Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    I just read it, wow, am soooo delighted, i was nearly losing my wing man. I knew you'd be fine;)

She sounds brill. Makes a nice change that she didn't force any products down your throat either. Just done the rehab.

I'm heading into your recommendation on Thursday evening to get my new runners, runways. I can't wait for new runners, how sad am i:o

Saturday hopeing to meet you guys at 9am, for our next big milestone, 15 miles...we HAVE to nail this one, i know we will!!! Bring it on!

She's basically told me she'll get me over the line, has run 3 marathons herself and has just boosted my confidence in one sitting.

I love getting new runners so I'm equally sad:D

With regard to 15 - It's ONLY 15 - we own that!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

mrslow wrote: »
    She's basically told me she'll get me over the line, has run 3 marathons herself and has just boosted my confidence in one sitting.

I love getting new runners so I'm equally sad:D

With regard to 15 - It's ONLY 15 - we own that!

I've booked in with her for tonight, i've a dodgy right ankle that i'm minding. Seems to be ok so far, few niggles but nothing major, but my dad (who's done a few marathons in his day) said i should just get it checked before i enter unknown territory with 15+ miles LSR's. He's right. Would you believe she's in the same place i used to get sports massage. So very handy. I'll let you know how i get on, hope she's doesn't crush any dreams.

Totally, here, here, we'll smash that 15 on Saturday:cool:

I've booked in with her for tonight, i've a dodgy right ankle that i'm minding. Seems to be ok so far, few niggles but nothing major, but my dad (who's done a few marathons in his day) said i should just get it checked before i enter unknown territory with 15+ miles LSR's. He's right. Would you believe she's in the same place i used to get sports massage. So very handy. I'll let you know how i get on, hope she's doesn't crush any dreams.

Totally, here, here, we'll smash that 15 on Saturday:cool:

Make sure and tell her I sent you!

She's fantastic, from the kick off it was 'we'll get you there' she's even loaning me a foam roller to see if I like using it.

7.8 miles done last night. Chose the VERY hilly route, quite surprised that i felt good, no i felt REALLY good. Everything seemed to be light again. I did time it but i can't remember, think i just enjoyed it too much. I'm amazed how my fitness is improving all the time. I hope it continues...

On a negative note, my poor new running buddy is in agony today. Think he hurt his ankle (and he said his body is in bits too - am hoping this is a joke!), nothing major i don't think, but i feel a bit guilty today as i'm sortof his mentor now. I haven't a clue what i'm doing but i suppose alot more info than he has. So hopefully he'll be on mend tomorrow:(

My list of to do's for DCM prep:
    Start taking Glucosamine (check, started last week)
    Visit physio, get right ankle checked (check, booked in for tonight)
    Purchase new runners (check, going to Runways tomorrow night)
    Need to get back massage at some stage, my shoulders are all tense and knotted
    Get back to Pilates once a week (have missed last 2 weeks), my core is non-existant now
    Try get rid of this poxy cold and get back to good healthy eating after last weekend
    Lastly, i'm going to treat myself after the next few LSR's, whether it's a facial etc. It's my motivation.

Think that's it...for now;)

7.8 miles done last night. Chose the VERY hilly route, quite surprised that i felt good, no i felt REALLY good. Everything seemed to be light again. I did time i but i can't remember, think i just enjoyed it too much. I'm amazed how my fitness is improving all the time. I hope it continues...

On a negative note, my poor new running buddy is in agony today. Think he hurt his ankle (and he said his body is in bits too - am hoping this is a joke!), nothing major i don't think, but i feel a bit guilty today as i'm sortof his mentor now. I haven't a clue what i'm doing but i suppose alot more info than he has. So hopefully he'll be on mend tomorrow:(

My list of to do's for DCM prep:
    Start taking Glucosamine (check, started last week)
    Visit physio, get right ankle checked (check, booked in for tonight)
    Purchase new runners (check, going to Runways tomorrow night)
    Need to get back massage at some stage, my shoulders are all tense and knotted
    Get back to Pilates once a week (have missed last 2 weeks), my core is non-existant now
    Try get rid of this poxy cold and get back to good healthy eating after last weekend
    Lastly, i'm going to treat myself after the next few LSR's, whether it's a facial etc. It's my motivation.

