Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Marathon
    PACE
    4:00

1 - 0:09:09
    2 - 0:18:18
    3 - 0:27:27
    4 - 0:36:36
    5 - 0:45:46
    6 - 0:54:55
    7 - 1:04:04
    8 - 1:13:13
    9 - 1:22:23
    10 - 1:31:32
    11 - 1:40:41
    12 - 1:49:50
    13 - 1:58:59
    HM - 2:00:00
    14 - 2:08:09
    15 - 2:17:18
    16 - 2:26:27
    17 - 2:35:36
    18 - 2:44:46
    19 - 2:53:55
    20 - 3:03:04
    21 - 3:12:13
    22 - 3:21:22
    23 - 3:30:32
    24 - 3:39:41
    25 - 3:48:50
    26 - 3:57:59

Armband ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

You're going for sub 4 then :D

I'm strongly considering joining you.

You're going for sub 4 then :D

I'm strongly considering joining you.

Only people with injury ailments need apply, ha, only joking:p, great, your in with me, MrSlow and RubyK;)

6m done last night, tough hilly route, nearly killed me, but took it easy on the hills with calfs.

Feel surprising good today. Also had time to go to my Pilates class last night too (haven't been in about 6 weeks with one thing or another!). She kicked our butts, think the 6m run was easier in fact! Really enjoyed it and had the best night's kip last night after it.

So all in all an action packed exercise induced evening.

Oh 6m done in or around 50 mins, forgot the stop watch. Can't believe our last LSR is this weekend...before the BIGGY.

3m tonight and then i'm going swimming Saturday and then my last lsr of 8m Sunday.

What's everyone's plan next week in terms of exercise, i'll stick with the plan for runs but are you taking off Friday, Sat and Sunday off with complete rest or will you go for a walk Saturday/Sunday etc:confused:. I'm better with more rest than exercise but might stretch the legs for a stroll Saturday.
    Although i suppose the RDS will be my stroll, but won't be walking around for hours, saving my energy and all that....:rolleyes:

3m done Thursday night, 28m, average 9.3min/miles. Done some fartlek sprints couple of times throughout. Really enjoyed it.

Sunday: just finished my last lsr of 8m. 1h10mins, average 8.7min, very very heavy and very tired for some reason. Think i need a bit more sleep as i've had another 2 early morning this weekend. Will have to mind myself next week.

Thank God for day off tomorrow, will enjoy that.

Good bit of mileage this week, so happy to be back on track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Hey JEmily, well done you and best of luck Monday! Just found this thread and enjoyed reading about your progress!

I'm running on monday too, my first ever marathon as well. I was never much of a runner but I got caught into doing it in June and am doing it for charity. Been on a total beginners training plan - I started off just barely running 4 miles at a time in May, so it's been a serious challenge. And for my cross-training day every week (Wed) I have my horseriding lesson, which is great as I'd hate missing it.

BUT would you believe it, 3 weeks ago just before I was scheduled to do my only 20-miler on my training schedule, I was thrown off the horse - typical sod's law right? Horse put on his 'parking brake' just before a jump, I kept going over his head, somersaulted in the air and landed smack in the middle of a spread jump on my rear end - tailbone has suspected hairline fracture ouch!! :eek: Had to rest up a few days and still niggles but I'll survive tried to get back onto my training schedule, but I missed my 20 mile day and then in tapering zone so wasn't able to fit it in.... so the most I've run is 17.5 miles! ACK! Very nervous about the distance but people have been telling me the energy / adrenaline on the day will get me to the finish - fingers crossed!!

Hope all goes well for you Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

wosheen wrote: »
    Hey JEmily, well done you and best of luck Monday! Just found this thread and enjoyed reading about your progress!

I'm running on monday too, my first ever marathon as well. I was never much of a runner but I got caught into doing it in June and am doing it for charity. Been on a total beginners training plan - I started off just barely running 4 miles at a time in May, so it's been a serious challenge. And for my cross-training day every week (Wed) I have my horseriding lesson, which is great as I'd hate missing it.

BUT would you believe it, 3 weeks ago just before I was scheduled to do my only 20-miler on my training schedule, I was thrown off the horse - typical sod's law right? Horse put on his 'parking brake' just before a jump, I kept going over his head, somersaulted in the air and landed smack in the middle of a spread jump on my rear end - tailbone has suspected hairline fracture ouch!! :eek: Had to rest up a few days and still niggles but I'll survive tried to get back onto my training schedule, but I missed my 20 mile day and then in tapering zone so wasn't able to fit it in.... so the most I've run is 17.5 miles! ACK! Very nervous about the distance but people have been telling me the energy / adrenaline on the day will get me to the finish - fingers crossed!!

