Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hope your runners arrive today! All set for the morning???

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

mrslow wrote: »
    Hope your runners arrive today! All set for the morning???

I hope so...on both counts...18 is going to be tough, i'm realistic! Legs bit tight still from weekday short runs. Will stretch give them good stretch tonight and tomorrow. Carb up today, i'm getting pasta for lunch as if i eat too much carbs at dinner i end up with stomach cramps.

JEmily wrote: »
    I hope so...on both counts...18 is going to be tough, i'm realistic! Legs bit tight still from weekday short runs. Will stretch give them good stretch tonight and tomorrow. Carb up today, i'm getting pasta for lunch as if i eat too much carbs at dinner i end up with stomach cramps.

I'm off to O'Briens shortly for my daily heartattack in a triple decker sandwich mmmm

19m LSR done yesterday, 3h10m. Really enjoyed it, slight niggles with dodgy ankle towards the end. But it hung on.

Came home and got a cold bath and then warm bath. Walked up to feed horses, 5 mins to loosen out. Then out for dinner but couldn't walk properly.

Woke up this morning and i thought i would be in agony, but low and behold i felt fine. Think the cold bath done the trick. Went for 45mins of gentle cycle, really enjoyed it.

All in all, happy weekend, on a major buzz, 19 MILES...wowzers:D.

Em, thank God it's a rest day today. That rain won't stop EVER:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

hi jemily,
    thanks for the message about greek yoghurt etc, im going to buy loads of fruit and try it for brekkie tomorrow. i did a 5 mile run on sunday after the 19 miler and i though it was going to be horrific , but it was grand

Anyhoo i bought asics kayano running shoes and a few running t shirts to motivate me ,
    watch out half marathon!

nachoqueen wrote: »
    hi jemily,
    thanks for the message about greek yoghurt etc, im going to buy loads of fruit and try it for brekkie tomorrow. i did a 5 mile run on sunday after the 19 miler and i though it was going to be horrific , but it was grand

Anyhoo i bought asics kayano running shoes and a few running t shirts to motivate me ,
    watch out half marathon!

You won't look back on the fruit and greek yougert.

Look at you with your 5m run on Sunday, i done a 45 min cycle, and i mean gentle cycle and that's as energetic as i got for the day.

You have to buy yourself something to motivate you along the way, i got a facial as a treat last week. This week my runners are in, so that's my treat for this week. Oh new tops, i soo need a few too. I want new running socks, so that's on the next treat list and maybe a few tops too;)

Let me know how you get on in the Kayano's, they are a great runner, my whole family runs in them for the last 10 years. I didn't like the last design so am delighted to be switching to Brooks. I'm nervous switching over and the Asics are so good. Just not the right fit for my foot with their newest version.

Enjoy.

"I'm soooooooo excited and i just can't hide it, oh no no no no", and no it's not thank crunchie it's Friday, even better my NEW BROOKS RUNNERS ARE READY FOR COLLECTION:D:D:D:D.

How sad am i. Road testing later on, i've never been so eager to get out on an 8m run.

On another less excited note i'm off on holidays tomorrow for a week. Not so excited as i'm afraid it will hamper my training. i know it won't but just going so well don't want to change anything including locations etc. Anyway, on a plus i can cuddle and snuggle my Brooks Runners on holiday for a whole week.

ICONATOR_90709f75d498d4faaae07fd7caba3037.gif

You won't look back on the fruit and greek yougert.

Look at you with your 5m run on Sunday, i done a 45 min cycle, and i mean gentle cycle and that's as energetic as i got for the day.

You have to buy yourself something to motivate you along the way, i got a facial as a treat last week. This week my runners are in, so that's my treat for this week. Oh new tops, i soo need a few too. I want new running socks, so that's on the next treat list and maybe a few tops too;)

Let me know how you get on in the Kayano's, they are a great runner, my whole family runs in them for the last 10 years. I didn't like the last design so am delighted to be switching to Brooks. I'm nervous switching over and the Asics are so good. Just not the right fit for my foot with their newest version.

Enjoy.

Greek Yogurt ughh!:(

Greek Yogurt ughh!:(

Don't knock it til you've tried it Boss. It's yummy.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new runners! I can understand your excitement, I was the same last month :o

Have a lovely time on hols, don't be stressing, it won't hamper your training - 1 week away will just recharge the batteries and you'll be raring to go when your back home. You've put in a lot of hard work, so just go and enjoy your hols, you're earned it! :D

With all the excitment about my new runners i forgot my mileage update:

4m done last night, 38 minutes as compared to last weeks time of 34 minutes for same route. Decided to just tick along, no pressure, i just wanted to lossen out after Saturday's LSR. No need to be so slow as legs felt fine, no aches or pains (*tip wood) but rather air of the side of caution.