Think that's it...for now;)

Poor Guy! you wore him out ;);););););););)

• Advertisement

Poor Guy! you wore him out ;);););););););)

Stop, i feel terrible already:(

I'll told her last night you sent me, although she'll probably ask again tonight, she sounded busy. She sounds fab, hopefully she'll give me the green light. Especially after this week, i feel really good!

Stop, i feel terrible already:(

I'll told her last night you sent me, although she'll probably ask again tonight, she sounded busy. She sounds fab, hopefully she'll give me the green light. Especially after this week, i feel really good!

I got back on to Runways to order my preferred generation of Mizuno's to finally get confirmation that the ones I'm in might well be part of the problem, gonna wear my old ones again with a support on both knees for the rest of the week, will look like the walking wounded but sure wa harm:D

If your running buddy isn't as experienced as you, should he be taking on big mileage?

I got back on to Runways to order my preferred generation of Mizuno's to finally get confirmation that the ones I'm in might well be part of the problem, gonna wear my old ones again with a support on both knees for the rest of the week, will look like the walking wounded but sure wa harm:D

If your running buddy isn't as experienced as you, should he be taking on big mileage?

Who put you in the runners you were wearing now? And who told you to change back to the old one's? At least your sorting all of this out now, not down the line at 20 mile LSR. It's all good!

He done the 10 miler himself last weekend so is well able. Think obviously i'm a sucker for punishment and maybe he wasn't doing any of the hill work i was. Ah he'll be fine, probably just needs some TLC from his mammy and a kick up the arse from his running buddy;) No pain no gain...terrible aren't i!!!

Who put you in the runners you were wearing now? And who told you to change back to the old one's? At least your sorting all of this out now, not down the line at 20 mile LSR. It's all good!

He done the 10 miler himself last weekend so is well able. Think obviously i'm a sucker for punishment and maybe he wasn't doing any of the hill work i was. Ah he'll be fine, probably just needs some TLC from his mammy and a kick up the arse from his running buddy;) No pain no gain...terrible aren't i!!!

Maybe it's the reverse he needs, don't be so tough :mad:

I rang around for my Mizunos last month and Amphibian King were the only ones who had them, when I got there they were the previous generation and I was told they were pretty much the same (not) I should have held out, but was excited about my new runners :D I'm 60 miles into them and don't have the energy to go back and argue.

Right, so physio gave the nod to proceed ahead last night. She was very encouraging and act5ually got me a bit excited about the day. Haven't really talked about THE day as such with anyone. Some strengthening exercises and some dutch courage was dished out last night. Felt quite happy heading home.

Got home and headed out for my 4m. Timed it but i was bit sluggish. I had nothing in my system food-wise from 1pm lunch and i was very late getting out last night after the physio. Felt a bit tired and no energy, but kept going. Knew it was a short one.
    4 miles = 34 minutes, 8.5 min miles.

That's me finished until Saturday for the 15 miler.

Hoping to follow this LSR with an 18 miler the following weekend and then taper back the next 2 LSR's with 12m and half marathon following LSR. This will allow me to get in my 18 miler and also compete in the Half Marathon. I'll see how i get on with 15 this weekend and then i'll know if i'm ok for the 18 next weekend.

• Advertisement

Right, so physio gave the nod to proceed ahead last night. She was very encouraging and act5ually got me a bit excited about the day. Haven't really talked about THE day as such with anyone. Some strengthening exercises and some dutch courage was dished out last night. Felt quite happy heading home.

