Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Marrona, McMillan predicts 4:59 based on that half time, and by October you'll be fitter and stronger. Nothing wrong with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

marrona wrote: »
    haven't thought too much about times. initially just wanted to finish. but now im coming to think, the rate im going...could finish in 5.5+ hours, which isn't good! :D the furthest i've done yet is 13.1 miles in a half marathon which i did in 2 hours 22...and i walked from mile 11-12 so really longest i've run in a row is 11 miles. 13 miles this sat on Hal's programme will be the test!

good luck with the rest of your training, sounds like you're flying!

13 Miles Saturday morning 9am Phoenix Park?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Marrona, McMillan predicts 4:59 based on that half time, and by October you'll be fitter and stronger. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Bloody right, that's a fantastic time!

Listen if i finish it jogging (no matter what speed) i've done myself proud. I always said "my aim was to finish jogging". Even if it's 10 hours jogging i don't care!

mrslow wrote: »
    13 Miles Saturday morning 9am Phoenix Park?:)

Go on Marrona, i'm dying to see if he's still as charming and witty on mile 13;)

JEmily wrote: »
    Go on Marrona, i'm dying to see if he's still as charming and witty on mile 13;)

Mr Slow goes red and replies - I'll be looking and sounding like I've just left a battlefield:o

• Advertisement

A nice 6.5 miles done last night, felt bit tight muscle-wise to start. Took a nice easy 10 minutes to warm-up aswell, made sure i wasn't going to tweak anything. Then pushed up my pace, i want my shorter runs to be bit quicker in pace to my LSR's, 70% effort a such.

6.5 miles, done in 57 mins.

Had mixed emotions on this run last night, weird, 4 miles in i was like, "why am i killing myself to do a marathon, why not just exercise for fun, why not just quit now". Then the last mile home it changed to, "i love running, i love the buzz, i'm feeling great, my legs feel good, i feel good". Talk about two minds...

A nice 6.5 miles done last night, felt bit tight muscle-wise to start. Took a nice easy 10 minutes to warm-up aswell, made sure i wasn't going to tweak anything. Then pushed up my pace, i want my shorter runs to be bit quicker in pace to my LSR's, 70% effort a such.

6.5 miles, done in 57 mins.

Had mixed emotions on this run last night, weird, 4 miles in i was like, "why am i killing myself to do a marathon, why not just exercise for fun, why not just quit now". Then the last mile home it changed to, "i love running, i love the buzz, i'm feeling great, my legs feel good, i feel good". Talk about two minds...

I know exactly what you mean but imagine how much of that will happen on race day. When I quit smoking the hardest part wasn't the physical cravings it was battling with myself, at my weakest I could hear a sweet voice saying 'now you've proved you can quit - have a smoke to celebrate'

The marathon will be the same ie 21 miles is loads, go home and have a beer!:D

Mr Slow goes red and replies - I'll be looking and sounding like I've just left a battlefield:o

I'm going to get fired from loooking at your comments on my computer screen and laughing. My work colleagues think i'm going mad...

I'm going to get fired from loooking at your comments on my computer screen and laughing. My work colleagues think i'm going mad...

They must be a serious bunch - tell them it's Friday.......they may not know:)

Well how did the tri go?:D

• Advertisement

Morning,

We won it:D, my Team was brilliant.

Was absolutely brilliant, fab day aswell on Saturday aswell. Soooo enjoyable.

Although i thought it would be a doddle, no way, was exhausted after the short row, then had to cycle, then the last part (the jogging) think i finally felt comfortable and flew. But the old legs were wobbling a bit after the cycle, had to give them a few mins to get the blood back into my toes.

I'd actaully do another one, but my butt muscles are still sore today.

WELL? Come on, how you get on in the park? What mileage you do? How many more miles have i to do to catch up with ya:(?

Have my BIG 30th Birthday Party bash on this weekend, very nervous, what if noone turns up, ha:eek: Hope the weather stays good, or at least for Friday.

So this week is another sort of step back (which fits in with the plan thank God!). Will re-arrange the training as had rest day off yesterday hungover. So will get stuck in from tonight with the 3m, Tues 7m, Wed 4m and 10m the weekend at some stage.

I'm already looking at next 2 weeks plans, a 15m and 16m the following week. Wowzers (shouldn't really be looking that far ahead!) but i'm freaked out already:(

Morning,

We won it:D, my Team was brilliant.

