Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex Higgins R.I.P. Condolences thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd say he was 20 years ahead of his time, he was that far ahead of everybody else

K-9, you are clearly a snooker fan and I don't go against the nap of your jib. However, don't you think snooker has kind of gone back rather than forward over the last twenty years? The players have become harder, colder, more technical. They play the percentages and don't go for the money shot.

Higgins was a man of his time. I wish the players today were men of his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Haven't been near a PC, radio or TV for the evening and only learned of Alex's passing on checking out AH.
    My initial response was to think...Ah no, which is odd as I'm not a huge snooker fan but would've spent many nights in the mid-late '80s watching him play on the TV with my dad:)

He was indeed a character and endeared himself to many a person like myself who wasn't particularly a mad snooker fan and will be sorely missed:(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

a true character and one of the most naturally gifted players of his time, may he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

RIP Alex. What a great sportsman in his time.

They said in the paper that he was found in his flat. So he died alone? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

WIZE wrote: »
    I think the next hurricane to hit the US should be named Hurricane Higgins in memory of Alex

It might end up killing a bunch of people though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

K-9, you are clearly a snooker fan and I don't go against the nap of your jib. However, don't you think snooker has kind of gone back rather than forward over the last twenty years? The players have become harder, colder, more technical. They play the percentages and don't go for the money shot.

Higgins was a man of his time. I wish the players today were men of his time.

Not a massive fan, but do follow it.
    Trying to give a thread related response, yes and no.

It isn't anywhere near as entertaining and very few "characters" in it, maybe Ronnie is the only one? In the 80's you had Jimmy, Alex and a few others. Much more exciting times and the tv audiences reflect that.

Some of the shots they play now would have been unthought of 10/15 years ago and that is down to players like Jimmy and Alex, Alex being more important IMO.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

R.I.P Alex:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

He made snooker popular but he was not one of my favourite people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

very sad. my dad loved to watch him play, he too is in the latter stages of terminal cancer and is of similar age. Fúcking awful disease :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It doesn't matter the age, to be taken by cancer is an utter waste.

Alex Higgins RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

bonerm wrote: »
    True genius with a cue. Was famed for performing unbelievable pots and snookers were on a level ahead of his peers. He could open up his play to delight the audience once a score of 65-70 had been attained that no-one could match.

Rest under table.

Indeed. Who can forget his amazing clearance against the whirlwind from London town in their 1982 World Championship semi-final match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

very sad. my dad loved to watch him play, he too is in the latter stages of terminal cancer and is of similar age. Fúcking awful disease :(

Sorry to hear that about your father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Saw him in Belfast a few weeks ago.... wasn't til I was past him that I realised who it was. Awful disease, truely shocking.

RIP Alex, legend of the baize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

a nasty bigoted little man.

I already deleted your first post saying much the same thing.

Don't post in this thread again or you will receive a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I vote for Robert Carlyle to play him in the movie version of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RIP Alex Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Ive been through it aswell with my dad which ended last october . PM me if you need to chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

RIP Alex. Live Forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

RIP Alex. He lived as fast as he potted. Finally he can use the rest without worrying about positioning :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Post your opinion elsewhere buddy.
    Oh jeez, if you say so...
    You know very little about the subject so move along!!!
    You haven't one iota of how much or little I know about the subject - good at the auld presumptions aren't ya? :pac:
    I'll do the same: I presume you've never, ever made a negative comment about anything you're not an expert on yourself so...

A person without knowledge of snooker can say they don't understand why Alex Higgins is being referred to as a genius - it's their opinion, and I don't see anything to indicate this is officially a condolences thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    .. I don't see anything to indicate this is officially a condolences thread...

Try the title.

You haven't one iota of how much or little I know about the subject - good at the auld presumptions aren't ya? :pac:
    I'll do the same: I presume you've never, ever made a negative comment about anything you're not an expert on yourself so...

A person without knowledge of snooker can say they don't understand why Alex Higgins is being referred to as a genius - it's their opinion, and I don't see anything to indicate this is officially a condolences thread...

I did put a warning in the Op to tell people to keep it respectful and changed the title post.

I also Pm'd one of the powers that be about the forum you asked for, a few weeks ago, but I got nothing back.

I know it got the Go Ahead, but when I searched for it I couldn't find it, hence the Pm.

It's not surprising though, considering the amount of Pm's they have to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Loved him as a kid but - like most people who have socialized long-term in Belfast city centre - have also been subjected many times to his drunk abuse, minesweeping and aggression.

Sad that anybody dies that young though.

