see anyone in their right mind renting to a 16 year old especially with no licence.

Further afield (Asia) you may be able to get away with it, but experienced riders find it challenging and dangerous enough in countries like these. Seriously, just don't.

And crashing in flip flops and t-shirt really hurts... and when learning it's not if you'll crash but when.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement