Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    Got in (just about) this weeks milage. Done 4m Tues, 9m Wed, 5m this morning. Feeling a bit tired of all this rnning now, or maybe the heat over here is just sooo draining. Even when i start off fresh, within 2 minutes in the heat i feel like i´ve just run a marathon, not nice!I hope to get back to my perky happy normal running self once i get home. I´ll never complain about cold Ireland, never again, at least it´s better for running in anyway.Adios Airport Runs in Lanzarote, i´ll miss the sunbathing and eating but definitely not the training for DCM over here. Good riddance!!!

You'll be leaving me for dust on Saturday!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Half Marathon completed yesterday. Whole atmosphere was lovely, very relaxed, very friendly.

Place overall 2361
    Name JEmily
    From Kildare
    Cat. FS
    Place in cat 211
    Chip time N/A
    Finish time 01:51:28

Pity my chip time is not available as would have liked to see my exaxt time:rolleyes:

Delighted i met MrSlow my pacer. Found i was minding my right calf towards the end but was fresh and felt strong. The training in the park with you guys here on boards really stood to me as i knew a few of the routes.

All the training stood to me as i found i was passing people out who were serverly suffering with the mileage. Respect to all the men out running who were alot older than my dad and even nearer my grandad's age. BIG respect, i hope i'll be like that when i'm their age. They made me run faster...:)

Well done everyone else fab times...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play JEmily, great time, you must be delighted. Looks like you're well set for Dublin now :)

xebec wrote: »
    Fair play JEmily, great time, you must be delighted. Looks like you're well set for Dublin now :)

Thanks, now i've just to do the real thing! How you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

1.50 exactly! well done... but couldn't you have gone a little bit faster on the final straight?:)

• Advertisement

Todays Topic:
    HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO A DCM??? Panick stations are kicking in. My calf strain has now moved up into hamstring. Don't think it's anything major but i want to be 100% again.

Also, i thought our pace was too quick at the Half, but thanks to MrSlow he had us paced right. some stages 8.05m/miles were too fast for me. But yet we came in on time as such. I'm afraid i'll go too slow on the DCM day. I'll just have to strap MrSlow to me the week before so i don't lose him at start line.

The reality of 27 miles is slowly sinking in now and i'm nervous, VERY nervous..., maybe the 20 miler will give me some confidence, i hope it all goes well.

Ok enough of moaning, chip times are now up and my official time for Half Marathon (drum roll) is now standing at: 1:50 :D:D:D

Todays Topic:
    HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO A DCM??? Panick stations are kicking in. My calf strain has now moved up into hamstring. Don't think it's anything major but i want to be 100% again.

Also, i thought our pace was too quick at the Half, but thanks to MrSlow he had us paced right. some stages 8.05m/miles were too fast for me. But yet we came in on time as such. I'm afraid i'll go too slow on the DCM day. I'll just have to strap MrSlow to me the week before so i don't lose him at start line.

The reality of 27 miles is slowly sinking in now and i'm nervous, VERY nervous..., maybe the 20 miler will give me some confidence, i hope it all goes well.

Ok enough of moaning, chip times are now up and my official time for Half Marathon (drum roll) is now standing at: 1:50 :D:D:D

Strapping me to you is all very well if we're gonna cross the line together but realistically I think you're in a much stronger position for DCM than I am.;) Relax!!!

Just to make you feel better about things it's 26.2 not 27 miles :P

RayCun wrote: »
    1.50 exactly! well done... but couldn't you have gone a little bit faster on the final straight?:)

Are you being serious or joking? Because there is 2 answers to that question:

1) ARE YOU OFF YOUR ROCKER, no i couldn't go any faster and i think i went fast enough for my little legs thank you very much:p
    2) The honest answer would be i left it too late to pick up the pace at the last mile (or i even should have picked it up with 2 miles to go i think?!), when i did pick it up i was being "sensible Jen" and decided to cruise home not killing myself and minding my little strained calf. I think i was also minding myself for DCM too subconciously!

Why aren't i competitive, seriously, i never thought of it as a race the whole way until the last mile i saw everyone else killing themselves to get to the line and then i said, "i might aswell push on". Idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was only joking - the problem with being in a later wave is that you don't really know what your time is as you're finishing. I did a small 5 mile race in May, crossed the start line a few seconds after the gun, and as I was running to the finish I could see the clock getting closer and closer to 40 minutes. That really pushes you on!

RayCun wrote: »
    I was only joking - the problem with being in a later wave is that you don't really know what your time is as you're finishing. I did a small 5 mile race in May, crossed the start line a few seconds after the gun, and as I was running to the finish I could see the clock getting closer and closer to 40 minutes. That really pushes you on!

Should have brought your Garmin :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Todays Topic:

That's a fantastic time :)
    Seriously, what are you nervous about, that time should give you oodles of confidence for the DCM. Don't sell yourself short. :cool:

5m done last night, i felt very heavy for the first mile or two. Slowly got into it around mile 4.

I'm a bit worried now, my right calf is still very tight, it was tight last night on the run and is even more tight today. I've been stretching it a couple of times a day but i just think it needs time to heal.

It's a week old at this stage and i'm sure that the Half Marathon pace last weekend didn't help matters. I've rested it for the last couple of days and no real improvement:(. Anyone any advice?, will deep tissue massage it again tonight.

To be honest it's not a physio thing as i know it's just torn, but should i rest now until Saturday or keep doing shorter runs and leave out long one the weekend?

Other than that the rest of the body is in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

missy i think you need to c a physio, mine gave me a heel raise in my shoes, much needed !:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you think it is not torn and just tight, then get yourself a foam roller and that should loosen it up.
    Failing a foam roller, a rolling pin or even a tennis ball would do the same job.
    I get very tight calfs and no amount of stretching really helps.

