Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a prescription

Options
  • 24-07-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the law on this?

I paid €120 for antibiotics from a pharmacy - they should have been €240 but I filled in that PRSI form thing. I then had an allergic reaction to the drugs on the first day I took them. As I am allergic - they won't be used.

I took one days supply from one type (a blister pack) and the same from another type (loose pill tub). I mention the ifference because the blister pack can be obviously seen to be not interfered with - the loose ones of course are loose, so there's no way to prove they are "clinically" untouched.

Am I within my consumer rights to return them and get a refund?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

Since you have already paid you will not have to pay any more in this month Id advise you to go to your doctors and get him to prescribe you different ones make sure you go back to the same chemist... drugs payment scheme is not linked pharmacy to pharmacy u should be able to get the new antibiotics for nothing.
    Talk to the pharmacist if you have any problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

forgot to say just ring your doctor so you dont have to pay the doctors fee again he should be able to prescribe you something over the phone and you can just collect it!!! hope ive been helpful :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Am I within my consumer rights to return them and get a refund? ...
    Why would you expect the pharmacist to refund you? All s/he did was supply the drugs prescribed by your doctor (who should have asked or known about your allergies / sensitivities to certain drugs), and played no part in assessing their suitability for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Not unless your doctor has a say in it. They'll take the drugs off you but it's not up to them to give you a refund, it's not their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

mathepac wrote: »
    Why would you expect the pharmacist to refund you? All s/he did was supply the drugs prescribed by your doctor (who should have asked or known about your allergies / sensitivities to certain drugs), and played no part in assessing their suitability for you.
    +1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mathepac wrote: »

That comment might be a bit harsh on the doctor. The allergy might not have been previously known.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

That comment might be a bit harsh on the doctor. The allergy might not have been previously known.
    That's a fair point, well made. My apologies to the medic concerned. I guess I went a bit OTT in defending the pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I then had an allergic reaction to the drugs on the first day I took them. As I am allergic - they won't be used.
    Previous to this, did you know that you had an allergy to anything?
    I took one days supply from one type (a blister pack) and the same from another type (loose pill tub). I mention the ifference because the blister pack can be obviously seen to be not interfered with - the loose ones of course are loose, so there's no way to prove they are "clinically" untouched.
    Like anything shoplifted, I can not see how anything returned would be put back on sale. The staff won't know where they kept at the correct temp, or was it left in a place too cold or too hot, they could give an undesired effect, and may result in death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess the question I asked, about consumer rights etc in these sort of matters, remains unanswered. Thanks for all the interest though.

To answer the tangents

No I wasn't previously aware of any allergy.
    No alternative has been prescribed - next step is investigative procedure not drugs.
    I don't "expect" the pharmacist to refund me - I wanted to know the law prior to asking.
    I agree that the temperature/storage thing is an issue - hence my original question.

If anyone knows anything about consumer law in this matter, that's the kind of answer I'd be interested in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Am I within my consumer rights to return them and get a refund?

I doubt it, all medicines cause side-effects which are inherently accepted. The medicines you purchased were not "faulty" (for want of a better word), etc. What aspect of consumer law do you think applies here?

From a practical point of view, returned medicines are of no use as stated previously as there is no audit trail for storage conditions, etc when out of the pharmacy. The system would not work also if everyone looked for a refund on medicines prescribed which did not improve their condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

sesna wrote: »
    I doubt it, all medicines cause side-effects which are inherently accepted. The medicines you purchased were not "faulty" (for want of a better word), etc. What aspect of consumer law do you think applies here?

From a practical point of view, returned medicines are of no use as stated previously as there is no audit trail for storage conditions, etc when out of the pharmacy. The system would not work also if everyone looked for a refund on medicines prescribed which did not improve their condition.

I agree, where I work we will take back baby food and medicine, but they are destroyed immediately, never put back on sale, once they have left the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It would be up to the pharmacy, some would give you your money back but most would not. As for your consumer rights, I'd suggest they do not apply for a number of reason.