Was absolutely brilliant, fab day aswell on Saturday aswell. Soooo enjoyable.

Although i thought it would be a doddle, no way, was exhausted after the short row, then had to cycle, then the last part (the jogging) think i finally felt comfortable and flew. But the old legs were wobbling a bit after the cycle, had to give them a few mins to get the blood back into my toes.

I'd actaully do another one, but my butt muscles are still sore today.

WELL? Come on, how you get on in the park? What mileage you do? How many more miles have i to do to catch up with ya:(?

I finished up at 13.5 miles ish, the run went great we just chatted the whole way through and I hardly noticed the miles fly by. Well done on the tri - we're on the same plan so my 10 mile will be 9am sat morning if that suits? Hoping to rope in a few more over the next few weeks.:D

I finished up at 13.5 miles ish, the run went great we just chatted the whole way through and I hardly noticed the miles fly by. Well done on the tri - we're on the same plan so my 10 mile will be 9am sat morning if that suits? Hoping to rope in a few more over the next few weeks.:D

WELL WELL DONE, i want some running buddies to chat to:(

I've my own birthday party on Friday night so i doubt i'll be up for running a mile or less Saturday morning somehow.

Hoping to do the 10m Saturday evening or Sunday morning early. Realistically it will be Sunday i'd say.

Hopefully all the triathlons and parties will be out of the way after this weekend so will do the Park run with you lot next weekend. God actually that will be a 15 miler so...you ready?

WELL WELL DONE, i want some running buddies to chat to:(

I've my own birthday party on Friday night so i doubt i'll be up for running a mile or less Saturday morning somehow.

Hoping to do the 10m Saturday evening or Sunday morning early. Realistically it will be Sunday i'd say.

Hopefully all the triathlons and parties will be out of the way after this weekend so will do the Park run with you lot next weekend. God actually that will be a 15 miler so...you ready?

Happy Birthday! Are you dreading 30 or welcoming it?

If my groin hadn't started acting up I'd have run 15 with Chinguetti on Saturday, I can't wait to get up into the 'big' mileage.

I have a map of the DCM course in my office and every time I hit a target I mark it off, I'm now up to the Walkinstown roundabout and so have more than half the course done, it really helps with confidence about the actual race if that makes sense.:)

You're still ahead of me at 14 by the way;)

Happy Birthday! Are you dreading 30 or welcoming it?

If my groin hadn't started acting up I'd have run 15 with Chinguetti on Saturday, I can't wait to get up into the 'big' mileage.

I have a map of the DCM course in my office and every time I hit a target I mark it off, I'm now up to the Walkinstown roundabout and so have more than half the course done, it really helps with confidence about the actual race if that makes sense.:)

You're still ahead of me at 14 by the way;)

Oh my God how did you know, i'm absolutely dreading it. I've been in denial the past year it was coming. I'm a twin so unfortunately i didn't even want a party to advertise the dreaded birthday. But now i'm stuck!

Anyway, i'm sure i'll enjoy it:mad:, not!

That's a really good idea marking on the route your going to be doing on the competition day, how cool. Must do that. Although even the numbers going on the LSR's every week is enough motivation for me. Since even 1 mile was alot this time last year!

No, now don't be doing 15's without me, just cause your feeling all good with yourself, i feel crappy cause i'm nearly 30. Ha!

Oh my God how did you know, i'm absolutely dreading it. I've been in denial the past year it was coming. I'm a twin so unfortunately i didn't even want a party to advertise the dreaded birthday. But now i'm stuck!

Anyway, i'm sure i'll enjoy it:mad:, not!

That's a really good idea marking on the route your going to be doing on the competition day, how cool. Must do that. Although even the numbers going on the LSR's every week is enough motivation for me. Since even 1 mile was alot this time last year!

No, now don't be doing 15's without me, just cause your feeling all good with yourself, i feel crappy cause i'm nearly 30. Ha!

I wouldn't dream of it! Relax and enjoy your birthday for soon you will be a marathoner!

"Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty.":D

I can't imagine what I'll be like at thirty.

Just kidding, 30 is in the past for me:( you're only a child really!

Just kidding, 30 is in the past for me:( you're only a child really!

