Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Yes-ish.....One thing I'm not short of is determination (and vests and bananas :D ) not to be beaten.....I just have to be realistic (I'm nearly 50), not pushing myself back into another training schedule until all is repaired...

Forget about age, you're in far better shape than most 25 year olds I know, and that's just the women :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on your time! It's such a buzz isn't it? 2 days later and it's all I'm thinking about. I suppose though my sore thighs are a reminder! :rolleyes::D

Well done you, you proved all those negative comments in your direction wrong, we knew you would. JC has got a cool running mum, excellent time aswell, go super mum.

You looked so strong when I met you at the UCD flyover...I appreciated the encouragement and I did try to keep with you but I just couldn't keep the cramps away and no way was I going to slow you down which is why I told you to forget about me and keep running (I'm such a hero ;) )....I really am so happy for you to have run so well....:)

You gave me such a fright you b****x, ha, no i knew you were in alot of pain when i went back. But infairness to you smashing time considering you couldn't walk when i met you. You weren't far behind us in the end.

Roll on your next marathon when you get those legs back in working order (plenty of rest for now). I can't wait to hear your real marathon report next time;)

God, how long is it since i posted here...a long time. It's a bit sad my log isn't so busy anymore:(

Anyway, came down with a monster of a cold on Friday, hadn't done any exercise since DCM up until then. Got out yesterday with my mum's 6 dogs to Punchestown Racecourse for a lovely long walk. God it was so nice to be back out in the air.
    Got to the last 1/2 mile and decided to jog slllllowly back to the gates. God everything aches, i felt fat, heavy and achy. Back in my new Brooks runners, breaking them in slowly. Even they didn't help.

Anyway, felt nice to get a short run in, hopefully this week increase the mileage slowly. Will be nice to run for the love and not because the schedule says so.

Plan for next year, who knows, Cork Marathon is in my head, Kildare Marathon and of course DCM 2011. But for now it's time to enjoy DCM 2010 and what will be will be.

Good luck to you all.

Oh forgot www.racepix.com have loads of marathon photo's up. Good luck to you trying to find yourself...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Snap on the cold JEmily!

Best of luck with the plans for 2011 :)

Is your second name Dolittle?

mrslow wrote: »
    Is your second name Dolittle?

But i'm sick:(

Just because i'm not nail less doesn't mean i'm not still hurting after DCM:p

JEmily wrote: »
    But i'm sick:(

Just because i'm not nail less doesn't mean i'm not still hurting after DCM:p

I meant as in Dr Dolittle with all the animals.:rolleyes:

Oh, having a blonde day obviously :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ah boss, You've an intellect rivaled only by garden tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ah boss, You've an intellect rivaled only by garden tools

As the Union representative for good honest working garden tools in Ireland I take exception to that remark....;)

As the Union representative for good honest working garden tools in Ireland I take exception to that remark....;)

Well then - she couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Well then - she couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

:D:D

:D:D

I'll have to bar the 2 of you kids off this thread...:rolleyes:;)

You're a meany mammy :P

You're a meany mammy :P

It's just all about booze with you......

So this weekend got in a lovely 8 miler on Saturday. Myself, my sister and my running buddy went. Was fab, we got soaked on way home in the rain, but the feeling of exercising and getting the oul limbs moving properly after DCM made the rain non-existant.

Sunday, got out for 4 miler, very flat route in Punchestown Racecourse. The ground surface was nice, chippings and mud track, so was nice on the limbs. So all in all i was pleased to be back to running work.

Hoping to walk aswell during the week and then co-ordinate back in the running side of things slowly. Especially as i'm wearing in my new runners AGAIN:rolleyes:

MUST TRY to stretch more again, i've got very lazy and don't stretch half as much as i used to when in training for DCM. Just cause i'm a marathon runner now is no excuse:p

Great running at the weekend JEmily :) Looks like you have no ill effects from the Marathon, which is great! What's the plan for Waterford?

RubyK wrote: »
    Great running at the weekend JEmily :) Looks like you have no ill effects from the Marathon, which is great! What's the plan for Waterford?

Thanks, it's taken me long enough to boot myself up the arse to get out again:p

When's waterford again?