Thought there was a new forum for this mawkish shite anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Try the title.
    D'oh. :o

Still don't think the challenging of the term "genius" in relation to him is disrespectful though.
    But that doesn't mean I don't think it's tragic that a person succumbs to crippling addictions, gets very ill young and totally ravaged by it, and then dies early.

Try the title.

Why don't you rub cock over in your acolytes forum and stop back-seat modding in here, Peter?

• Advertisement

Why do you do this on, what seems to me, every condolence thread on AH?

You've been on Feedback threads too, so it isn't as if you don't know any better!

Just curious! Seems every condolence thread becomes a debate, with you involved specifically!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

stovelid wrote: »
    Why don't you rub cock over in your acolytes forum and stop back-seat modding in here, Peter?

That's totally out of order stovelid, don't do that again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ah fùck, this is what I get when I go on a media blackout, missing the untimely passing of a figure of sport.

Honestly, when the word "snooker" is mentioned who here (of the snooker-watching variety) doesn't have an image of his face come into their minds? This is a goodbye for the part of the imagery of Snooker.

There's only two things that rattle me in life; Mental deficency (Alzheimer's, Dementia) and Cancer. Incredible respect for those who have to deal with it.

The man has had his problems but, dammit, he pushed by them as best as he could.

He can finally rest, the legend himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

K-9 wrote: »
    Seems every condolence thread becomes a debate, with you involved specifically!

Would these be the same condolence threads that only have the word condolence added to the title halfway through as usual?

mikom wrote: »
    Would these be the same condolence threads that only have the word condolence added to the title halfway through as usual?

Call it a failure of will. Or a Kowtow.

• Advertisement

The thread title was changed at 01:17 and a mod warning was edited into the OP, what more do you want?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

why cant people just be honest.

Higgins was a nasty drunken piece of work who happened to play snooker.
    His bigoted/sectarian rants against a fellow Ulsterman (and a true gentleman btw) were distasteful in the extreme, & brought the game into disrepute.

I will not mourn his passing.:P

They would. It's a shame that the usual suspects, who should know better (long time, experienced users of AH), keep dragging these threads into debates over AH policy on RIP threads.

Btw, I recognise I'm adding to the norm on AH condolence threads. It becomes more about policy on Boards rather than condolences.

Relatively new users I can understand, not long time users, big contributors to Feedback threads on the issue, (who get explained the reasoning behind AH condolence threads), No!

It is stamping feet toddler territory!

The reasoning was explained, yet the thread spoiling still continues!

Why don't you rub cock over in your acolytes forum ..

"Rub cock"?

We have no gay members as of yet, but if we do, I'll let you know if you like.

As for "acolytes", I have no idea what the word means .. not a compliment I'm guessing.
    Call it a failure of will ..

The vast majority of AH frequenters have the ability to show decorum and so I don't think there will be any "failure of will", despite the immature noises from the back of the class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I played Alex in two games of pool about 8 or 9 years ago and he gave me the brush both times and then he made me buy him a drink :pac: He told us some fantastic stories about his partying days that night and i'm surprised he lived for as long as he did.

I'll raise a glass to you sir. You will be missed.

I already deleted your first post saying much the same thing.

Don't post in this thread again or you will receive a ban.
    why cant people just be honest.

Higgins was a nasty drunken piece of work who happened to play snooker.
    His bigoted/sectarian rants against a fellow Ulsterman (and a true gentleman btw) were distasteful in the extreme, & brought the game into disrepute.

Cue a ban!

Pete it was dealth with already. If you want to continue this then i suggest you take it to pm.

"Rub cock"?

We have no gay members as of yet, but if we do, I'll let you know if you like.

As for "acolytes", I have no idea what the word means .. not a compliment I'm guessing.

The vast majority of AH frequenters have the ability to show decorum and so I don't think there will be any "failure of will", despite the immature noises from the back of the class.

A retort.

Discursive progress.

I thought you just thanked the bold-text output of Mods?

Nor will we mourn your ban.;)

Stovelid, don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

RIP Alex a true snooker genius. Some classic Matches over the years and some hilarious stories from you and Jimmy White I've read down the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Let's get back on topic.

My own departed dad and myself enjoyed this back in the day.

Quintessential Higgins, all potting, no position, but entertainment all the way...

Let's get back on topic.

My own departed dad and myself enjoyed this back in the day.

Quintessential Higgins, all potting, no position, but entertainment all the way...

Thanks for that,RM.

He was the Connoisseur of Snooker.;)

Would take a brave player to take that long black and then the red on the side cushion on these days!

Scrap 20 years, he was 30 years ahead of his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

R.I.P. Alex , Thanks for the memories ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Turquoise1

RIP Alex Higgins, you had talent and entertained a lot of people who watched snooker back in the 80s. Thanks for the entertainment.

Advertisement