Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Finglas Experience

• 24-07-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I was reading a thread here a few minutes ago, which reminded me of this story. It happened a good few years ago..

I moved into a flat in Drapier Road, Glasnevin, which is in the area covered by the Finglas Social Warfare office.

After I went along and filled in forms for my claim and was interviewed etc., I had to await a visit from the SW Inspector.
    A few weeks went by, as usual, then I got a phone call to say he'd be there one day that week, so I waited in all day - no sign of him.
    A few days later, another phone call and he'll be there soon, so I waited in all day, still no sign of him.

The next time he calls, I tell him hat I never saw him but he says that he called around but got no answer so I wasn't in.

He Disqualified my claim.

My only option at this point was to go see him in his office. It turned out that he was visiting the wrong house.
    He was going to Drapier Green and I lived on Drapier Road. He self-righteously showed me the form I had filled out for him, it had Drapier Road on it.

Instead of apologizing, and getting right down to sorting out my claim, he told me there was nothing he could do, and that I'd have to make a fresh claim.

I had already built up over a month of debt at this stage, and I could feel the anxiety and heartburn creeping up. I had no choice but to make a fresh claim.

I decided to make an Appeal at the Appeals office in D'Olier Street, Dublin 2. That was around ten years ago and I haven't heard anything back from them. During the intervening years it must have slipped my mind.

I can only assume that the Social Welfare Inspector contacted the Appeals Office and cancelled my appeal himself.
    If that kind of thing is allowed to happen, then how can ordinary people be sure their State Officials are behaving honestly when dealing with their claims?

Comments

That is a terrible thing that happened to you.

I got a letter from the appeals office the other day, stating that they are obligated to contact the social welfare office in regards to my appeal. I'm not sure if the social welfare office can then state their grounds for refusal and if that can affect your claim. Citizen's Advice might know - they have a helpline number which I have called more than once and have done their best to help me. They would probably be best equipped to answer your questions about the appeals procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

That sounds standard enough, for the Appeals office to contact the Social Welfare to get their reason for refusing your claim.

The ultimate decision should be made by the Appeals office, and not the SW. If the SW's reason is not valid, then the Appeals officer will overturn the SW's ruling. Either way, you should get a fair hearing in D'Olier St.

Remember to bring whatever paperwork you'll need.
    It might be an idea to bring someone with you who is familiar with your circumstances or the SW system, and who can support your story, or at the very least for moral support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Did all this happen ten years ago?

Thanks for sharing your experience, although it really won't be relevant to most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Very true... see my post in the survey sticky above... claim handled and approved in one day. JSB

Advertisement