Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Moncrieff's hmming

• 24-07-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice how much hmming Sean Moncrieff does.
    Anytime i've ever listened to him, he seems to do it with every second utterance- seemingly worsening with how interesting the issue is to him.
    Stop listening to him you say.
    Might do that.
    Just thought it interesting that a national broadcaster wouldn't be admonished about this irritating habit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmm! Yea well....! I see...! etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

A eh bit like ah eh Marian ah Finucane? eh She ah tends to em stammer her way through her ah show eh too;) And what about Mark Coleman on Newstalk at night who has this really annoying habit of coughing and spluttering through his ahem sentences(just for the sake of balance lest I be accused of being biased against RTE again:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Imo Moncrieff is one the best broadcasters on Irish radio,

He’s funny, articulate and he is very good covering sensitive issues, a great all rounder.
    His “Movies and booze” segment is the best of Irish radio, (even funnier when the movies are crap)
    I can live with a few hmms and haws. He’s light years ahead of anyone in RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Leave Moncrieff alone! There's a lot worse on radio assaulting our ears. Many local radio presenters could do with elocution lessons, never mind eliminating the 'ems' and ers'. At least Moncrieff's funny - and I love his voice overs on some of the earlier 'Come Dine With Me' TV progs.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭essdee

iora_rua wrote: »
    Leave Moncrieff alone! There's a lot worse on radio assaulting our ears. Many local radio presenters could do with elocution lessons, never mind eliminating the 'ems' and ers'.

True. Other broadcasters I like who would never be hired to give elocution lessons are George Hook and Vincent Browne. It just goes to show the importance of content over delivery.

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »

He’s funny, articulate and he is very good covering sensitive issues, a great all rounder.

You're kidding... right?:rolleyes:
    His “Movies and booze” segment is the best of Irish radio, (even funnier when the movies are crap)
    Ahh! Now I know your taking the p1ss out of us!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I completely agree, he's really top notch and that radio show probably runs more smoothly than any other I've heard, the variety of content and the way it's delivered makes for an overall excellent product. A lot of the time I'd have had the radio tuned into Liveline (don't ask me why) and I end up getting annoyed at ould wans whining about the price of cheese, or worse, realise that Liveline has ended and suddenly Derek Mooney is on! Oh the horror. Switching over to Moncrief is like finding the corner of the pub where all the fun people are quietly giggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

If all that is true why haven't Newstalk put him in primetime like 9-11 or 12-2.

I think 9-11 would suit him best as Tom Dunne is not getting the big numbers at all like they thought.

9-11 is a mess at the moment, I feel Tubs will fail miserbly in that spot and his FF/RTE handlers will have to make up a new channel especially for him and his pals "Rte radio D4" maybe.

Anyhows, I think Moncrieff is great just where he is. Agree with Oh Noes, Mooney makes my ears bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Moncrieff is the best thing about afternoon radio IMO, I like Tom Dunne shame he isn't getting the figures hope they don't take him off

• Advertisement

9-11 is a mess at the moment, I feel Tubs will fail miserbly in that spot
    Why? His track record in attracting and retaining listeners is excellent both from his 2FM Brekkie days and from Radio 1.

Why? His track record in attracting and retaining listeners is excellent both from his 2FM Brekkie days and from Radio 1.

Who tells us these figures? How are they calculated? How are they verified?

This is like the myth that 2fm is a profit making station. Without the tax payer funded RTE mothership, it wouldn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

SM is good, except for the "eh eh not chew badge eh", when someone comes on and asks him how he is.
    Larry Gogan should be at home in the bed, ("that was Westside there with Rule the World")
    Mooney should be home knitting with his mother,(byyyyyeeeeeeee)
    Tony Fenton should be shot (fake laugh and put on accent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I absolutely LOVE Sean... but every now and then I do think "just spit it fupping out"! He is very articulate and interesting but how long does it take him to get a sentence out!?!?!

(I love you Sean!!!)

He's a Boardsie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Hmmmm!

It's not what he does but the way that he does it :D

Best light enterainment show in the afternoon IMO.

If only some of it would rub off on Tom Dunne (if I hear about that F***ing duffle coat one more winter I'll make him eat it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The hmmmmm-ing is epic though when he has Paolo on. The first one kicks in almost before Paolo commences to enunciate his deeply pondered response to Sean's opening question.

A bookmaker should start a spread market on it.

Paolo Tullio on Food:-
    First Moncrief Hmmmmmm, 8-10 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

delaad wrote: »

A bookmaker should start a spread market on it.

Paolo Tullio on Food:-
    First Moncrief Hmmmmmm, 8-10 seconds.

I've noticed that too. That said, I really enjoy that slot. Tullio comes across as a man who really enjoys eating, talking and writing about food.

While I think Mooney does a good job on Radio 1, I still tend to listen to Moncrieff. He is funny, articulate (hmmmmm aside), doesn't patronise, and the show can move between a light colour piece, and something much more serious with great ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Clutterfree88

Sean's one of the best presenters on the radio at the moment, just listen when he's on his holier's and the stand-in tries to make some of the of the interviews sound anyway interesting. ps. Tom Dunne is awful, had high hopes for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

ps. Tom Dunne is awful, had high hopes for him.
    I agree, he terrible.
    Sean is good, apart from the "eh, ah, eh, not chew badge, eh, ah eh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I hardly noticed these little irks before ye pointed them out. Today I couldn't help but pick them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

sean is the best presenter on irish radio by a country mile. i notice the humming but i think he does it because he is genuinely interested in the interviewee and the subject. it always comes across that he has done his research on each topic he covers and it sows in the interview.
    He is intelligent and funny characteristics that are sadly missing in a lot of other presenters. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Well said. Nár lagaí Dia do lámh.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I think he makes great radio-and oddly when you think about the amount of time you spend listening to him, he isn't repetitive in the things he says.

Although lately he often sounds like he is sucking sweets on the sly.
    Anyone else notice this.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

The Moncreiff show is fantastic, i just hope he doesnt ever go back to RTE as they would murder his concept of an afternoon show. Its the fact that its on commercial radio that makes it a great show

Advertisement