Got home and headed out for my 4m. Timed it but i was bit sluggish. I had nothing in my system food-wise from 1pm lunch and i was very late getting out last night after the physio. Felt a bit tired and no energy, but kept going. Knew it was a short one.
    4 miles = 34 minutes, 8.5 min miles.

That's me finished until Saturday for the 15 miler.

Hoping to follow this LSR with an 18 miler the following weekend and then taper back the next 2 LSR's with 12m and half marathon following LSR. This will allow me to get in my 18 miler and also compete in the Half Marathon. I'll see how i get on with 15 this weekend and then i'll know if i'm ok for the 18 next weekend.

She's really encouraging isn't she?

That plan sounds good, I was going to do 15/16.5/18 and then the half as a taper before 20 but yours makes more sense:D

Right so, went into Runways last night (thanks mrslow) after work. My sister came along and my running buddy.

Anyway, they were soooo nice. Tiny place and mad busy but alot of nice training gear and fab selection of runners. Anyway, we were all put onto the treadmill with no runners just our socks to see our running gait. Ended up with a pair of Mizuno's (think they were glide) and a pair of Brooks Infinity. Was delighted as to be honest i wanted to get away from the Asics Kayano. I think the last 2 pairs have gone downhill and i hate the cross lacing idea.

Anyway, the Mizuno's seemed to be really spongy and comfortable, bar they were sooo wide at the front. Felt a bit loose and a bit floppy. The Brooks felt really neat, for my slim foot, not as spongy as the Mizuno's. But i got on their treadmill in both to see. Definitely the Brooks, felt part of my foot.

Unfortunately they were out of my size, will take 5 days to come in:( But i don't mind waiting once they are right. My sister also went for Brooks, the Adrenaline model. She's an avid fan of Asics, so will be interesting to see how she gets on...

I'd recommend anyone to go into them, the staff are lovely. They even gave us 10% off the total bill:) I also got a running belt for putting all my gels, bars, keys, phone etc. in. Couldn't find a nice pair of thick running socks, but i'll keep any eye out for those myself.

Right so, went into Runways last night (thanks mrslow) after work. My sister came along and my running buddy.

Anyway, they were soooo nice. Tiny place and mad busy but alot of nice training gear and fab selection of runners. Anyway, we were all put onto the treadmill with no runners just our socks to see our running gait. Ended up with a pair of Mizuno's (think they were glide) and a pair of Brooks Infinity. Was delighted as to be honest i wanted to get away from the Asics Kayano. I think the last 2 pairs have gone downhill and i hate the cross lacing idea.

Anyway, the Mizuno's seemed to be really spongy and comfortable, bar they were sooo wide at the front. Felt a bit loose and a bit floppy. The Brooks felt really neat, for my slim foot, not as spongy as the Mizuno's. But i got on their treadmill in both to see. Definitely the Brooks, felt part of my foot.

Unfortunately they were out of my size, will take 5 days to come in:( But i don't mind waiting once they are right. My sister also went for Brooks, the Adrenaline model. She's an avid fan of Asics, so will be interesting to see how she gets on...

I'd recommend anyone to go into them, the staff are lovely. They even gave us 10% off the total bill:) I also got a running belt for putting all my gels, bars, keys, phone etc. in. Couldn't find a nice pair of thick running socks, but i'll keep any eye out for those myself.

I haven't put you wrong yet;), I'm delighted you got on so well. They are posting me out my new Mizuno's - 'Happy Days are here again, tra la la la........'

I haven't put you wrong yet;), I'm delighted you got on so well. They are posting me out my new Mizuno's - 'Happy Days are here again, tra la la la........'

"YET", ha!

Everyone is in great form today, must be the sunshine and it's FRIDAY. Yippee. Pity hadn't got the new runners for tomorrow (even though i'd need to break them in first!) but i'll be breaking them well in for our next big milestone.

You looking forward to tomorrow, i am, although for once i won't have a clue where i'm going, i so like to know where i'm going. Ah well, do you know how many are going?

We have 3 now in our gang...

"YET", ha!

