Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

JEmily wrote: »

What are we all like eh!?!

All part and parcel of marathon training I guess! The "fear" of not getting to the start line :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Went to physio this morning, just cause i don't want to be worrying too much over calf strain. She said as suspected i've slightly torn/strained muscle. But she said it's not too bad just very tight.

Anyway, she done dry needling (like accupuncture) on it again and she must have been on the point as i went white, felt sick and then got dizzy:(. I've issues with injections in general but i think i'm ok once they don't prod around. But prodding she did but it felt good to have got in at the area of pain.

Anyway, feel fine now, she said to rest up, with a little walking strtching until Tues/Wed. Same as what my kinesiologist said. So they are all speaking same language.

I'm just worried that i'll be off 1 week by next Tuesday. Was hoping as Ray Cun said and do 5m slow Tues/Wed, 8m faster Thursday and go back to physio for deep tissue massage, then i'll have my 20m Sat. Is this feasible, would i be ok fitness-wise, would i have lost much with 1 week off????

I hope i'll be on mend next week and that the muscles will all be well rested and repaired for take-off:(

We're running 20 on Sunday bud. Glad you went to physio;)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I feel like my racehorse at home when he was in training, stuck in the stiles, waiting for the gun to go and the gate to open so he can get on with his job of galloping to the finishline.

Felt ok over the weekend, tried to busy myself with other things and also got to spend some quality time with my horse which was lovely. The DCM training is so intense i rarely get to ride him anymore.

Strange but my horse is off with an foot injury and i'm off with calf injury. So we both moped around for the last couple of days.

I just hope in the next 3 days this calf miracously dissapears.

Unfortunately the runners are to blame as the other calf is tight in exactly the same spot. Physio said just go with them at this stage. I'm hoping the worst has been done and i can get on with training after this blip.

I'm so delighted with everyone who has got to that 20 lsr mark. How cool, and MrSlow without any niggles or injuries. If anything that just makes me more determined!!!

Went back to Laura (my original physio) this morning at 7am. She worked hard into both calves to release some of the tightness. Was so painful.

Anyway, plan of action, off today and tomorrow. Then Thursday 4m slow, Fri off, Saturday 2m, Sunday nail my 20/21 miler.

I'm hoping it goes to plan. She said unfortunately there is no quick fix to my injury, it will take time. It's a wear and tear injury really and then the new runners just aggrivated it by putting me in a different running stride than my old runners.

So back to my old runners for the DCM and training. New runners i'll keep and walk in them after DCM as i do find them comfy but may need alot more breaking in. The new runners probably are making my stride/position better but the changes are too big so close to the DCM.

I watched the video of the DCM route online last night. Felt a bit dissapointed with myself that i'm injured and why did i change my footwear. I just want to get back out running and feeling good again...noone here should EVER take advantage of any run, even if you feel slow/heavy/tired/etc., if your body is well in general, you are the lucky ones. Just remember that and enjoy!

Roll on Thursday...hopefully i'll stop moaning then too;)

You're sorted now boss - back in action for Sunday!;)

• Advertisement

Ah JEmily, it's very frustrating for you, but you're nearly there, and you'll nail that LSR on Sunday!

Chin up :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Ah JEmily, it's very frustrating for you, but you're nearly there, and you'll nail that LSR on Sunday!

Chin up :)

Thanks, at least i've been tapering for my 20 lsr this weekend as i've been doing nothing the last week. No harm, ha! Ah no i'll be fine just need Thursday to come and then i'll be fine.

Thanks, at least i've been tapering for my 20 lsr this weekend as i've been doing nothing the last week. No harm, ha! Ah no i'll be fine just need Thursday to come and then i'll be fine.

I was beginning to worry I'd have to drag my own ass over the line at DCM

26 Days 22 Hours and 25 Minutes left!:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Looking forward to hearing how Sunday goes for you and I won't hold it against you for being one of the 'splitters' ;-)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing how Sunday goes for you and I won't hold it against you for being one of the 'splitters' ;-)

Thanks Digger, what you running this weekend, are you tapering or your last 20/21 miler. Oh sure your probably bloody running a marathon for your taper next week!!! Ha, only joking, i hope to be able to keep up with you soon. Enjoy Saturday, pity i can't make it.

• Advertisement

Splitters? You should turn up for training on the day you're told like a good lad!

Just thought i'd post a pic of worked on calf yesterday, i'm amazed i'm still alive after that torture, but in fairness feels so much looser. Poor MrSlow has been getting weeks of this, don't know how you do it:(

Just incase any of you thought i was on holidays:cool:

This pic was 8 hours after physio worked on it, severely inflammed and bruised.

28092010005-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bloody hell! :eek:

Just came across this on the web this morning, sort of gave me a "kick up the arse" and a bit of "motivation" to get back out and plough on. Put anything that's happened in the past week behind me.

Fell like just leaving work and running and never stopping after reading these, inspirational:

Constantina Dita

• Favorite pre-race meal: Tiramisu
    • Height: 5ft 3 / 160cm
    Constantina says:
    "I started to train harder and harder and now I have a gold medal in the Olympic Games like Maricica Puică."