I thought you were *slightly*;) past the 30 mark, but i just wanted to let you have a couple of moments there pretending you were still only a nipper...:D

:P

I thought you were *slightly*;) past the 30 mark, but i just wanted to let you have a couple of moments there pretending you were still only a nipper...:D

:P

I am still a nipper! It's just my age that seems to be getting away from me:)

Inside I'm 19.

• Advertisement

Inside I'm 19.

I'd well believe it, i would have thought you were definitely 19, young at heart, that's my new motto

Have you done the whole podcast thing, i haven't a clue. Is it good? I have an MP3 player and ipod but normally run without anything.

I'd well believe it, i would have thought you were definitely 19, young at heart, that's my new motto

Have you done the whole podcast thing, i haven't a clue. Is it good? I have an MP3 player and ipod but normally run without anything.

Nope, I think I'd lose something if I were lost in music/podcast, I love running in the countryside or the park taking it all in plus I flick through 6 CD's in the car back and forth while driving so if I had an Ipod while running I'd probably go nuts:D

Bit of a cold on me, hopefully it goes asap, too much to do, jogging plans, birthday parties, not a good week to be sick...

3m done last night, in the *issing of rain. Anyway, was nice once i got out. No times specified i actually pushed myself and my legs to go at a good pace around 85% effort. Find it helps to kick start my legs for the longer runs.

Met a new running buddy at the Triathlon last Saturday. So we're now running together. Actually was nice to chat and made the run so much quicker. Although if he starts to get fitter and quicker than me there'll be slaps. Ha!

7m tonight, hopefully it stays dry, want to do a bit of Fartlek tonight. Forgot to do it last week, kills me to death but it does help when your hitting those hills on mile 14.

Bit of a cold on me, hopefully it goes asap, too much to do, jogging plans, birthday parties, not a good week to be sick...

3m done last night, in the *issing of rain. Anyway, was nice once i got out. No times specified i actually pushed myself and my legs to go at a good pace around 85% effort. Find it helps to kick start my legs for the longer runs.

Met a new running buddy at the Triathlon last Saturday. So we're now running together. Actually was nice to chat and made the run so much quicker. Although if he starts to get fitter and quicker than me there'll be slaps. Ha!

7m tonight, hopefully it stays dry, want to do a bit of Fartlek tonight. Forgot to do it last week, kills me to death but it does help when your hitting those hills on mile 14.

What time are you aiming for?

What time are you aiming for?

I don't know, didn't think i'd be able to jog 10 miles without killing myself. But i suppose if i done my 14 miles in 2h05m (8.9min/mile), would i be in the 4hour/4.30 bracket? I don't know as doing 14 miles is nothing compared to a full marathon, like can i sustain that pace for the duration of a marathon???

I don't know, didn't think i'd be able to jog 10 miles without killing myself. But i suppose if i done my 14 miles in 2h05m (8.9min/mile), would i be in the 4hour/4.30 bracket? I don't know as doing 14 miles is nothing compared to a full marathon, like can i sustain that pace for the duration of a marathon???

You put yourself down too easily, I run my LSR's slow, I run my 3 milers at a comfortable pace and 7 miles will come in under the hour. I haven't concerned myself with fartlek etc because my aim is simply to complete the race.

Now I'm wondering am I doing enough:o, thanks Emily:mad:

And stop calling it jogging, I read there is a distinct difference - joggers have no pace/time/distance to concern themselves with wheras runners are the opposite, we are RUNNERS aiming to achieve a specific target;) :D no matter how slow

You put yourself down too easily, I run my LSR's slow, I run my 3 milers at a comfortable pace and 7 miles will come in under the hour. I haven't concerned myself with fartlek etc because my aim is simply to complete the race.

Now I'm wondering am I doing enough:o, thanks Emily:mad:

And stop calling it jogging, I read there is a distinct difference - joggers have no pace/time/distance to concern themselves with wheras runners are the opposite, we are RUNNERS aiming to achieve a specific target;) :D

Ha, are we runners? Wow, we do sound important! Ha

I am by no means qualified here, but i do get some fab advice here and also a good friend of mine completed a few Ironmen Triathlons. He's been fab with pointers, but he told me to do a session a week with Fartlek. And i swear to God (i'm not looking for good times, i just want to finish) but i felt the next time out my legs felt much stronger and my breathing etc. the same. I've only done one session so could have been just pure chance but he said, "they are brilliant for any RUNNER, competition or leisure pace".
    He's also kicked my butt a few times and made me do the 14 miler last Tues. He was right i was dilly-dallying a bit. I was well able for the 14 just arsing around. I need to be pushed!

