Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gong targets?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Some news on steels, I had to price a job for hardox (AR400) parts, I would cut them in the CNC Plasma, for stone rake teeth, when I asked about the Heat Effected Zone around the cut area he said it has little or no effect on the tempering, the bad news is this stuff is over €250 + Vat per sq Mtr in 12mm, its a lot less than I paid for the strip previously, as a comparison for ye as I'm sure your not all in the steel business 12mm mild steel is 96.20 per sq mtr. Just thought some of ye might like to know.
    Spannerman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Some news on steels, I had to price a job for hardox (AR400) parts, I would cut them in the CNC Plasma, for stone rake teeth, when I asked about the Heat Effected Zone around the cut area he said it has little or no effect on the tempering, the bad news is this stuff is over €250 + Vat per sq Mtr in 12mm, its a lot less than I paid for the strip previously, as a comparison for ye as I'm sure your not all in the steel business 12mm mild steel is 96.20 per sq mtr. Just thought some of ye might like to know.

I was looking at a few bits today.
    A few buckets, a few pieces of ballast from a crane, various bits and pieces.
    Nothing small enough to carry though

Most of it weighed a tonne pardon the pun.

Might pick it up tomorrow and go making something up. I got all the components, now all I need is the inspiration:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

If enough (wishfull thinking i know) of us got together .. a meter sq could make alot of indestructable targets lol !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If enough (wishfull thinking i know) of us got together .. a meter sq could make alot of indestructable targets lol !

I'd be interested in that, depending on the usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

How many do people think we'd get made out of 1 metre squared?

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    4x1000mm/25mm=160 targets. ~1"target widex10" square.lol I'll get my mate to keep an eye out for the weight off the front of a tractor. Any Tractor owners out there?

Not being funny... but it depends on how big each target is and what shape it is ! a square shape will give best results......

How would guys feel about a 6"x6" target ???

Any other ideas ?

Not being funny... but it depends on how big each target is and what shape it is ! a square shape will give best results......

Get out of town, would never have guessed :p

I suppose that is the question I should have asked

Think that's around 40 targets if losses due to cutting are minimal. Lets say 35.

So at 250 plus vat for materials, plus cost of cutting it up and putting hanging holes in them. Could they come in at around 10-15 euro

Get out of town, would never have guessed :p

I suppose that is the question I should have asked

Think that's around 40 targets if losses due to cutting are minimal. Lets say 35.

So at 250 plus vat for materials, plus cost of cutting it up and putting hanging holes in them. Could they come in at around 10-15 euro

302.50 including vat @21% ..............

Cutting and drilling wont be free unfortunatly so i can guess that it my be up to 50% more ????? still relativly cheap than getting it from a dealer.

hanging brackets can be made up cheaply if required too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Any other ideas ?

1m sq would make 16 targets 250mmx250mm or 10"x10" in old money.

i doubt the steel comes in sheets of 1msq more likely in 1.2x2.4 or 2.4x4.8.

a sheet could be cut out to make a range of sizes to suit it

ie. 16"sq for long range shooting 10" for medium range and 6" for short range.

• Advertisement

302.50 including vat @21% ..............

Cutting and drilling wont be free unfortunatly so i can guess that it my be up to 50% more ????? still relativly cheap than getting it from a dealer.

hanging brackets can be made up cheaply if required too

So yeah if we can get 35 gongs and it costs 450 quid then it would be 12 something a gong at cost price.

Now if I was a shop I'd do this myself as the stock can sit there and would sell over time.

But an individual taking it on is a big deal and could get messy chasing people for money

I have to buy a full sheet at a time, thats 1500x2500 worth €937.50 plus Vat, there need to be about 5-8mm between cuts, a 300mm sq plate cut comes out at about €36 plus Vat, the material is 22.50 and 13 odd quid and 50 cent per pierce for the cutting service, 1200mm of cut each at 1.13 cent/mm in 12mm plate.
    Needless to say it would not be viable to load and index a sheet on the table and then cut just one target, if around six lads were interested I'd do it.
    You'd probably want to throw on a fiver for drilling the stuff, many lads could do it themselves, just use a quality cutting oil and go slow, I'd advise drill rather than plasma the holes, it is less likely to create a stress point.