Phil Nicholls

• Event(s): 5k, 10k, Cross-Country
    • Height: 6 ft 0 (183 cm)
    What is your favourite pre-race meal?
    Night before- pasta, salad…Race day- secret weapon- Jammy dodgers!!!

What is your favourite post-race treat?
    Jelly Babies and a nice curry with mates
    Phil says:
    "You can't control the winds, the race is won by your ability to adjust your sails."

Michelle Ross-Cope

• Event(s): 5k, 10k, Half Marathon
    • Height: 5 ft 5 (165 cm)

Toast with jam. Banana.
    Chinese Banquet take away
    Michelle says:
    "No matter how hard things get, if you persevere and stay focused you'll get there in the end."

Helen Jenkins (neé Tucker)

• Event: Triathlon
    • Height: 5 ft 7 (169 cm)
    Chicken, salad and nice breads.

Mars Refuel and a big pizza.
    Helen says:
    "It is not how well you train, it's how well you race"

Lolo Jones
    Lolo.jpg
    • Sport: Hurdles (60 and 100 metres)
    Lolo says:
    "If I quit now, what does that say about me? I have to get back on track, I have to just toughen up and get my rhythm back."

All the pictures won't go in but i'll put pic of Lolo in, she's my new inspiration!

Jebas JEmily :eek:, how is it feeling today?? Looks scarily sore!

Just thought i'd post a pic of worked on calf yesterday, i'm amazed i'm still alive after that torture, but in fairness feels so much looser. Poor MrSlow has been getting weeks of this, don't know how you do it:(

Just incase any of you thought i was on holidays:cool:

This pic was 8 hours after physio worked on it, severely inflammed and bruised.

I know your pain soldier!

RubyK wrote: »
    Jebas JEmily :eek:, how is it feeling today?? Looks scarily sore!

Tender to touch off it last night, but feels soooo much looser yesterday and today. It was more scary seeing how tight it was over the past week as it was like a brick and wouldn't loosen up at all. To be honest looks worse than it feels. If it does the job by tomorrow i'll kiss those bruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bloody hell, I was thinking of going to a physio next week, to hammer out any kinks after the last long run... but now I'm not so sure :eek:

If it does the job by tomorrow i'll kiss those bruises.

Now that's flexibility:P

Thanks Digger, what you running this weekend, are you tapering or your last 20/21 miler. Oh sure your probably bloody running a marathon for your taper next week!!! Ha, only joking, i hope to be able to keep up with you soon. Enjoy Saturday, pity i can't make it.

I'm doing 20.....And you'll have no probs keeping up with me come the big day!:)

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    Splitters? You should turn up for training on the day you're told like a good lad!

If I haven't listened to my O/H for the last 23 years I'm hardly going to start listening to you ;)

If I haven't listened to my O/H for the last 23 years I'm hardly going to start listening to you ;)

Mr. Slow puts his head down shaking it slowly with his hand to his forehead and sighs..

Have you not gathered that your never going to win regardless, just give in like any clever man would and admit women are always right;)

Today is THE day, there is a sense of excitement, happiness and real enthusiasm for running building up inside. In the backround looms a big question mark, nervousness, apprehension and dread...

1 week and 1 day of rest DONE, will it have paid off, this evenings 4m will tell a story or two...

Today is THE day, there is a sense of excitement, happiness and real enthusiasm for running building up inside. In the backround looms a big question mark, nervousness, apprehension and dread...

1 week and 1 day of rest DONE, will it have paid off, this evenings 4m will tell a story or two...

You'll be fine, 4 x 7 min miles ;)

Best of luck with it JEmily! Enjoy :D

Due to poxy working late last night i had to abondon my first run back. Was raging, but hey ho, these things happen i suppose. Focus, focus, focus...

Got my 4m run done this morning early, first day out in 1 week and 2 days. Calf felt tight but no pain. First 2 miles i felt really good, so happy to be back out running, 2 miles home not so good, bit tired and legs tight.

Anyway, no pain, so that's the main thing. Hopefully the fitness and body suppleness will come back over the next couple of weeks. Was nice to run on the legs and get the blood circulation moving again.

Was so nice driving into work this morning have some exercise done, never thought i'd say that as exercise is a chore for me, but my god those, "feel good endorphins" are flying around my body now.

2m tomorrow and then the BIG BABY, 21 MILER Sunday!

Due to poxy working late last night i had to abondon my first run back. Was raging, but hey ho, these things happen i suppose. Focus, focus, focus...

Got my 4m run done this morning early, first day out in 1 week and 2 days. Calf felt tight but no pain. First 2 miles i felt really good, so happy to be back out running, 2 miles home not so good, bit tired and legs tight.

Anyway, no pain, so that's the main thing. Hopefully the fitness and body suppleness will come back over the next couple of weeks. Was nice to run on the legs and get the blood circulation moving again.

Was so nice driving into work this morning have some exercise done, never thought i'd say that as exercise is a chore for me, but my god those, "feel good endorphins" are flying around my body now.

2m tomorrow and then the BIG BABY, 21 MILER Sunday!

That's fantastic J, Welcome back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That's great that you are back out running. Fingers crossed for you on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Great news J :D Bet you're relieved to be pain free!

Advertisement