You seem to be progressing fine so your on schedule plus your meeting up with a few others on here on the weekends, some of these have run a few marathons, they are who know their stuff - so in my opinion that's all the motivation you need! Your doing fab.

P.S. another thing alot of people i'm meeting now training for the marathon are not eating enough or eating a good diet. Some of them want to lose weight but they won't eat well before their long runs etc. So how do they expect to keep going and also feel good at the end! Nutrition is soooo important.

P.P.S. OK, i'll bring you out on a little Fartlek session, then see if it helps you or not. If not, you can fire me...:P

Ha, are we runners? Wow, we do sound important! Ha

I am by no means qualified here, but i do get some fab advice here and also a good friend of mine completed a few Ironmen Triathlons. He's been fab with pointers, but he told me to do a session a week with Fartlek. And i swear to God (i'm not looking for good times, i just want to finish) but i felt the next time out my legs felt much stronger and my breathing etc. the same. I've only done one session so could have been just pure chance but he said, "they are brilliant for any RUNNER, competition or leisure pace".
    He's also kicked my butt a few times and made me do the 14 miler last Tues. He was right i was dilly-dallying a bit. I was well able for the 14 just arsing around. I need to be pushed!

You seem to be progressing fine so your on schedule plus your meeting up with a few others on here on the weekends, some of these have run a few marathons, they are who know their stuff - so in my opinion that's all the motivation you need! Your doing fab.

P.S. another thing alot of people i'm meeting now training for the marathon are not eating enough or eating a good diet. Some of them want to lose weight but they won't eat well before their long runs etc. So how do they expect to keep going and also feel good at the end! Nutrition is soooo important.

P.P.S. OK, i'll bring you out on a little Fartlek session, then see if it helps you or not. If not, you can fire me...:P

Are you coming up on Sunday for this weeks run? I pushed it out because of the 10 mile race on Saturday. (Don't forget your passport)

i'll give the fartlek a go maybe next week - I don't want to push my luck with my knee just yet:)
    I'm not in this to lose weight - in fact I've put some on since i started training:D I suppose I'm doing this because i had become quite unfit and had to make a lifestyle change. Back in April I couldn't run a half mile and on Saturday last I ran 13.5 with more in the tank plus it pretty cool to have run a marathon.
    My daughter keeps asking how long a marathon is (she's 5) and I think even she's getting bored of me talking about it - thank God for boards:D

Are you coming up on Sunday for this weeks run? I pushed it out because of the 10 mile race on Saturday. (Don't forget your passport)

i'll give the fartlek a go maybe next week - I don't want to push my luck with my knee just yet:)
    I'm not in this to lose weight - in fact I've put some on since i started training:D I suppose I'm doing this because i had become quite unfit and had to make a lifestyle change. Back in April I couldn't run a half mile and on Saturday last I ran 13.5 with more in the tank plus it pretty cool to have run a marathon.
    My daughter keeps asking how long a marathon is (she's 5) and I think even she's getting bored of me talking about it - thank God for boards:D

Well i originally started jogging to lose some weight (not alot in fairness) then i progressed to getting fitter and now i don't know, i'm all about the thrill of meeting another milestone. Love following the plan as it's lovely to nail another LSR.
    Your daughter and myself are very alike, i keep forgetting how far it is aswell, until i'm reminded of what i'm letting myself in for. Make sure she's on your home run towards the finsh line, you can take her over the line with you, she'll love it! Maybe best to keep forgetting about it until the day i'm finished;)

Oh your doing Sunday this week, i think i've been bought tickets for the GAA final so not sure i can do both. The following week i'm back to normal life so i should be fine to meet up with you all. Although i'll need directions and a passport, i haven't been in the phoenix park since i was a kid!

Think i'm heading to that place Amphibian King, is that the place you recommended for new runners? I've been giving hints for the last 6 months that i want new runners for my birthday, ha:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Oh my God how did you know, i'm absolutely dreading it. I've been in denial the past year it was coming.

I was the same (nearly 4 years ago). Dreaded the big day, but, it's only a number. TBH, I'm much preferring my 30's to my 20's. Hell, I only got the confidence to start running outdoors last year (was far too self conscious for many years), and it's one of the best things I've ever done.

So, my advice is enjoy the celebrations, and look forward to joining the 30's club :D

Advertisement