Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City NY Pickup Game

• 24-07-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

Havent seen this if it was posted. City launched their kit in NY and played some pick up games with local players, quite a cool idea. Would be nice to see other teams interacting with fans a bit more.

the team playing includes SWP, Harte, Richards, Adebayor and a couple more...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A lad I know from another forum got to play in this. Lucky bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Wish they had of shown more footage tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Really enjoyed that........

Thanks OP:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can we haz fans pleez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

That was excellent... great piece of marketing by umbro and city.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Really enjoyed that. Great find OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Nice idea actually, but that kit is bloody horrible! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So thats why they were crap against Sporting last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

WTF is a "pickup" game??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Whats the second song on that? THe other players looked more skillfull than the city ones haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who has the MCFC tattoo?
    Kolo Toure has a bit of a Stringer Bell thing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

WTF is a "pickup" game??

you've never heard of a pickup game?

basically if you wanna play a game you just stroll down to the pitches and teams are made from the randomers knocking about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

basically if you wanna play a game you just stroll down to the pitches and teams are made from the randomers knocking about...

randomers wearing matching kits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hadn't heard of a pick up game until 2 days ago when one of my Mexican Facebook friends had it up as his status and I asked him. It's what I'd call a kick - about or a kick - around!

I'd say it's more of an American term for it though is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

They probably gave them matching kit for that piece of footage to make it easier on the eye

mars bar wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of a pick up game until 2 days ago when one of my Mexican Facebook friends had it up as his status and I asked him. It's what I'd call a kick - about or a kick - around!

I'd say it's more of an American term for it though is it?

I disagree, a kick about would be with your mates, a pickup game could be 10 people who've never meet before - that doesn't really happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I disagree, a kick about would be with your mates, a pickup game could be 10 people who've never meet before - that doesn't really happen here.

I remember being in a park down in tralee a few years ago with a few mates, we were kicking around a football and a few lads came over to us asking to play a match, think we called it a 5-a-side, yes there were 10 of us, so it does happen here, just not called a pick up game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I remember being in a park down in tralee a few years ago with a few mates, we were kicking around a football and a few lads came over to us asking to play a match, think we called it a 5-a-side, yes there were 10 of us, so it does happen here, just not called a pick up game

I'd agree with this.

Also in the States there is a bit more a tradition of it
    (especially with basketball where is seems to happen a fair bit)

but thats not really a pick up game, as you had your two separate teams
    A pick up game is a game of some kind that is not part of a regularly scheduled season of competition or a championship series. Instead, it is a more-or-less spontaneous game, with teams often made up on the spot. There are no repercussions beyond the final score in terms of standings or future commitment.

Pick up games come about in several ways. One way depends on numbers — either the minimum needed to make the game work or the regulation number. In this method, people hang around until enough players show up and are willing to stay for the duration of a game.

Another way pick up games come about involves a semi-regular meeting, to which many are invited but no one is committed to show up for any particular meeting. This is the case when, for example, there's a basketball night every Monday at a local school gym. Many more people than come on any particular Monday may know about the game, but they come as their schedule permits. Whoever shows up, plays, and if that means unequal numbers on the teams, players usually try to make it as fair as possible by considering talent, height, or other relevant factors for the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

It's obviously organised. City have had a pretty poor turnout attendances so far in America AFAIK.

Think 13,000 only went to the Red Bull Arena for that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Le King wrote: »
    It's obviously organised. City have had a pretty poor turnout attendances so far in America AFAIK.

Think 13,000 only went to the Red Bull Arena for that game.

That was a for a game that involved no American team, and the ground was half full.

Last night there was 23,228 in a stadium that holds 25,189.

Advertisement