Everyone is in great form today, must be the sunshine and it's FRIDAY. Yippee. Pity hadn't got the new runners for tomorrow (even though i'd need to break them in first!) but i'll be breaking them well in for our next big milestone.

You looking forward to tomorrow, i am, although for once i won't have a clue where i'm going, i so like to know where i'm going. Ah well, do you know how many are going?

We have 3 now in our gang...

About 9/10 people have shown interest so we'll see who turns up, The Wexican has a Garmin so he'll be able to track pace and shout out mile markers along the way. The Park is great to run in - no traffic lights, lots of trees and hills - you might even see a few deer as we're covering a good bit of it.

Don't be late!!!!

Don't be late!!!!

Who me, never, (you know me too well already!)

Forgot to mention but Lidl have Running Gear in today. Socks and Reflective Band look like really good value especially if your jogging on main roads/early mornings/late evenings etc.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100830.index

Update:

15 miles completed in roughly 2.5 hours. All went well, felt the thighs a bit weak towards the end. But was happy and the company along the way was fab. Was nice to run in a group, meet such a lovely group of people and share tips/hints. Thanks everyone, hope i didn't burn the ears of anyone too much:o

Went to the Seaweed Baths in Strandhill Saturday evening and my God did it work to detox and relieve my legs. They were tired and stiff when we got there, but after the steam room and bath they were as good as new. Even wore high heels out Saturday night:p

18 miles this weekend, it will be tough, i'm feeling it now. Anything up to the 15 miles i was finding fine. I knew it would get harder and now is my hard.

Also, i had the debate on, "will i stick to plan and run a 20 miler and then leave it at that for the DCM". But i think i want to do roughly 22, i want to KNOW i can nail the DCM, 20 miles is leaving a bit of a question mark for me. So i think my 20 might be a mile or two more for my own sanity...

Yesterday was due to be a rest day but my running buddy is starting his schedule a day earlier as he's going to Electric Picnic. Anyway, so i headed out on our 4m last night.

I was so stiff in the stretch before the run, especially quads. Anyway, the run itself was heavy for first mile, then i actually quite enjoyed it. tried to keep good pace, especially for my shorter runs. Didn't time it, just enjoyed it.

Can't wait for my new runners, please God they'll be in today or tomorrow. realistically it will probably be Thursday:mad:

My new topic today is FOOD and SLEEP:
    Granted 2 of my favourite things in the world BUT
    I'm finding since Saturday's LSR of 15 miles that i can't stop sleeping. Not during the day but at night/getting up in the morning. I've gone to bed early last 2 nights and i can't seem to wake up fresh the next day. Weird, i've always been a morning person:confused:
    My other issue is i'm eating for Ireland. I can't stop eating stodgy foods, breads, cereals, sweet/savory things. Had my dinner last night after 4m run and still wasn't satisfied. Ended up eating brown bread, cheddar cheese and then cereal after my dinner. This morning had my brekkie, (yep you guessed it!), still not satisified, had another breakfast. Wonder if the training is finally catching up on my metabolism/sleep:confused:

Anyway, enough of that, off for a strong coffee, that should sort me out, i hope!

Yesterday was due to be a rest day but my running buddy is starting his schedule a day earlier as he's going to Electric Picnic. Anyway, so i headed out on our 4m last night.

I was so stiff in the stretch before the run, especially quads. Anyway, the run itself was heavy for first mile, then i actually quite enjoyed it. tried to keep good pace, especially for my shorter runs. Didn't time it, just enjoyed it.

