Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Zero to Hero (the simplest way to a Marathon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

mrslow wrote: »
    Have you decided on PMP then???

Yep, it's slightly slower than your PMP 8 miler last night you done;)

I just do a quicker pace really for 2 miles that's comfortable but not insane. After that i hope for the best.

For now between 4 and 4.15 for DCM i'll be thrilled, if i roll in at 4.30 onwards i'll still be happy and hopefully injury free!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    Yep, it's slightly slower than your PMP 8 miler last night you done;)

I just do a quicker pace really for 2 miles that's comfortable but not insane. After that i hope for the best.

For now between 4 and 4.15 for DCM i'll be thrilled, if i roll in at 4.30 onwards i'll still be happy and hopefully injury free!!!

What turned you around?

What turned you around?

It's my first marathon, my first 26 mile run, i really want to enjoy it and hope to do more runs in future. I still want to see how good i am on the day, i will try for sub 4 but if not 4.15 is still fab considering i never really thought i get further than 10 miles at one stage.

It's my first marathon, my first 26 mile run, i really want to enjoy it and hope to do more runs in future. I still want to see how good i am on the day, i will try for sub 4 but if not 4.15 is still fab considering i never really thought i get further than 10 miles at one stage.

Fair play! The pressure was piling on there for a bit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

So going out with the 4 hour guys and seeing how it goes? Sounds like you've got a good plan, trying to enjoy it as much as possible is the most important part for me... (Have I said that before?!)

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    So going out with the 4 hour guys and seeing how it goes? Sounds like you've got a good plan, trying to enjoy it as much as possible is the most important part for me... (Have I said that before?!)

Or go out with 4.15 group (if there is one set up on here) and then see how i go? What to do? I want to enjoy it and be strong finishing? What do you think?

Your so right with the enjoying it part, definitely;)

Got out on a 3.5 mile run last night, was pushed for time so stuck to that instead of 4 miles. Didn't time it but just kept it ticking along. Really enjoyed it only for i was pushed for time to get home to go to a dinner party. Anyway, legs felt little bit tired but always do on the shorter runs.

Got up at 5.30am this morning:eek: to go to physio. Calf feels good now, still bit tight but now back of knee feels tight. Nothing sore but just bit tight. Physio done relaxing deep massage on it, feels lovely and loose now. She said it's fine, just to keep stretching and ice.

Thank god everything seems to be good at mo, long may it last...

Was getting all excited talking about DCM day to physio, am all pumped up here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Or go out with 4.15 group (if there is one set up on here) and then see how i go? What to do? I want to enjoy it and be strong finishing? What do you think?

It's kinda like my marathon strategy. I think I could do 4:10 or 4:15 but the last thing I want to do is go out too fast and regret it, say at mile 20. So I think I will go out with the 4:30 pacers and then judge it for myself if and when I can speed it up slightly.
    I really want to enjoy this and do NOT want to have to walk any part of it not do I want to stumble or collapse across the line.

The difficult thing will be to slow it down for the first few miles.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

jcsmum wrote: »

Form an orderly queue behind me and you'll have no problems about going out too fast ;)

It's kinda like my marathon strategy. I think I could do 4:10 or 4:15 but the last thing I want to do is go out too fast and regret it, say at mile 20. So I think I will go out with the 4:30 pacers and then judge it for myself if and when I can speed it up slightly.
    I really want to enjoy this and do NOT want to have to walk any part of it not do I want to stumble or collapse across the line.

I know, i know, i feel the same. What to do is THE big question. But i suppose that's part of the excitement, the unknown:rolleyes: But your plan sounds good too, i was hoping to keep the sub 4hr balloons in view all the time, while not too close. Then as you said see how i feel mile 20.

Oh the nerves are setting in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

If you want to follow pacers and run with a group then 4:00 is the only option. With all the best will in the world, you're better off following the experienced guys than trying to manage among a group of novices.

If you're able to speed up after 20 miles that's awesome, but from my (very limited) experience the real effort over the last 6 is to hold on to the pace. This will be much easier if you have been going at an even pace the whole way around.

The decision in the end is yours obviously, just make sure you're not doubting yourself!

Around for (possibly) last group run on Sunday morning?

Thanks Xebec for help, just still not sure sub 4 is pushing me too much. Or go out with sub 4.30 and then push on if i can. I know if i'd love to finish sub 4 but i also don't want to push too much and regret/not enjoy it.

I'll see how the legs feel this week and next and then decide.

Last week seemed to be going pretty well and then Friday i went out to do my 6m and my legs were wrecked, i was exhausted and i've never felt so tired on a short run EVER. Got home eventually but hated that feeling. Slow time: 6m - 59mins.

Anyway, took weekend off and for my lsr yesterday went for a long walk. Enjoyed it and am hoping to do my 12m lsr tonight instead. I'm hoping the legs had a bit of good rest and will be back to normal today.

I've gone back to my old runners but have now got a blister on one foot and am now getting pain on the sole of the other foot. How bloody annoying...argh...feel like i'm breaking them back in again. Not liking these issues so close to DCM. I'm hoping they'll sort themselves this week and settle:(
    I wonder is there a spongy insole i can buy to put in them, think they've seen better days to be honest, but i aint going back to the new one's either...???

On the plus side got to ride my horse yesterday as my cross country session;) It was brill although i'm walking like John Wayne today:rolleyes:

Ownership of a horse conjures up images of two abodes, a caravan or a mansion.:D:D:D:D:D

Ownership of a horse conjures up images of two abodes, a caravan or a mansion.:D:D:D:D:D

Sounds posher than it is...p.s. caravan:(:D

Sounds posher than it is...p.s. caravan:(:D

Why d'ya think I've been callin ya boss for the last while?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sounds like a good cross-training day JEmily - and I'd say it did you the world of good.

Mind that calf :) (and those blisters are a curse aren't they!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RubyK wrote: »

Mind that calf :)

Don't tell me she was riding cross country on one of those too :D

digger2d2 wrote: »

Very Good Digger, Very Good.:D

digger2d2 wrote: »

:P very good digger :D

Done my lsr late last night, 11.75 miles. Got dark very early on, but we were armed with flashing arm bands, head torch and reflective gear. Luckily they have just resurfaced alot of the back roads around me recently, otherwise i wouldn't have gone on for fear of another injury.

Really, really enjoyed it, good bit of uphill training (which i'm not allowed do with dodgy calf:rolleyes:) but i took them easy and i felt really good:D.

11.75 miles done in 1h50m, roughly 9.3min/miles. So, so happy, especially after a dreadfull 6 miles last Friday in which i was mentally and physically exhausted.

Looking forward to having a bit more time this week to concentrate on other hobbies, my horse, might even get a session of Pilates in this week and more sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

well done, great run. Nothing like a good run to boost the confidence and make you forget previous bad experiences! :)

well done, great run. Nothing like a good run to boost the confidence and make you forget previous bad experiences! :)

Thanks. Well, have you decided on a time for DCM yet? Ha.

Think MrSlow is getting MrFast since he heard Oprah Winfrey done a marathon in 4.30, he's now firmly set his sights on a sub 4 for that reason;)

Great going there JEmily, you must be feeling really good about the big day now. What's the plan of action? Smashing a sub 4 must be on the cards now :D

Great going there JEmily, you must be feeling really good about the big day now. What's the plan of action? Smashing a sub 4 must be on the cards now :D

I'm hoping sub 4 and i hope i'm not going to kill myself in the process. A couple of minutes under 4 hours would be a complete bonus for my first ever marathon. I'd be thrilled with both though!

What about you, you seem to be flying again now, how's the hip? And more importantly what time you aiming for? Fancy running with another few invalids;)

I'm hoping sub 4 and i hope i'm not going to kill myself in the process. A couple of minutes under 4 hours would be a complete bonus for my first ever marathon. I'd be thrilled with both though!

I think you'll be well under a couple of minutes of that. Your in fantastic form. Fair play to you, you've bounced back from all that injury woes.

What about you, you seem to be flying again now, how's the hip? And more importantly what time you aiming for? Fancy running with another few invalids;)

Nope, I'm going backwards, and I'm not allowed to run again until the weekend at least, and even then, it will only be a very easy trot on grass. I've been advised if the pain doesn't go away completely, I may not get to the startline (but I'm not to think about that senario, I have to stay positive).

OK, i need a brandy and baileys right now.

I... MUST... STOP... RANTING... AT... RUBYK...sorry RubyK. You will be fine, someone give her a big hug and tell her she'll be fine!:)

OK, i need a brandy and baileys right now.

I... MUST... STOP... RANTING... AT... RUBYK...sorry RubyK. You will be fine, someone give her a big hug and tell her she'll be fine!:)

Someone's going taper nutty :P

You've not been ranting at all, just giving some good honest advice, which I appreciate. I owe you a brandy & baileys :D

I won't be a moany h*le any longer. Chin up, and get on with it.

You've not been ranting at all, just giving some good honest advice, which I appreciate. I owe you a brandy & baileys :D

I won't be a moany h*le any longer. Chin up, and get on with it.

You can buy me one when WE finish the DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Someone's going taper nutty :P

That was there long before the taper.......;)

Advertisement