8m tonight, am looking forward to it as it's a really tough uphill one. Tough throughout but when you get home you know it's gotta benefit you for DCM. And i'll have my new runners in tow, i hope they'll motivate me even more now as i need motivation with Half Marathon, 20 LSR and then DCM. I'm gonna need every ounce of motivation over the next 7 weeks:(.

Don't knock it til you've tried it Boss. It's yummy.;)

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes :D

Watch out for JEmily on 'Lanzarote Uncovered' all that discipline will go out the window - I bet she'll even make the tabloids:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

wow , lanzarote you lucky thing, and new runners too !!! if you do run in the heat, dont go out too hard, its 10% more effort in the heat and theres lots of hills , after all it is a volcanic island!

Have a ball say hi to the new runners for me

Watch out for JEmily on 'Lanzarote Uncovered' all that discipline will go out the window - I bet she'll even make the tabloids:D:D:D:D:D:D

More like "covered" after all that eating last week. Then last night polished off some Avoca Lemon Cheese Cake & Carrot Cake. There goes the bikini diet out the window:rolleyes:

More like "covered" after all that eating last week. Then last night polished off some Avoca Lemon Cheese Cake & Carrot Cake. There goes the bikini diet out the window:rolleyes:

Does the phrase 'more meat on a butchers pencil' mean anything to you?

8.6m this evening, 1h11m, tough uphill route but worth it when we got home.

New runners felt perfect. They will take a while to break in but i hope to do a few more short runs in them first. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Hey

just started reading the thread today.very good.aiming for dublin too.

was in lanzarote 2 weeks ago.it wont stop your training.theres a lovely run along the seafront all the way to the airport.lovely scenary and a nice breeze but you'd want to go early in the morning as its V hot.

also did my long run in a gym in the old town call the powerhouse gym. its kinda air conditioned which helps!

enjoy the holl

numorouno wrote: »
    Hey

just started reading the thread today.very good.aiming for dublin too.

was in lanzarote 2 weeks ago.it wont stop your training.theres a lovely run along the seafront all the way to the airport.lovely scenary and a nice breeze but you'd want to go early in the morning as its V hot.

also did my long run in a gym in the old town call the powerhouse gym. its kinda air conditioned which helps!

enjoy the holl

Hi,

Yep, been here a few times, ran along seafront this morning early, very hot still. I won´t deny it nearly killed me, red faced and all.

Might try that gym place if i can get used to it in a day or two. Although it is beautiful and it´s a nice treat to sit my arse on sofa at beach for rest of the day;)

Good luck with trainign, will you be able to meet us at any of the training LSR´s on Saturday´s at the phoenix park? Must say i really enjoy.

• Advertisement

Greetings from a very hot sunny Lanzarote. Arrived yesterday, so took last night off too. Had a few glasses of Cava last night and was nearly asleep by 11pm. So had early night.

Got up at 8am this morning for day 1 of sweat hell. Anyway, done a nice 5m to start along sea front, i was soooo hot. Red faced soon followed and sweaty betty. Stuck to a slow 10min miles.

Got back to shop, got some groceries (including 2 new flavours of ben & gerry´s ice cream they don´t have at home) than walked back to apt. Right ankle bit sore, i forgot my ankle support.

Rest of day lounged at sea, was fab. Put ankles in and out of water for the day. Feels good now.

Am going out for dinner tonight so will get ankle brace in pharmacy.

Trying 15m tomorrow or Sunday. Will be a very, very slow 15 or slow 10 depending on how much i sweat. Early morning seems to be the best time, plus it´s motivational to see so many runners out over here, it´s like being in the phoenix park again:) But without the óul blue knees around:(

Missing you all lots x

Greetings from a very hot sunny Lanzarote. Arrived yesterday, so took last night off too. Had a few glasses of Cava last night and was nearly asleep by 11pm. So had early night.

Got up at 8am this morning for day 1 of sweat hell. Anyway, done a nice 5m to start along sea front, i was soooo hot. Red faced soon followed and sweaty betty. Stuck to a slow 10min miles.

