Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evaluate my pc

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Interesting, so is that a similar build to the ones I've posted?

<---- completely lost with some hardware issues

I'd go with the 1TB had drive, theres really no difference in price.

Graphics card, I had been reading all about ATI Radeons, with the 5770 looking a certian, 5850 if i could push it, whats that nvidia like?

The Antec 300 is definitly a nice case and something I'd probably take.

Is that system DDR2 or 3? I'm not familiar with 3 and if its a benefit.

So thats €700 shipped including the Antec 300, we will say what another €40 for the 1TB Drive?

So €740

What advantages does the above build have over the AMD one from overclockers?

Cheers.

It was just a fairly similar build for less cash, OC build has a better graphics card but this one has a better PSU, faster HDD and arguably a better motherboard :). I think it is only another 17 euro for the 1TB F3. As for DDR3 all Am3 and i5/i7 platforms are are DDR3 nowadays so you have to go that route anyway, the actual performance gain is very moderate.

Graphics wise the GT460 is a really good card falling in between the 5770 and the 5850 (it is better than a 5830 so it is closer to the 5850 than the 5770 if that helps), if the price gap is fairly small between them then the 5850 is definately worth it, otherwise the GT460 is a good bet.

Actually I forgot the DVD drive so another 20 of the gap closed, and bumping up to a 5850 would probably close the gap making it much of a muchness I suppose, the intent of the build i posted was to come up with a slightly lower speced, lower priced effort that would do the pretty well the same job just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could probably shave a couple of euro from the PSU in marco's build.

e.g OCZ StealthXStream 600W 59,63 € - Good PSU but prices are falling as a new series is coming in. Also comes with only 3 x SATA power connectors (not really a problem in this build). http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20682

Antec EarthWatts 650W (made by delta) 64,38 € http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=23607

XFX 650 Watt (made by seasonic) (modular or semi-modular - handy!) 75,41 €
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36372

The antec truepower new has also good reviews (€70)
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31372

I don't know what they put into OCUK builds. I haven't heard anything good or bad about them, but I have to say that that's nearly suspiciously cheap.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-025-OP&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

Or I could go and read the specs
    Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream II 600W

Re: 5770 vs 5850 vs 460. Pretty much what marco said. The 460 is priced extremely well and is considerably cheaper than the 5850. Performance per euro is probably better than the 5850 at the moment, but if you can stretch to the 5850, you should be still happy. On the other hand, if you're only playing on you 720p tv, you don't need more than a 5770.

@TheDoc You said above that you might get another graphics card, is this still on the cards? You won't be needing above 500W, even with the 5850, but if you're planning multiple cards, you should choose your PSU accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm playing on a 720p telly so a 5770 is really the cap, after that its a tad overkill imo :)

I think I'm going to go with the Overclockers build. For the sake of warranty, its already built, installed and neatly built and their sales team were a dream to talk to this morning. They bumped the HD to 1TB for an extra €10 :O. So for all in €710 :)

The price however is on a weekly special so may creep up a few euro by the end of the week but no big hassle.

I thank you for your efforts guys and I've taken a lot of comfort learning in some stuff like new cpus, gfx cards and DDR3 ram. It is great to know there is a lot of knowledge around here.

I thank you all for your recomended builds, but I just felt that the above option ticked more boxes then building from the ground up. You get to a point sometimes when you just couldnt be ased building pcs anymore :)

I'll let you know how I get on, I'll throw pics up in the "my pc" topic.

Thanks again

Small update, someone bought my pc so thats settled and I'm ordering the overlockers one tomorrow, let you know how it all gets on, expect plenty of pics and writing ;D

Well guys new pc arrived today, had it all setup rather soon with no problems.

So far impressed, the thing makes absolutely no noise, its epic.

Going to run it through some game see how it fares, thanks a billion :D

So chuffed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well guys new pc arrived today, had it all setup rather soon with no problems.

So far impressed, the thing makes absolutely no noise, its epic.

Going to run it through some game see how it fares, thanks a billion :D

So chuffed

"Evaluate my PC" turns into a fantastic but new build = typical of this forum :)

Any excuse to upgrade

congrats no the pc, and now you have a duty to provide pics to the pics thread

Advertisement