Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ebook reader

• 24-07-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy an ebook reader as a gift for someone but know absolutely nothing about them.

The recipient uses a Windows 7 based PC (don't even know if that's relevant?)

I'm hoping users with a bit of knowledge in this area can advise me as to what I should be going for?

I've heard of the Kindle & I think maybe a Sony one too but now that I'm searching a bit I see many manufactures & it's only confusing me more.

I saw these two in Argos but I'm not a big Binatone fan

Link1:

Link2:

What would users recommend I go for & who would be a good source to buy from?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

a friend has a sony one and ive heard no problems with it and he is a technophobe! I wouldnt touch binatone though .. what about this? http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4769130/art/sony/prs-300-pocket-edition-e.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

iPad :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

iPad :p

I want to spend Approx €180 - €200 Not take out a mortgage :p

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

don't touch that binatone or argos who are selling the sony 6" touchscreen reader for €49 more than everyone else.

Kindle and the Sony readers are the main options in Ireland
    Kindle is ~€177 inc. VAT from Amazon(not sure if there's duty as well as VAT)

Powercity have the sony readers
    PRS-300 - 5" screen - €144.95
    PRS-600 - 6" touchscreen - €249.95

These are €179 and €269 in most other bricks and mortar shops.

There are more options online.

For a big list of different readers -see here

Some of these are only available in the US but others are available worldwide.

http://www.mobileread.com is a great resource for ebook readers.
    Also the Bookeen Cybook Opus comes in a shade under €200 - its a small lightweight reader(150g!) and has a built in accelerometer so when you turn it automatically goes from portrait to landscape and vice-versa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm looking to buy an ebook reader as a gift for someone but know absolutely nothing about them.

The recipient uses a Windows 7 based PC (don't even know if that's relevant?)

I'm hoping users with a bit of knowledge in this area can advise me as to what I should be going for?

I've heard of the Kindle & I think maybe a Sony one too but now that I'm searching a bit I see many manufactures & it's only confusing me more.

I saw these two in Argos but I'm not a big Binatone fan

Link1:

Link2:

What would users recommend I go for & who would be a good source to buy from?

-
    An important question.
    What formats does the Argos one play?
    I agree with Duffman85, I wouldn't buy the Argos one.

I have a Sony e-reader. 2 Actually, gave one to the wife.
    Both are the "505" version. There is a "300" version available too as well as a "700" version.
    It takes PDF, TXT, Doc, RTF, Epub, Jpeg and a good few formats!
    The Sony E-reader is also available for around 170/180 or less as well.
    They link to your Pc with no hassle and your able to place loads of formats on it including music and audio books.

Available from your nearest Waterstones bookshop.
    See here: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/sony+reader+pocket+edition+-+silver+28prs-30029/6929846/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Biggins wrote: »
    An important question.
    What formats does the Argos one play?
    I agree with Duffman85, I wouldn't buy the Argos one.

I have a Sony e-reader. 2 Actually, gave one to the wife.
    Both are the "505" version. There is a "300" version available too as well as a "700" version.
    It takes PDF, TXT, Doc, RTF, Epub, Jpeg and a good few formats!
    The Sony E-reader is also available for around 170/180 or less as well.
    They link to your Pc with no hassle and your able to place loads of formats on it including music and audio books.

Available from your nearest Waterstones bookshop.
    See here: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/sony+reader+pocket+edition+-+silver+28prs-30029/6929846/

+1 for the Sony. I have the 505 as well and it does the job perfectly. Very long battery life, expandable with SD cards. Handles all the standard eBook formats.
    I would recommend using Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to manage it, rather than the Sony software.
    A free account with http://www.feedbooks.com/ will allow automatic download of selected news content to the reader, so you can get the morning papers onto it before hopping onto the bus.
    I have my reader a couple of years now, and it's one of the more useful things I've blown money on.

OK, the general consensus appears to favour the Sony?

Am I correct in saying that the differences between the 505 & Pocket are

The 505 Only holds 160 compared to 350 on the pocket PR 300?? but the 505 it's expandable using Memory stick DUO and SD card slots, whereas, the pocket can hold 350 but isn't expandable?

The 505 is a tad larger in size over the 300?

Is that it, are they the main differences?

I'm using Argos links here but don't intend to purchase there.

505 Link:

300 Link:

Which of those two do you guys recommend I should run with?

-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

OK, the general consensus appears to favour the Sony?

Am I correct in saying that the differences between the 505 & Pocket are

The 505 Only holds 160 compared to 350 on the pocket PR 300?? but the 505 it's expandable using Memory stick DUO and SD card slots, whereas, the pocket can hold 350 but isn't expandable?

The 505 is a tad larger in size over the 300?

Is that it, are they the main differences?

I'm using Argos links here but don't intend to purchase there.

505 Link:

300 Link:

Which of those two do you guys recommend I should run with?

-
    100% Accurate.

If you wish to build up a lot of books and have them at the ready for reading, you can save them (and keep a copy of them I'd recommend on a pc or elsewhere) on a SD card. A size that you can afford.

The 300 came out AFTER the 505 so is a bit more snappier in use, but this does not in ANY way take away from the 505 which is absolutely perfectly usable.

If you want to keep a load of books, audio files and music on a portable device, the 505 with its expansion capabilities is the one to go for.
    If your quite happy to have a smaller amount of items on the 300 (which in itself can hold quite an amount too and can't be knocked) then that is the way to go and you save a few extra bob.

As regards physical size, the 505 is only slightly larger than the 300 and is EASILY holdable within one hand too and with the same hand, using a finger and/or thumb, you can change the pages easily, be ye left or right handed. Its designed that good to do!

TIP: If you own a Sony PSP by the way, you can use that 5 volt charger for the PSP, to charge up the E-reader too when needs be.
    I do it all the time. :)

Thanks Biggins and everyone else for their advice :)

Nice tip for charging too Biggins ;)

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Another vote for the 505. Both it and the 300 are the only Sony ones I'd recommend as the touch layer on the other models leads to glare and contrast issues that really sell e-ink short.

• Advertisement
Advertisement