Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro to sterling...need advise

Options
  • 24-07-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I'm not sure if it is the right place to post, feel free to move it.

In two weeks time I'll be heading for a week to the UK, so therefore I need to change about €1k to sterling, my question is where shall I go to get the best rate is it my local bank or a broker?

regards,
    Zeppi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Your local bank. 1k is not a lot of money, unless you are changing over 10k you dont really get any special rates,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do you get shafted on rates if you withdraw sterling from a local atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

From my own experience the ATM is usually the cheaper option. But you dont know what rate you are going to get until you get your statement, also the bank may charge a fee for non euro withdrawls,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

If you're going to London I'd take the €1K in cash and change it with a broker in the City. Some of the London brokers have great rates for collection on the day (some brokers you need to call / email ahead to get the best rate). This comparison site lets you check:

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

The best brokers can often give you a EUR / GBP rate of around cent either side of the market rate on the day.

Advertisement