Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A muslims opinion on this video?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

SV wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. :)
    I have been looking up on the destroying of the statues alright and did see many references that they'd been asked not to do it, however there is no proof, moreso just comments made by random people here and there.

edit: see your edit there.
    Doesn't "I have been ordered to fight the people until they testify that there is no deity worthy of worship other than Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, establish the prayer, and pay zakat, and if they do this, then their blood and money shall be protected from me, except by an Islamic right, and their account will be with Allah." basically say such a thing? Except explains in detail.

I don't know how it can be interpreted as “It refers to fighting those who are waging war, whom Allah has permitted us to fight. It does not refer to those who have a covenant with us with whom Allah commands us to fulfill our covenant.” that though, except for the 'No compulsion in religion' statement..

For this reason I always defer to the experts. You wont find them here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The translated version of what she is saying is all I'm asking about, not what the responses in the video are.
    I have asked my questions.

How you can ignore it simply because you see the video as being propoganda is ridiculous and a very sly cop out in my opinion.
    If I had simply asked these questions without supplying the video what would you have said?

You can call it a cop out if you like, but personally I can't be bothered with any thing a propoganda outfit like Memri says or does, or any conclusions people may get from them. There are bad source, and have been exposed a long time ago.

wes wrote: »
    You can call it a cop out if you like, but personally I can't be bothered with any thing a propoganda outfit like Memri says or does, or any conclusions people may get from them. There are bad source, and have been exposed a long time ago.

On a side note - and being addressed to SV - since you more than likely have researched a little about MEMRI and their make-up ... how helpful do you see them being - especially when it comes to peace in the middle east? Do you think that posting innacurate details of cherry-picked tv moments and emailing them to policy makers in the US government is good for a peaceful settlement in Palestine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

deravarra wrote: »
    On a side note - and being addressed to SV - since you more than likely have researched a little about MEMRI and their make-up ... how helpful do you see them being - especially when it comes to peace in the middle east? Do you think that posting innacurate details of cherry-picked tv moments and emailing them to policy makers in the US government is good for a peaceful settlement in Palestine?

Absolutely not.

The idea of them is good, in theory, in practise they've proved quite something else.
    Wouldn't be a fan of them now at all and could do without them if there's ever to be peace in the middle east.

Absolutely not.

The idea of them is good, in theory, in practise they've proved quite something else.
    Wouldn't be a fan of them now at all and could do without them if there's ever to be peace in the middle east.

Good stuff. And for the record, I would never dare to suggest that all Israelis are bad and evil people and that all muslims are good. I'm gone beyond that naivety.

I read something last night that got me thinking .... lots of Israelis say that they have a long historical connection with Israel, and as such have a right to it as their country. Funnily enough, for the thousands of years preceeding the 1940's, they only ruled it for ~400 years. Now, given the scale of time before and especially after their demise as a kingdom, wouldnt you think that the rest of the world would acknowledge the legitimacy of the Palestinians right to their country - the one that was taken from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Ok guys, this forum is for discussion of the Islamic religion only. Please take any politicial discussion to the appropriate forum.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Good stuff. And for the record, I would never dare to suggest that all Israelis are bad and evil people and that all muslims are good. I'm gone beyond that naivety.

I read something last night that got me thinking .... lots of Israelis say that they have a long historical connection with Israel, and as such have a right to it as their country. Funnily enough, for the thousands of years preceeding the 1940's, they only ruled it for ~400 years. Now, given the scale of time before and especially after their demise as a kingdom, wouldnt you think that the rest of the world would acknowledge the legitimacy of the Palestinians right to their country - the one that was taken from them?
    Ok guys, this forum is for discussion of the Islamic religion only. Please take any politicial discussion to the appropriate forum.

Thanks.

~With that in mind, I'll PM you a response later on though if you want? Possibly tomorrow either.

Going to work now and only have mobile boards and really don't want to 'text' that kind of thing.

~With that in mind, I'll PM you a response later on though if you want? Possibly tomorrow either.

Going to work now and only have mobile boards and really don't want to 'text' that kind of thing.

It's ok ... i dont mind. enjoy work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

For this reason I always defer to the experts. You wont find them here :)

This is certainly true on both counts! :)

The hadith "I have been ordered to fight people . . . " is certainly authentic (it is reported by the two leading authorities, Bukhari and Muslim, on the authority of different, highly respected, narrators). It has also been translated fairly, even moderately. The Arabic text is as follows:
    أمرت أن أقاتل الناس
    I'd transliterate this as "umirtu an uqatil'an-nasa". The word that has been translated into English as "fight" comes from the verb "qatala", which appears around 170 times in the Qur'an, and often has the meaning "kill", so "fight" is a moderate translation. The word translated into English as "people" is probably the most general Arabic word for this concept, and it's interesting that the hadith doesn't use a more limited word like "polytheist" or "disbeliever".

The saying is also reported by Bukhari within a hadith narrated by Abu Huraira (one of the most significant hadith narrators) about Abu Bakr, the first khalifa after the death of Muhammad. In this hadith, Abu Bakr refers to Muhammad's statement as justification for fighting some Bedouin tribes that had refused to continue paying the zakah after the death of Muhammad (the tribes argued that their agreement with Muhammad to accept Islam and follow the required practices ceased when he died, and they were no longer obliged to pay zakah).

Most scholars (such as Ibn Taymiyyah, as deravarra mentioned) take the latter hadith as support for arguing that the order to fight applies only where groups who had originally accepted Islam publicly refuse to follow the required practices, so it is more like a "police action" within Islam. They do not see the hadith as providing justification for fighting anyone who is not a Muslim. On the other hand, a few extremists rely on this hadith and on similar verses in the Qur'an as authority permitting (indeed, requiring) them to fight non-Muslims.

Given that verses and hadiths like this have been analysed in depth for centuries, we are unlikely to come up with fresh insights, but it's always a good idea to ask (1) is the quotation authentic; (2) has it been fairly translated; (3) what was the context in which the quotation was uttered (or verse was revealed); and (4) what is the consensus of the scholars, and what minority views exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

A couple of years ago, one of the moderators at that time, the_new_mr, started a series of threads discussing Al-Nawawi's collection of forty (actually 42) hadith, which Al-Nawawi suggested represented the "great principles of the deen [the religion and way of life of Islam]". Apparently, Muhammad was reported as saying: "Whoever preserves forty hadith for my Ummah in the affair of their deen, Allah will raise him up on the Day of Reckoning in the company of the people of knowledge", so collections of forth hadith were very popular. Al-Nawawi's collection dates from around 1270CE and is one of the most famous.

Unfortunately, we didn't get very far in discussing the hadith collection (the initiative fizzled out at Hadith No. 3), but I thought that it might be worth linking to a modern commentary site on the "I have been ordered to fight people" hadith (Al-Nawawi's Hadith No. 8). This commentary interprets the order to "fight" rather metaphorically, and refers critically to "those people [who] interpret this hadith to mean fighting but this may not be applicable to the situation of the Muslims today where fighting may cause more and greater harm." The commentary also claims that most scholars take the view that this hadith relates only to polytheists, not to the ahl al-kitab - People of the Book - such as Jews and Christians.

As a contrast, here is a link to a salafi website with a commentary on the Forty Hadith of Al-Nawawi. The commentary on Hadith No. 8 takes things more literally, and interprets the hadith as requiring Muslims to "fight disbelievers until Islam triumphs."

And finally, here's a recitation of the hadith:

• Advertisement
Advertisement