Is this close to the bone in terms of advertising or should we conduct this through PM's. It does not bother me either way, in fact I prefer openess but I don't want to be seen doing self promotion. I like it here and don't want a ban as I'm mad into my shooting aswell.
    (Gordon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I have to buy a full sheet at a time, thats 1500x2500 worth €937.50 plus Vat, there need to be about 5-8mm between cuts, a 300mm sq plate cut comes out at about €36 plus Vat, the material is 22.50 and 13 odd quid and 50 cent per pierce for the cutting service, 1200mm of cut each at 1.13 cent/mm in 12mm plate.
    Needless to say it would not be viable to load and index a sheet on the table and then cut just one target, if around six lads were interested I'd do it.
    You'd probably want to throw on a fiver for drilling the stuff, many lads could do it themselves, just use a quality cutting oil and go slow, I'd advise drill rather than plasma the holes, it is less likely to create a stress point.

Is this close to the bone in terms of advertising or should we conduct this through PM's. It does not bother me either way, in fact I prefer openess but I don't want to be seen doing self promotion. I like it here and don't want a ban as I'm mad into my shooting aswell.
    (Gordon)

cheers for your openness i would be interested in a proper gong target for 1 i'm sure there are a few others here that would be likewise,
    for instance how much would a 300x300 or what ever it would work out at to allow for cutting ie 290x290 or what ever
    i live in south tip and i am often down in cork so i could pick it up or even pick up a few of them if lads didnt want to drive all the way to cork if they are from up the country

Thanks Poulo,
    Yeah a 300x300x12mm would be €36 plus Vat = €43
    Balls to it, if there are enough interested I'll drill them for that price aswell.
    (Thats for the hardox plate)
    This is if I get the other two jobs that will use up the rest of the plate, I'm fairly sure of one and still waiting on the other. I don't have the funds to have tied up in rarely used plate, there is only me left in the company now :rolleyes:

Anyone wanting a smaller target can make a template out of card or paper and use road marker spray inside it. Should be easy enough see the bullet strikes.

I'd take one for that price anyway

As would I :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Get them made up square (or rectangular) to get 'best value' out of the material; circular gongs will result in a lot of scrap, which will have to be costed into them.

Also, get them in dimensions that correspond well with mildot or similar scope reticles; most scopes have 1/4" (or 1/8")/click turrets, so get the gongs dimensioned in inches.
    I'd suggest 10" square for the young 'uns with their new-fangled metrical stuff, and/or 12" for those of us still firmly ensconced in the age of steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Ah my mates Plasma cutter is no single phase toy ;)

He did not buy it in Lidl, 100K second hand from Germany

Can cut weights off the front of a tractor on the flat. ;)

l

Yeah? Well the Amada Laser cutter i use at work is bigger than your mates plasma cutter.. so there!!!

ive made a 3mm thick gong (pleasant ding on a rimmy or air rifle) out of traffo lids, i cud weld 2 or 3 sandwiched i suppose to allow for centrefires.. then again i cud make use of a scrap turbine from one of our shotblasting wheels (rectangular shape but just add a hanger to it) .. no round would ever even damage it.. only swing it!

flanum wrote: »
    Yeah? Well the Amada Laser cutter i use at work is bigger than your mates plasma cutter.. so there!!!

ive made a 3mm thick gong (pleasant ding on a rimmy or air rifle) out of traffo lids, i cud weld 2 or 3 sandwiched i suppose to allow for centrefires.. then again i cud make use of a scrap turbine from one of our shotblasting wheels (rectangular shape but just add a hanger to it) .. no round would ever even damage it.. only swing it!

The sandwich idea may be a go'er. however would the slap of the rounds break a weld like what happened to one of the lads gongs.

Would drilling and bolting 3 plates together increase is impact strength.

I have seen a few of them amada laser cutters, nice for cutting out obscure shapes in steel plate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

the one i made is two pieces of 6mm steel 13x10inches and a piece of quarter inch ply 15x10inches the steal plates are stuck to either side of the ply with silicone, istacked a few 4 inch blockes on top of the whole thing to squash it as it dryed it only took about 5 hours, iused the ply because all i have for cutting steal is an angle grinder so to drill holes i have two inches of ply sticking up at the top that can be drilled easy with an auger bit. hope this helps:)

Advertisement