Can't wait for my new runners, please God they'll be in today or tomorrow. realistically it will probably be Thursday:mad:

My new topic today is FOOD and SLEEP:
    Granted 2 of my favourite things in the world BUT
    I'm finding since Saturday's LSR of 15 miles that i can't stop sleeping. Not during the day but at night/getting up in the morning. I've gone to bed early last 2 nights and i can't seem to wake up fresh the next day. Weird, i've always been a morning person:confused:
    My other issue is i'm eating for Ireland. I can't stop eating stodgy foods, breads, cereals, sweet/savory things. Had my dinner last night after 4m run and still wasn't satisfied. Ended up eating brown bread, cheddar cheese and then cereal after my dinner. This morning had my brekkie, (yep you guessed it!), still not satisified, had another breakfast. Wonder if the training is finally catching up on my metabolism/sleep:confused:

Anyway, enough of that, off for a strong coffee, that should sort me out, i hope!

I know exactly what you mean, I'm having lunch now at 11:35 because I couldn't wait, and when I go to bed - I go into a coma until a certain little miss arrives in at 7am ordering me to make room while she searches for the tv remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This is entirely normal, don't worry. It happens to most people at this stage of training.

This is entirely normal, don't worry. It happens to most people at this stage of training.

Will we see you on Saturday RK?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will we see you on Saturday RK?

Quite possibly! I'm planning on doing 16 this weekend too.

Thank god for that cause i can't stop!!! I'm hungry again here now, mad!

Right, after smiley-eatdrink020.gif for Ireland the last 2 days, i went out on my 8 mile run last night. Felt a bit less motivated than ever before, tired and a bit lazy. Really wanted to sit on the sofa and relax for the night. Anyway, got through the 8 miles, actually done it at a good pace 69mins. But it was a serious struggle, and i mean serious.

Anyway, hopefully i'll be back to my normal motivated self tonight. Don't feel half as tired this morning either - which is a major plus. And i actually felt full after my breakfast this morning, which is also another plus.

Hey ho, hey ho, it's off to work we go...

Right, after smiley-eatdrink020.gif for Ireland the last 2 days, i went out on my 8 mile run last night. Felt a bit less motivated than ever before, tired and a bit lazy. Really wanted to sit on the sofa and relax for the night. Anyway, got through the 8 miles, actually done it at a good pace 69mins. But it was a serious struggle, and i mean serious.

Anyway, hopefully i'll be back to my normal motivated self tonight. Don't feel half as tired this morning either - which is a major plus. And i actually felt full after my breakfast this morning, which is also another plus.

Hey ho, hey ho, it's off to work we go...

Well done, someones chirpy this morning!

Your order is complete!

Details:
    1 x
    Lifestyle Sports adidas Race Series - €98.00
    SKU: series-2010

Thank you for entering the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Race Series.

You have entered Adidas Dublin Half Marathon.

Thank you for entering the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Dublin Marathon.

Just entered and the reality is setting in and how much the time will fly until D (DCM) Day.

*edited to say: not so chirpy now!

Your order is complete!

Details:
    1 x
    Lifestyle Sports adidas Race Series - €98.00
    SKU: series-2010

Thank you for entering the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Race Series.

You have entered Adidas Dublin Half Marathon.

Thank you for entering the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Dublin Marathon.

Just entered and the reality is setting in and how much the time will fly until D (DCM) Day.

*edited to say: not so chirpy now!

Now you have to do it! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

4m done this evening, 34 minutes. Felt a bit tired again, but knew it was a short one. Tried to keep it at ticking along speed. I won't deny i was knackered when i got home.

Thank God i'm finished my short runs now for the week now. Facial tomorrow (cause i so deserve it!) and just found out i'm being brought out for dinner tomorrow night as another treat! Happy days:)

So here's to 2 days rest and a stinker of an 18 miler on Saturday...cheers!!!

• Advertisement

Had my facial last night (zzzzz), was fab. Although for the first half hour my mind was racing. I was thinking about running, what my next weeks plan was etc. Bit mad! But after that i finally relaxed and enjoyed it.

Went out for dinner, was fab again, great thing is you can now finish every bite on the dinner table and still have plenty of room for dessert. MUST...STOP...EATING, sometime soon:( Still have the, "i can't get full for longer than an hour mode". I hoping it will pass soon:mad:

18 Miler tomorrow - :eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement