Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex Higgins R.I.P. Condolences thread

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I was 10 going on 11 when Alex won the World Snooker Tournament in 1982. To commemorate this victory I got a damp mop and scrawled in the grease on the ceiling in Granny's kitchen "Alex is great!" Alex "Hurricane" Higgins, Requiescat In Pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

R.I.P ya poor fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭alanclarke1975

Have started my own Condolence book

Feel free to have a look / Leave a comment

Alan

http://www.virtualgrave.ie/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Zuko123

he only won the WC twice and apart from that only 6 ranking tournies i think,so i cant see what was so great about him.To me he was someone who did have talent but wasted it because of an alcohol and persona;ity problem.
    In any other walk of life he would be called a loser.
    Seems we love alco sportsmen from some reason that i will never understand

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Zuko123 wrote: »
    he only won the WC twice and apart from that only 6 ranking tournies i think,so i cant see what was so great about him.To me he was someone who did have talent but wasted it because of an alcohol and persona;ity problem.
    oh shut up you twat and read the thread title. as I'm sure your mother tried to teach you when you were a kid (although you are still acting like one)... if you've nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all.

RIP Alex Higgins.

I have fond memories of going to see him play in Goffs in Naas many a time with my own father who was taken from us thanks to cancer. Another legend gone, but wont be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

I was thinking today, there haven't been any celebrity deaths for a while. Then, right on cue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

what age are you??

stupid post of the day.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I loved this bad boy. Frankly don't watch so much snooker since he faded from the scene ~ I know it's changed too, too much perhaps, but goo old Alex the Hurricane, Higgins .. great.

Bye, bye and thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Any more derailment will result in bans. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

He was human? Perhaps that's what you don't understand, only guessing. He gave us the blood sweat and tears ~ we, and TV are partially responsible for his creation.

Give me one Alex, which I have had the pleasure of enjoying, for ten of the PC Correct brigade of today ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RIP, I'd always take living a life like the Hurricane's and dying at 60 rather than living like a boring old fart til 80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ChewChew wrote: »
    oh shut up you twat and read the thread title. as I'm sure your mother tried to teach you when you were a kid (although you are still acting like one)... if you've nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all.

Banned for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Sad to hear about this. Thanks for the entertainment, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

RIP Hurricane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Ahh that's sad news!! I met him years ago, when I was a kid. He did the official opening of a new shop near where I used to live. Seemed like a nice guy.

RIP Alex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Questions, comments etc. on moderation decisions are welcome by PM. Please do not derail the thread. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

gbee wrote: »
    Give me one Alex, which I have had the pleasure of enjoying, for ten of the PC Correct brigade of today ....
    Jeez, I've heard of those right scoundrels the politically correct brigade, but the politically correct correct brigade...? :eek:

What's political correctness got to do with this anyway? Or has it just got to the stage where it's gonna be brought into any thread at all, even if it's got zero to do with the topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

R.I.P. Alex , you made snooker a lot more entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    What's political correctness got to do with this anyway?

He never bit his tongue when it came to the politics of snooker.

Of course, not only was he not politally correct, he was also not socially correct.

Quiting the game and saying the reason for this was that it had become "the most corrupt game in Sport", doesn't seem like a very PC thing to say to me.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Or has it just got to the stage where it's gonna be brought into any thread at all, even if it's got zero to do with the topic?

Zero to with the topic?

Seems like the user made an apt call to me.

Anyway, here's what I hoped to see in Citywest a few weeks back.

Alex on The Snooker Legends tour, this clip from the UK leg.

This was his last time he was to appear at the Crucible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

OutlawPete wrote: »

here's what I hoped to see in Citywest a few weeks back.

Alex on The Snooker Legends tour, this clip from the UK leg.

This was his last time he was to appear at the Crucible.

Can't believe his unflinching precision so close to his death. He truly was a genius at the game. It's a bittersweet clip I must say :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

RIP

He was a catalyst in making snooker a popular sport and inspired many young fellas that became champions after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Higgins to me was like the Maradona of snooker. Brilliant at his trade but seemed to go a bit mad along the way.

RIP Alex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

RIP Alex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The death of Snooker legend Alex Higgins is sad for two reasons but most especially for the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Special Tribute Documentary just starting there now on BBC2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Very sad. I kind of remember some of those matches from when I was really young trying to stay up late. Definitely remember him calling his wife and child down when he won.

Advertisement