Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infant not feeding enough, suggested bottles?

• 24-07-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭

I have a 7 week old baby and she only feeds about 2-3oz per feed 5 times a day so she is well below what she should be taking. I had her at her six week check and the Dr wants to monitor her weight for the next few weeks. I've been using Dr Brown's bottles with level 2 teat. I changed to level 2 teat when she was 2 weeks old as i felt she was getting tired on level 1. I'm not sure weather she is just not hungry or the teat is not suitable for her. She is a very content baby but will only take the bottle when she wants it. Can anyone suggest any bottles that maybe easier for baby to take or more soothing during feeding?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You could maybe try a size 3 teat? It'll be cheaper than investing in a load of new bottles if it works.

We use the Avent bottles and have never had any problems with our little one, even when switching from breast to bottle, she seemed to take the transition fine.

Is baba falling asleep during feeds? If so it might be an idea to strip her down before starting the feed so she doesn't get too snuggy. Also, if she stops mid feed, change her nappy to wake her up again. This way she might take more.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

To be honest, if she's gaining weight steadily and feeding 2-3oz at every feed then I wouldn't be worried, just monitor her weight.

My daughter only took 3oz per feed every 3 hours when she was 8 weeks old and PHN wasn't worried about her as she was still gaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Thanks for your posts. I think I might leave her as she is so for this week and see if she has gained weight when i go to Dr next week. She seems to be quite content with 2-3oz and i can't force her to take anymore, i suppose as long as she is gaining weight steadily she'll be ok. Thanks

Advertisement