Was just looking at my diary, so far my rough plan is:
    I have a charity 10K race on in near home, it’s on 27th November for charity. Will do that too as it’s local and a good cause.

Maybe the Aware Race start of December 2010.
    Kildare Marathon 15th May 2011 would slot in well with me. Or Cork 6th June could be good too instead of the Kildare Marathon.
    Then DCM again this year, definitely do the Half Marathon and Full.

• Advertisement

Still feel bit all over the place since DCM, my fitness is gone to pot. Tried my 8 miler going the hard way Saturday and i had to walk part of it which really irritated me:mad: Went out too fast aswell which didn't help!

Sunday made up for it on a speedy 4 miler, loved it, everything felt like it should!

Last night another speedy 5/6 miles, 8.5min/mil and i felt good. Nearly back to how i should feel on a short run. But my God it was cold last night starting...brrrr.

There's a few things coming up which is great motivation for me as i have none at mo. Charity mountain climb this Saturday, charity 10k run Sunday 28th Nov and i'd like to do something else before Christmas, maybe Aware 10K Race Sat 11th Dec. God knows i need the kick up the arse!!!

Jebas woman, don't be knocking your fitness, you are flying :eek: Those shorter faster runs will see you with shiney new 10K pb's for your upcoming races :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Are you not doing the half in Waterford?

Super run/pace last night!

Are you not doing the half in Waterford?

Super run/pace last night!

Well done yourself on your super PB. Your great and you have had great motivation even after DCM, i admire that!

I'm thinking about a Half alright, not sure yet, RubyK gave me the date so i'll have to see. Kindof just feel like ticking by at mo, no pressure, but i suppose something to work towards is always a bonus. We'll have to get MrSlow back into competition mode.

Digger is doing the Aware 10k i think the same date as Waterford in the Phoenix Park.

Are you doing Waterford?

Well done yourself on your super PB. Your great and you have had great motivation even after DCM, i admire that!

I'm thinking about a Half alright, not sure yet, RubyK gave me the date so i'll have to see. Kindof just feel like ticking by at mo, no pressure, but i suppose something to work towards is always a bonus. We'll have to get MrSlow back into competition mode.

Digger is doing the Aware 10k i think the same date as Waterford in the Phoenix Park.

Are you doing Waterford?

That's the plan alright....Jeez, the shorter faster stuff is killing me....I did 9 x 400 metres the other day at average mile of 6:31 and 4 miles yesterday at 7:04 per mile...Woke up this morning with a sore throat, my Daughter has had one for a couple of days and I brought her to the doc today as it looked nasty....Needless to say, although hers is clearly worse than mine I am feeling more sorry for myself whilst she gets on with things! ;)

Are you doing Waterford?

Yeah, I'm all signed up, raring to go! :D

That's the plan alright....Jeez, the shorter faster stuff is killing me....I did 9 x 400 metres the other day at average mile of 6:31 and 4 miles yesterday at 7:04 per mile...Woke up this morning with a sore throat, my Daughter has had one for a couple of days and I brought her to the doc today as it looked nasty....Needless to say, although hers is clearly worse than mine I am feeling more sorry for myself whilst she gets on with things! ;)

Jeez, that's a quick pace alright, especially with 'man flu'. :rolleyes: GO YOU! :D

Jeez, that's a quick pace alright, especially with 'man flu'. :rolleyes: GO YOU! :D

Haven't run since Monday...Cough...Splutter splutter....My sore throat has not gotten any worse but I have developed, as you suggest, man flu....I might run down the Greenhills Road tomorrow and report back on it as ''Man flu over the Cuckoo's Nest''...........................:o

Right, let me introduce myself:

I'm 29,

:D:D:D:D:D:pac:

• Advertisement

Haven't run since Monday...Cough...Splutter splutter....My sore throat has not gotten any worse but I have developed, as you suggest, man flu....I might run down the Greenhills Road tomorrow and report back on it as ''Man flu over the Cuckoo's Nest''...........................:o

:D:D:pac:
    So many things I could quip back.... all of course involving Nurse Ratched!

Advertisement