Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent: Which flour to use??

Options
  • 24-07-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm baking a cake later using the following recipe.
    It doesn't specify if the flour is plain or self-raising. I'd assume self-raising but I'm not sure. Would a teaspoon of vanilla essence be an ok substitute for 1 vanilla pod?
    Does anyone know?

For the sponge

*250g/9oz butter, plus extra for greasing
    *250g/9oz caster sugar
    *5 free-range eggs
    *1 vanilla pod, seeds only
    *400g/14oz flour
    *1 tsp baking powder
    *1 orange, zest and juice

Haven't even started baking this yet and I'm already panicking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I assume from looking at those ingredients that the method is to cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and then flour? If so, use plain flour. But even if you don't have it, use self-raising, it'll still be fine.

1 vanilla pod to 1 tsp vanilla extract is a good ratio. And don't panic! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Thanks Magic Monkey. This is a cake for my daughter's birthday and I really want it to turn out good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i would have thought plain flour too, given you have baking powder in there.

how did it turn out?!?!?!

Advertisement