Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SRAM Shifter slipping while up shifting

• 24-07-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Today while out my rear shifter started making funny clicking while attempting to upshift which quickly turned into a kind of slipping. Lets say I'm in the middle cog and try to move to an easier gear, the shifter might go up, or the lever might go loose and the gears might drop to one of the harder cogs.

Anyone experienced anything like this or know what I should be looking for before I end up disassembling the full shifter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Tighten cable?

Should have bought campy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Removing the hood covers let me find the problem. The little gear wheel inside the shifter has lost some teeth. The SRAM spare parts catalogue doesn't have it listed either, closest is the full casing so looks like it is going to be expensive if the warranty doesn't cover it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think I read on the Cycleways appreciation thread that they can rebuild shifters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This rings a bell, did someone else have trouble with a SRAM shifter last year? I think they went looking for a replacement shifter spool but in the end the only option was a new shifter (or pair of shifters).

Some googling has shown that SRAM are pretty good with honouring their warranty. Part has less than 6 months/5000km use on it which I wouldn't count as much.
    hero-larger.jpg It'd be part 2 on that. The main body isn't serviceable according to the SRAM docs which is why full replacement is needed.

Will contact the guys in Slane Cycles to find out what can be done first thing Monday.

If the person who did have this problem is out there and it is a spare right shifter that you have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

This is the thread (had my friend post on my behalf as I didn't have an account at the time):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884916&highlight=sram+shifter

In the end I received a full replacement shifter under warranty via my LBS, where I hadn't bought the groupset and didn't have a receipt either for it as it was an ebay purchase! Brilliant service from Sram and LBS...think I had it within 2 weeks :)

It's impossible to find spare internal parts for the shifter as I spent and age searching the web. Definitely go with the warranty replacement option.

Thanks for that. Really looks positive as to the replacement.

Although two weeks means I'll need to order replacement shifters to get back on the road. And sure it is probably cheaper just to get the full groupset. But then having a full spare groupsets means I should probably just buy a frameset to "store" them on. Monday could be expensive :o

Advertisement