OK, got an appointment with stand in physio tonight @ 7pm (my own physio booked out). So hopefully he can put my mind at rest, even if it is to rest up for a couple of days i don't mind once it goes back to normal.

Just bit worried...i'll fill you all in tomorrow:(

Update: Calf strain still an issue, Half Marathon last weekend didn't help it heal completely. Went out Tuesday for 5m and it still was tight and not right.

I've taken last night and next couple of days off the plan, cream and anti-inflam for next couple of days. If it's not right by Monday off to the physio to check. Feels bit better and looser today so hoping the rest will help. Although i miss running...feeling tad bit guilty alreadyfrown.gif Am hoping it will pay off in the long run though!

On the plus the photos are up from marathonfoto, most of them i look horrendous but this one i like:
    http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=297K98&NegsNumber=74280445&Orientation=P
    And for anyone who think a Half Marathon is easy just look at my face:
    http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=297K98&NegsNumber=74277239&Orientation=P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hope it heals up quickly! Might be worth getting to the physio sooner rather than later, just to make sure it's nothing too serious.

I'm out for Saturday's LSR:( Have to run 6 miles and go straight into physio for her to assassinate the nerve causing the problem:eek:

My wingbud and I, http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=296S36&NegsNumber=74294881&Orientation=P

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm out for Saturday's LSR:( Have to run 6 miles and go straight into physio for her to assassinate the nerve causing the problem:eek:

My wingbud and I, http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=296S36&NegsNumber=74294881&Orientation=P

I could be out myself for Saturday, will see what i'm like by then. Sunday might be more realistic. I'll pencil in Saturday and see tomorrow.

I love that photo, you look like it's a breeze...

I could be out myself for Saturday, will see what i'm like by then. Sunday might be more realistic. I'll pencil in Saturday and see tomorrow.

I love that photo, you look like it's a breeze...

They caught me in a good moment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

schmoozing the camera there mr not so slow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to read about your injury worries, fingers crossed it clears itself up asap!
    mrslow wrote: »

Ah, that's such a lovely pic of you guys :) You both look extremely fresh! I get a red sweaty head on me after just 1 mile! :o

nachoqueen wrote: »
    schmoozing the camera there mr not so slow

One must endeavor to strike a pose at a seconds notice. :rolleyes:

Update: Went back to my Kinesiologist last night, second appointment. I went to her about 6 months ago orginially as i was intruiged, so many people raved about her, she basically can tell what's going on inside your body and then you get some natural herbs and hey presto your cindy crawford, ha, well not really.

Anyway, to cut to the chase went to her for general maintenance, turns out she does accupuncture too so got on with treating my sore calf then and there when it just came up in conversation. Then while they were in done the rest of the nutritional session. Gave me some drops to get which help with muscle repair/damage and also told me to get arnica for calf. She said not to do ANY exercise for at least 4 days then i will be fine.
    I was so happy with the calf treatment that i skipped out the door an hour later. She said to come back to her if coming up to the race that i find anymore niggles, (and this is coming from her - she's booked out for 6 months in advance but said she'd get me in) and she also sponsored me for my charity Arthritis Ireland:)

So that's me laid up for another 4 days, i don't mind as i knew it wasn't right. So Tues/Wed will be D Day...

That was a good evenings work JEmily! Hope that you'll be back to 100% Tues/Weds :)

Sounds good boss, you'll be brand new soon.

It's very funny, was just up buying few bits in The Square at lunch and i noticed that my handbag is now full of ointments, gels and tablets - purely exercise related of course. There was a time when my bag was full of make-up, receipts of clothes and perfume. What's the world coming to:confused:

Contents:
    Glucosamine tabs
    Rhus Tox tabs, my new addition today, natural remedy to heal tissue/muscle, 4 days only
    Arnica gel, new addition too, for calf, 4 days only
    Magnesium tabs, maximum dose, to help with sweet tooth because i'm not allowed sugar
    Voltran tabs, anti-inflammatory, 4 days only
    Voltran gel, anti-inflammatory, 4 days only

I told you i'm going mad not being able to run...:P

Went to physio this morning, just cause i don't want to be worrying too much over calf strain. She said as suspected i've slightly torn/strained muscle. But she said it's not too bad just very tight.

Anyway, she done dry needling (like accupuncture) on it again and she must have been on the point as i went white, felt sick and then got dizzy:(. I've issues with injections in general but i think i'm ok once they don't prod around. But prodding she did but it felt good to have got in at the area of pain.

Anyway, feel fine now, she said to rest up, with a little walking strtching until Tues/Wed. Same as what my kinesiologist said. So they are all speaking same language.

I'm just worried that i'll be off 1 week by next Tuesday. Was hoping as Ray Cun said and do 5m slow Tues/Wed, 8m faster Thursday and go back to physio for deep tissue massage, then i'll have my 20m Sat. Is this feasible, would i be ok fitness-wise, would i have lost much with 1 week off????

I hope i'll be on mend next week and that the muscles will all be well rested and repaired for take-off:(

Hey there, hope you're now on the mend :)

Don't worry, about 1 week off. You've racked up the miles, you're fitness isn't going anywhere :D

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey there, hope you're now on the mend :)

Don't worry, about 1 week off. You've racked up the miles, you're fitness isn't going anywhere :D

Thanks, God now i'm showing how new i am to all of this as i'm terrified. Anyway, thanks for all the support, your great. And you'll be fine with your issue, couple of days off and you'll be brand new. No issue there once your back out on the road.

What are we all like eh!?!

Advertisement