Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dongles just wont install for me

• 24-07-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum

im having trouble trying to install 2 broadband dongles, meteor and 3. My brother un-installed 3 dongle first and tried to install the meteor one but the computer wont even recognised the meteor dongle, you plug it in and it wont even come up and no sign of it in the my computer area. Now im having the exact same problem with the three modem (trying to reinstall it)

you plug the dongle in and a double beep comes, its like its being blocked or somthing

i tried going into safe mode, but no luck and tried a system restore but also no luck what so ever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

try using CCleaner to get rid of any traces of the dongles in the registry. i think i had the same problem with two different models of O2 bb. the computer wouldn't recognise the new one even though the old modem software had been uninstalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Its most likly due to the fact that they are both made by the same company (Haweii I think) and are now conflicting with each other. This happened with my 3 and vodafone dongle.

I fixed the problem by firsly uninstalling both application fron control panel - Add/remove programs. Then with one dongle pluged in at a time go into device manager and unistall drivers, from it where it appears as an external harddrive, and in the USB section.

When all is unistalled plug the one you want to use back in an install again.

This makes changing between devices a real pain. Not sure if anyone else knows how to get both working together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

whiteman19 wrote: »
    try using CCleaner to get rid of any traces of the dongles in the registry. i think i had the same problem with two different models of O2 bb. the computer wouldn't recognise the new one even though the old modem software had been uninstalled.

no such luck mate, still not showing up. I did find files in the register and deleted them but the dongles still arent showing up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Can you use system restore to go back 6 months before you installed 3 usb modem.
    ON MY pc they show up as usb drive or new cdrom 3 or cd disk or similar, then i click run,install ok.AFTER INSTALLING all previous usb modems,reboot pc , try again.

ricman wrote: »
    Can you use system restore to go back 6 months before you installed 3 usb modem.
    ON MY pc they show up as usb drive or new cdrom 3 or cd disk or similar, then i click run,install ok.AFTER INSTALLING all previous usb modems,reboot pc , try again.

nope the restore only goes back to yesterday, the dongles dont show up at all, when i insert them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

do you have windows 7 by any chance? i've found multiple 3G modems are a big no no.. just causes a whole lot of problems.. if you go into your device manager chances are there is some trace of former 3g devices

corkcomp wrote: »
    do you have windows 7 by any chance? i've found multiple 3G modems are a big no no.. just causes a whole lot of problems.. if you go into your device manager chances are there is some trace of former 3g devices

its windows vista

TRY a usb key ,or usb drive, maybe your pc usb drivers are screwed up.
    i installed 3 modem on 7 pcs,never had a problem.
    i had a pc 3 years ago ,it picked up usb mice,would not detect any usb drive at all.
    if the worst happens,you could reinstall vista on the pc.
    YOU could put dongle into a friends pc ,copy all the data to a folder,install 1,burn it to a cdr,then use the cdr in your machine.CLick setup,install file or similar,or just click the cd, it shut autoload the setup process.WHEN copying to cdr just copy the data direct from the dongle,as is,to cd all files ,folders ,so the cd should autorun the install ,when cdr is clicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

TRY a usb key ,or usb drive, maybe your pc usb drivers are screwed up.
    i installed 3 modem on 7 pcs,never had a problem.
    i had a pc 3 years ago ,it picked up usb mice,would not detect any usb drive at all.
    if the worst happens,you could reinstall vista on the pc.
    the usb drives are working perfectly
    corkcomp wrote: »

that would be handy if i could actually start the software, I insert the dongle and a double beep happens and when i take the dongle out a beep happens, so it knows there's a dongle there but it would start or show up in my computer

maybe if I download the software for the Huawei E1550??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can you see it in the device manager? If Vista isnt auto installing the device then it believes its already working(due to the old one). Going into the device manager and manually telling it to update might do it if you're lucky.

Can you see it in the device manager? If Vista isnt auto installing the device then it believes its already working(due to the old one). Going into the device manager and manually telling it to update might do it if you're lucky.

I dont see it in device manager, maybe im missing it but what should it look like?

i think you,d be better off uninstalling the usb modems from device manager ,it wont detect a new 3 modem, if its already installed an old 3 modem.i had to uninstall modem 1 usb, to get a new modem installed on my pals netbook, last week.I dont know if its 3 or 02modem i installed.

try control panel,add, remove,programs , remove all 3 acess internet programs.ie 3 usb modem program.

try control panel,add, remove,programs , remove all 3 acess internet programs.ie 3 usb modem program.

lol

I found a sneaky software in the add-remove program, called Huawei

cant believe i missed deleting that, so its gone now and im very happy to report im reinstalling 3 dongle as we speak

thanks for all the help folks, really appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I had the name slightly wrong but was on the right track;)

Advertisement