Got back to shop, got some groceries (including 2 new flavours of ben & gerry´s ice cream they don´t have at home) than walked back to apt. Right ankle bit sore, i forgot my ankle support.

Rest of day lounged at sea, was fab. Put ankles in and out of water for the day. Feels good now.

Am going out for dinner tonight so will get ankle brace in pharmacy.

Trying 15m tomorrow or Sunday. Will be a very, very slow 15 or slow 10 depending on how much i sweat. Early morning seems to be the best time, plus it´s motivational to see so many runners out over here, it´s like being in the phoenix park again:) But without the óul blue knees around:(

Missing you all lots x

Greetings from a lashing rainy Dublin.

Don't do too much in the heat it'll catch up with you and could ruin your holiday. You've put in the mileage just keep the muscles ticking over.
    Tomorrows the test for me, will keep you posted.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Hi,

Good luck with trainign, will you be able to meet us at any of the training LSR´s on Saturday´s at the phoenix park? Must say i really enjoy.

Thanks for that. doubtful il make any of the runs.

kerry is a bit of a long drive to dublin to do a long run :) ill save my LSR in dublin for the 25th Oct :D

also i meant to say theres another run in lanzarote in the opposite direction of the airport. if you go down to the harbour and head up the zig zag very hill part you can run a lovely run along the clifts towards <cant think of the village> . class view and savage houses.its a bit rough terrain at time but grand once you watch your step. enjoy the holl too

Very tough 15m LSR done last night. Was bit better when the sun actually went down around 7pm. But was still very warm.Won´t lie and say it was my best run, took it very handy, just timed myself for 2.5hrs. On the plus it was handy to jump into kiddies pool afterwards to refresh the legs. All that cobblelock surface played havok with my knees. Not good. Although they feel bit better today. I haven´t the energy to update the board, i´ll do it when i get home Thursday my head is mush from doing nothing but sunbathing all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow JEmily, that's amazing reading! I can't believe you're only on hols a couple of days, and you've got 20 under your belt already :eek: That was one hell of a 15 miler LSR to get done, you are seriously dedicated!

Enjoy the rest of the hols!

it´s motivational to see so many runners out over here, it´s like being in the phoenix park again:) But without the óul blue knees around:(
    Missing you all lots x

At least you've nobody getting in your way ;) what do you mean oul????

At least you've nobody getting in your way ;) what do you mean oul????

Ha, knew you´d pick up on that!!! You´d like the nods over here mrslow, you get nods from most runners. It´s nice motivation in the heat, we´re all suffering. Amazing to think it´s one language we all understand no matter what your nationality, runners pain:)

numorouno wrote: »
    also i meant to say theres another run in lanzarote in the opposite direction of the airport. if you go down to the harbour and head up the zig zag very hill part you can run a lovely run along the clifts towards <cant think of the village> . class view and savage houses.its a bit rough terrain at time but grand once you watch your step. enjoy the holl too

I don´t know any other directions bar the one along the airport run, i´m near MCdonalds on Cardiac Hill (before you say anything mrslow i didn´t purposely pick it!) as they call it, what way do i go for the harbour???

What day is it, Monday, yeah. Well managed walk around the shops today, it was my cross country day as such. Should have walked yesterday but couldn´t have been arsed! Everything feels ok!

My main things at mo are weak right ankle is hanging in there for time being, but is stiff after my LSR´s. Also now have a niggling right big toe. Like it needs to be cracked half way through my LSR, it´s like it goes dead or gets pins and needles. Bit annoying but not the worst.

Onwards and upwards, was thinking about starting training today instead of tomorrow but think i´ll take another rest day as i think my body will take it.

It´s amazing to see all the aches and pain others are having, the mileage is so big now each week, longer LSR´s and now are at least 3/4 of the way into training. The miles are taking their toll. I hope we all hang in there...:(

• Advertisement

Got in (just about) this weeks milage. Done 4m Tues, 9m Wed, 5m this morning. Feeling a bit tired of all this rnning now, or maybe the heat over here is just sooo draining. Even when i start off fresh, within 2 minutes in the heat i feel like i´ve just run a marathon, not nice!I hope to get back to my perky happy normal running self once i get home. I´ll never complain about cold Ireland, never again, at least it´s better for running in anyway.Adios Airport Runs in Lanzarote, i´ll miss the sunbathing and eating but definitely not the training for DCM over here. Good riddance!!!

Advertisement