Hey wosheen, get yourself over to this thread
    http://boards.ie/tre/2055902744 we've all been training together and a lot of us are running together, you're most welcome to join us for the meet up at the expo (2:30 Sat at the pacers stand) and run with us on Monday, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Great thanks mrslow, will try to get there! God to know other people around same time as me, may not make sub-4 but will try my darndest! :D

wosheen wrote: »

Hey, lovely reply, thanks. Don't think my log is that exciting, bar Digger and MrSlow thinking i'm an alcoholic, but i'm by no means a runner either. So we're in the same boat.

You'll be fine with the mileage you have done especially with your horse riding injury, God love you, i've been there with a broken collar bone about 4 years ago.

Myself and MrSlow and a few other will be running a sub 4 Monday:eek:, can't believe it's this Monday, but anyway, you'll see MrSlow's T-shirt and Blue Knees before you see me. I'm the one sipping on the Brandy n Baileys before the start gun!

We're all meeting at Expo on Saturday, so if your around catch up then.

P.S. Nice to have another horse lover around...you'll have to run with me as then we can talk horses for all of the 4 hours:rolleyes::D

JEmily wrote: »
    Hey, lovely reply, thanks. Don't think my log is that exciting, bar Digger and MrSlow thinking i'm an alcoholic, but i'm by no means a runner either. So we're in the same boat.

You'll be fine with the mileage you have done especially with your horse riding injury, God love you, i've been there with a broken collar bone about 4 years ago.

Myself and MrSlow and a few other will be running a sub 4 Monday:eek:, can't believe it's this Monday, but anyway, you'll see MrSlow's T-shirt and Blue Knees before you see me. I'm the one sipping on the Brandy n Baileys before the start gun!

We're all meeting at Expo on Saturday, so if your around catch up then.

P.S. Nice to have another horse lover around...you'll have to run with me as then we can talk horses for all of the 4 hours:rolleyes::D

The blue knees have been retired! Great - 4 hours of horsey talk:rolleyes:

You've stopped at mile 12 and taken a swig from your hipflask on every LSR so far, and you wonder why we slag you?

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    The blue knees have been retired! Great - 4 hours of horsey talk:rolleyes:

You've stopped at mile 12 and taken a swig from your hipflask on every LSR so far, and you wonder why we slag you?

Aw i liked the blue knees, they were a great landmark for anyone who was lost:p

I told you there was lucozade in that flask, that's all;)

3m done in 28mins tonight. Felt great starting for first mile, done it in something ridiculous like 7.20mins. Bit tired on the way home, but otherwise enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

digger to JEmily.... ♫ Did you drink brandy? Yes I drank brandy! What about Baileys? Yes are you crazy! Maybe a little? Not even maybe! Must be the bottle cos that's why you're hazy.....How are you supposed to race with alcohol all down your face and you can thank your lucky stars that you're twice as fit thanks to all those LSR's ♫

digger2d2 wrote: »
    digger to JEmily.... ♫ Did you drink brandy? Yes I drank brandy! What about Baileys? Yes are you crazy! Maybe a little? Not even maybe! Must be the bottle cos that's why you're hazy.....How are you supposed to race with alcohol all down your face and you can thank your lucky stars that you're twice as fit thanks to all those LSR's ♫

:D:D:D, my your giving me a bad name on this thread...love a brandy and baileys now though;)

Was reading an article yesterday inw hich Paula Radcliff said she stays clear of "germs" coming up to races. Of course we all know this from Taper Madness this week. But she said "shopping trolleys" are notorious for carrying germs...ha, no shopping for you then MrSlow...;)

Was reading an article yesterday inw hich Paula Radcliff said she stays clear of "germs" coming up to races. Of course we all know this from Taper Madness this week. But she said "shopping trolleys" are notorious for carrying germs...ha, no shopping for you then MrSlow...;)

That sounds fruity, there's germs everywhere, computer keyboards have more germs than toilet seats! Plus this comes from a woman who ran a 43 min 10k while 6 months pregnant!

This week has been a bit mental to say the least. Can't seem to get into bed early with injured horse etc.

Decided to get out on a walk last night instead of a run, to loosen up the legs. Enjoyed it.

Hopefully out tonight for my last run, will do 3m and then leave it at that.

Stomach seems a bit upset with the new carbs added at lunch times. Seem to have lost 1lbs which is weird considering i'm carbing up more. Overall since training started i've put on 7lbs. I know most of this is muscle but for anyone who thinks running a marathon will leave you alot more slender, not when you get into the higher mileage figures, you have to eat to refuel.

Other than that i haven't got majorily excited yet or lost the rag. Maybe the weekend it will hit home.

On another note: not to put a dampner on a Friday but my best friends Dad was given a couple of weeks if not days to live with lung cancer. It adds up to alot of friends close to me i've lost suddenly with cancer in the last year. If there's one thing i'm going to do on Monday morning at 9am is to "run that race for them"...they will be there watching down on me and am i going to run like i've never ran before...:eek:
    I'M READY FOR THIS LIKE I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE READY FOR ANYTHING!!!

