Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] 15 fatalities at festival in Germany

Options
  • 24-07-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Tragic crushing at the annual Love Parade festival. Sounds like a classic case of poor crowd managment.
    At least 15 people have been killed and dozens injured in a stampede after mass panic broke out at a music festival in Germany, police have said.

The deaths occurred in a tunnel at the Love Parade in the city of Duisburg in the west of the country, where thousands had gathered for the annual techno music festival.

Thousands of other revellers kept partying at the event near Duesseldorf, unaware of the deadly stampede that started when police tried to block thousands more people from entering the already-jammed grounds.

A reporter for German newspaper Bild, Frank Schneider, who was at the festival, said: "I alone have counted 11 dead, it looked shocking."

He said the dead were covered with sheets.

An 18-year-old festivalgoer, Raver Marius, told Bild: "There was no escape, people were standing over me like a wall. I was afraid I die."

Another raver told the newspaper: "I was lucky, found a small gap, but two women next to me died."

Police confirmed that there were at least 15 deaths. Another 10 people had to be resuscitated, reports said.

The German news agency DAPD reported that the stampede broke out after authorities tried to stop thousands of people from entering the area where the parade was being held.

The victims were crushed and that emergency workers had trouble getting through to them, the news agency said.

Comments

Advertisement