Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live and Eircom Zyxel Modem

Options
  • 24-07-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I got a new modem form eircom there about a fortnight ago and the internet works fine, went to plug in the ethernet cable to the modem there and i cant connect to it.

Any suggestions? It connected to the old modem no problems. Not happy because i've wasted about a month of my subscription because of it!

Cheers,

Gavin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 frustrated_mum

I have been totally frustrated with this ... I phoned eircom this morning - what a waste of time!!!!

I went on xbox.com and it just says to open ports ..... did all that --- still won't connect to xbox - wirelessly or ethernet

Please help before I kill my son, xbox and router (zyxel - p-660hw - t1 v3) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Turn on UPnP.
    Set up a static ip.
    Set the Xbox to that ip.
    Have forwarded the correct ports.

That's what I did when I had a Zyxel.

Thank you ... one quick question how do I get a static ip? do I use one like my set ip??

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Thank you .... but..... :( no I did everything

set port forwarding on the router screen
    followed how to set a static ip for router (then I couldn't use the internet til I reset it back)
    set a static ip for xbox 360

None of this worked ... I am normally technically minded but this has blown my head apart ...

Any other suggestions please???

Eircom won't supply me with a netopia I'm slowly losing my mind (even those who know me reckon it departed years ago!!!) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what!!! It worked when I reset the xbox settings and then didn't enter username and password! that is 48 hours wasted!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Turn on UPnP.
    Set up a static ip.
    Set the Xbox to that ip.
    Have forwarded the correct ports.

That's what I did when I had a Zyxel.

How do i do all that?

Im not the most technically minded......................all i want is a bit of Drifting on forza 3 online! :D

Cheers

Hi Gavin, what I did was go into my Zyxel setup by opening a new tab and typing in 192.168.1.254 (think that is the standard address) then type in the password...

click on network, then wireless lan, then click the tab that says WPS and tick the box to enable it then at the bottom click apply

Then
    click on network - NAT
    and click the tab PORT FORWARDING

where it says service name - click the drop down box, then click user define at the bottom .... this open a new option.
    1) tick the active box
    2) in service name type xbox 360
    3) put in start port 53
    4) end port 53
    5) enter your ip address
    then click apply

REPEAT steps 1-5 with port number 80 then with 88 then with 3074
    not forgetting to click apply every time.

I have my security set to wpa2-psk - made my own password. (shout if you need help doing that)

Then I went to the xbox dashboard and went to system settings - then click network settings .... here you can scan for networks and when you find your network click on it and enter your wpa2 password ..... the rest should automatically assign ips etc .....
    don't enter PPPoE settings!!!

Hope this works for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

THANK YOU!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

im not sure if this is gonna help but, I had that router from eircom and was having problems with xbox live, getting disconnected every 30 mins. I tried everything, opened ports, static ip, the lot.

But no luck so I went a bought a decent netgear router and it worked perfectly immediately and has since. that router just aint up to xbox live imo

• Advertisement

Xbox still working ... no disconnection all running perfectly ... Peace has been regained!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

I'm having that same "disconnecting every 30 minutes" problem. It's getting really annoying. Think I'll have to splash the cash on a good router!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

I'm having that same "disconnecting every 30 minutes" problem. It's getting really annoying. Think I'll have to splash the cash on a good router!

Try this:

The router is automatically set to time-out (disconnect) from the internet every 30 mins. All you can do is increase the time-out time.

You can increase it to 9,999 seconds, this gives you about 2 hours before it disconnects again.

You do this by going to your router settings, type 192.168.1.254 into your internet browser bar.

Enter your password, go to NETWORK, then WIRELESS LAN the change the RE-AUTHENTICATION TIMER to 9,999 seconds and IDLE TIME OUT to 9,999 seconds.

This should extend your game time.

Hope this is helpful.

Jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

This seems to have worked. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Havea Vodafone router and much of a muchness really but my xbox settings jsut reset themselves and now its saying somethign about my NAT isnt open and ive only limited thigns available online? wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eaw

Help from other frustrated mum. I have followed help to open ports, but still can't link to x-box. You say to reset x-box, will that lose his game saves and if so how should we back up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rabidbeast

reply to frustrated mum

i have completed steps 1-5 with all the differnet numbers like, 80,88, etc. but then i got stuck when i came to 'I have my security set to wpa2-psk - made my own password.'
    what do i have to do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Hi Gavin, what I did was go into my Zyxel setup by opening a new tab and typing in 192.168.1.254 (think that is the standard address) then type in the password...

click on network, then wireless lan, then click the tab that says WPS and tick the box to enable it then at the bottom click apply

Then
    click on network - NAT
    and click the tab PORT FORWARDING

where it says service name - click the drop down box, then click user define at the bottom .... this open a new option.
    1) tick the active box
    2) in service name type xbox 360
    3) put in start port 53
    4) end port 53
    5) enter your ip address
    then click apply

REPEAT steps 1-5 with port number 80 then with 88 then with 3074
    not forgetting to click apply every time.

I have my security set to wpa2-psk - made my own password. (shout if you need help doing that)

Then I went to the xbox dashboard and went to system settings - then click network settings .... here you can scan for networks and when you find your network click on it and enter your wpa2 password ..... the rest should automatically assign ips etc .....
    don't enter PPPoE settings!!!

Hope this works for you :)

please please please can someone help,i have followed all the steps above been on the phone to eircom for hours(idiots) and im ready to murder my son and throw xbox out the window.......

one thing,the ip address is that the standard 192.168.1.254 that you use or your own? every time i check it seems to be different :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

My Silver Netopia Modem went belly up a few weeks back. And like you lot eircom send me out this useless turd. After messing around with it like you guys I couldn't be bothered, I rang them up and explained the problem. Told them I tried all the things listed here and that my previous modem worked perfectly fine.

They tried to tell me that they don't do the Silver modems anymore.
    I just said that's no good to me, I do little or no browsing etc I mainly use my net for Xbox Live. This prompted her to consult her supervisor. She came back to me and said they'd try to get a silver modem out to me in the next 3 days.

3 days later I get a non eircom branded silver Motorola Netopia router.
    It must not have all the crappy eircom features on it as it was the best and easiest set up of any modem I've used. No port forwarding, no firewall changes, no uPnP. Just stuck the ethernet in, logged in through PPOE and Live PSN WoW and browsing all run flawlessly.

If enough people refuse these new routers and ring up and ask for old silvey they might revert back.

bump any one help?????

• Advertisement

well have been on to eircom again looking for a netopia modem and they point blank refuse to give me one,thay also dont offer any support helping out with setting's for xbox live,when i said ok so if im only able to use my internet service for half my needs can i only pay half my bill :)
    well you no what the answer was,eircom are adamant that it must be a fualty xbox so i tried it on another one same story,going to kill my young lad shortly do come and visit me in my cell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

This solution will more than likely work for xbox live and eircom router:

1) Go into eircom router page - http://192.168.1.254/

2) password is broadband1

3) Go to security - firewall

4) set firewall setting to LOW

save and exit.
    Now try to connect to XBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

j14 wrote: »
    Try this:

The router is automatically set to time-out (disconnect) from the internet every 30 mins. All you can do is increase the time-out time.

You can increase it to 9,999 seconds, this gives you about 2 hours before it disconnects again.

You do this by going to your router settings, type 192.168.1.254 into your internet browser bar.

Enter your password, go to NETWORK, then WIRELESS LAN the change the RE-AUTHENTICATION TIMER to 9,999 seconds and IDLE TIME OUT to 9,999 seconds.

This should extend your game time.

Hope this is helpful.

Jay.

wow,, ive been having the problem for over a yr with perlico, cant wait to try this

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dave sv 650

hi frustrated dad hear,
    i have tried to do what you put up but it comes up internal error
    it worhed when i put in a different service name looks like so
    service name start port end port
    1 name 1 88 88
    2 TCP 80 80
    now for the third one it wont let me use a different service name or the same service name

thanks dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

hi frustrated dad hear,
    i have tried to do what you put up but it comes up internal error
    it worhed when i put in a different service name looks like so
    service name start port end port
    1 name 1 88 88
    2 TCP 80 80
    now for the third one it wont let me use a different service name or the same service name

thanks dave

Try turning the firewall off on the modem.

Advertisement