The correct drugs were supplied and they were not defective in any way. They were not suitable for you but there is no case for a repair / replace / refund. It is a bit like you "changed your mind" as ridiculous as it sounds!

The pharmacy will have to bin the drugs when they get them back as they cannot guarantee how you stored them and it would be unsafe to resell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I agree, where I work we will take back baby food and medicine, but they are destroyed immediately.
    Why would you accept back babyfood? esp. if you can/will not resell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I returned to the pharmacy today and basically just said I needed to return some drugs that it turned out I was allergic to. They agreed to this without quible.

They accepted the return of the drugs in the blister pack, as they said they could resell those.

The loose ones in the pill tub, as I thought, he could not refund because there was no way to establish they had not been interfered with or whatever. He said they would only bin them.

Would still be interested if anyone knows the actual consumer rights in these instances. So far the replies are largely opinion and anecdotal, which, while interesting, didn't reflect the reality of what occured and doesn't arm people with the right information if they find themselves in the same position.

Hope my story helps others who may find themselves in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

It depends on the pharmacist. However they may well take them back to ensure they are safely disposed of.
    I had a similar situation where I got antibiotics, which just weren't strong enough. By the end of the week I'd tried 4 types of antibiotic and had a load of extras left. I asked the chemist if they would take the excess back (in blister packs) they said they would, but couldn't credit the value against my next prescription. They also wouldn't take back a spray which was not opened.

However, my dad's chemist, regularly take back unused medications and credit it to his account. It may be different because he has the Drug payment scheme, and I don't but it does seem to depend on your chemist and your relationship with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would still be interested if anyone knows the actual consumer rights in these instances. So far the replies are largely opinion and anecdotal, which, while interesting, didn't reflect the reality of what occured and doesn't arm people with the right information if they find themselves in the same position.

Hope my story helps others who may find themselves in the same situation.

Most information you get on an internet forum is opinion, anecdotal or just plain lies.

Why don't you call The Consumers Association of Ireland to find out the truth?

Then you can post back here and help some others in similar situations.

rubadub wrote: »
    Why would you accept back babyfood? esp. if you can/will not resell it?

Am....good customer service?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Am....good customer service?
    As a customer/consumer I would actually be put off your shop, knowing that I have to subsidise the cost of people who return baby food which cannot be resold. Its not like you would really be badmouthed, I could not imagine some mother telling her friend, "I bought a load of babyfood in that shop and the baby didn't like it, and can you believe the cheek of them -they wouldn't take it back and throw it out and foot the cost themselves"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess the question I asked, about consumer rights etc in these sort of matters, remains unanswered. Thanks for all the interest though.

To answer the tangents

No I wasn't previously aware of any allergy.
    No alternative has been prescribed - next step is investigative procedure not drugs.
    I don't "expect" the pharmacist to refund me - I wanted to know the law prior to asking.
    I agree that the temperature/storage thing is an issue - hence my original question.

If anyone knows anything about consumer law in this matter, that's the kind of answer I'd be interested in.

There's nothing wrong with the drugs - its your body that is causing the problem, so the pharmacy has no responsibilty to take back / refund for the drugs.

But I do have a very novel idea - go to the pharmacy and ask them if there is anything they can do. (nicely)

rubadub wrote: »
    As a customer/consumer I would actually be put off your shop, knowing that I have to subsidise the cost of people who return baby food which cannot be resold. Its not like you would really be badmouthed, I could not imagine some mother telling her friend, "I bought a load of babyfood in that shop and the baby didn't like it, and can you believe the cheek of them -they wouldn't take it back and throw it out and foot the cost themselves"

Personally I agree, I wouldn't shop anywhere that took returns of make up / moisturizer etc.

But any time I have dealt with a woman (and it was always a woman) who wanted to return baby milk they were extremely irritate at even having a manager called to dispose of it, never mind not being allowed to return it. And yes of course the cost of the waste is added on to the price of milk that every one pays as are the hundreds of packs that are stolen every year!

I don't know about other supermarkets, but they don't have signs up so I can only presume they take back baby milk and put it back on sale, which is worse?

• Advertisement
Advertisement