Reporting from a very painful place this morning: JEmily came in at Chip Time: 4.12.

There was a bit of confusion at the start of my race, we lost my sisters running buddy. Had to walk from sub 4 pacers to literally the last person at the back of the whole race to find him. Found him eventually but meant we had alot of traffic to pass to get going as we were in with walkers? too. Don't ask...but missed running with RubyK and MrSlow.

We all paced ourselves very well at start, then mile 15 we lost my sister and her running buddy as our pace was too strong, they took their pace back. Myself and running buddy kept a lovely pace the whole way until we met what looked like Digger walking???? I was so shocked to see him walking, went back to try urge him on but he was realistic his legs were gone. Continued on and only found i wavered around mile 23/24 when i felt bit tired and heavy and the miles just seem to last aaaaggggges.

Then got back into town mile 25 and the crowds were fantastic...they spurred my pace on again.

We got in view on the finish line and kicked in our Fartlek training, we sprinted home. It's amazing how your body responds to what was done in training, even when your physically in shreds.

Really enjoyed it, yeah would have like my sub 4, but in heinsight i had great craic with the crowd, relaxed and enjoyed every second. Whomever told us to put our names on tops, it was best idea ever.

Gas thing is yesterday i said "no way" to another marathon, today i woke up saying "i wonder waht time i could do it in next year". Like what????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done J, great work out of you :D It was lovely to meet up with you. Rest the legs, and enjoy the post marathon high.

Well done JEmily, great time.

• Advertisement

Well done JEmily, great time.

Thanks, how you get on in the end?

4:26:30 chip time. Very happy with that. Foolishling went out with the Sub 4 pacers. 3 of the first 6 miles were under 9 minutes. Was just too fast for me so let them off into the distance at mile 11.

I'm already considering Cork Marathon on June weekend?

4:26:30 chip time. Very happy with that. Foolishling went out with the Sub 4 pacers. 3 of the first 6 miles were under 9 minutes. Was just too fast for me so let them off into the distance at mile 11.

I'm already considering Cork Marathon on June weekend?

Well done, fantastic stuff. And another well done for calling the best decision and hanging back to finish comfortably. It takes guts to do that!

I'm not even sure i could have kept with the sub 4 pacers on the day, especially when it's your first marathon is very easy to go out too hard too soon.

Mmmmm, i was wondering what was coming up...that sounds interesting. When would we need to start training February? So i can get fatter over christmas...:p

Well done, fantastic stuff. And another well done for calling the best decision and hanging back to finish comfortably. It takes guts to do that!

I'm not even sure i could have kept with the sub 4 pacers on the day, especially when it's your first marathon is very easy to go out too hard too soon.

Mmmmm, i was wondering what was coming up...that sounds interesting. When would we need to start training February? So i can get fatter over christmas...:p

I read somewhere to have a backup goal on the day. Once I knew Sub 4 wasn't on, the new target was Sub 4.30.

A lesson learned is not to take garmin miles as gospel and run the racing line if possible :)

Yeah, start training the 1st of February is 18 weeks out. I must start my own log for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your time! It's such a buzz isn't it? 2 days later and it's all I'm thinking about. I suppose though my sore thighs are a reminder! :rolleyes::D

You looked so strong when I met you at the UCD flyover...I appreciated the encouragement and I did try to keep with you but I just couldn't keep the cramps away and no way was I going to slow you down which is why I told you to forget about me and keep running (I'm such a hero ;) )....I really am so happy for you to have run so well....:)

You looked so strong when I met you at the UCD flyover...I appreciated the encouragement and I did try to keep with you but I just couldn't keep the cramps away and no way was I going to slow you down which is why I told you to forget about me and keep running (I'm such a hero ;) )....I really am so happy for you to have run so well....:)

How are you now?

How are you now?

Wrecked.....As some of the stiffness goes from my legs I can actually feel the real pain in the bottom of my quads, bottom of my left hamstring and in particular my left calf....My upper body is knackered too as I had to pump my arms harder then ever before to try drive myself forwards with as little effort from my legs as possible....Looked though my video, looks good in the park, nice pace and all smiles....Walkinstown road is still good pace but looking more serious....Milltown is a joke....:eek:

Wrecked.....As some of the stiffness goes from my legs I can actually feel the real pain in the bottom of my quads, bottom of my left hamstring and in particular my left calf....My upper body is knackered too as I had to pump my arms harder then ever before to try drive myself forwards with as little effort from my legs as possible....Looked though my video, looks good in the park, nice pace and all smiles....Walkinstown road is still good pace but looking more serious....Milltown is a joke....:eek:

Barcelona?

• Advertisement

Barcelona?

Yes-ish.....One thing I'm not short of is determination (and vests and bananas :D ) not to be beaten.....I just have to be realistic (I'm nearly 50), not pushing myself back into another training schedule until all is repaired...

Advertisement